PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Cooler Size

NatesGr8
04-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Anyone know what size transmission cooler is used for a 94 LT1, it's for a prostar. I need to order a new one but i'm not near my boat to get the dimensions. Thanks, Nathan.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1099

ski_king
04-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Anyone know what size transmission cooler is used for a 94 LT1, it's for a prostar. I need to order a new one but i'm not near my boat to get the dimensions. Thanks, Nathan.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1099

Best way to cool a tranny is throw to him/it overboard and not allow it back in your boat.

On a serious note, I bet Ski Dim will know which one you need.

6balls
04-12-2005, 05:08 PM
:uglyhamme

Zach S
04-12-2005, 05:33 PM
You guys said "Tranny" :purplaugh

lakes Rick
04-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Isnt there a 6" and 9" offered?? I would install the 9" even if it meant cutting the hose some...

A while back Leec on here said MC upgraded the smaller coolers to the larger ones.. I measure mine once and it is the smaller one...

6ballsisall
04-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Uh huh.. huh.....huh........ hey Beavis, he said tranny. That was cool huh.......huh.......huh :D :D

Engine Nut
04-15-2005, 11:01 AM
If your LT1 or any Indmar engine for that matter, has a V-drive or a Power Slot Transmission, it takes the larger 9" cooler and if it has a 1:1 Transmission it takes the smaller 5" cooler. The 9" and 5" is the sctual length of the cooler bundle, not including the hose fittings. The overlength of the 9" cooler with hose attachments is around 12" and the 5" with hose attachments has an overall length of about 8".

André
04-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Good infos Engine Nut!
Welcome to the board!

east tx skier
04-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Yeah, welcome. I was afraid we were never going to get an answer to this question. Too many people having fun skiing.

NatesGr8
04-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the help fellas, next time i'll be sure to ask my question in a less riskay way.

lakes Rick
04-18-2005, 08:54 PM
If your LT1 or any Indmar engine for that matter, has a V-drive or a Power Slot Transmission, it takes the larger 9" cooler and if it has a 1:1 Transmission it takes the smaller 5" cooler. The 9" and 5" is the sctual length of the cooler bundle, not including the hose fittings. The overlength of the 9" cooler with hose attachments is around 12" and the 5" with hose attachments has an overall length of about 8".

Engine nut, my 94 Maristar V-drive, has the smaller oil cooler.. Would you suggest I upgrade to the larger one???

Engine Nut
04-20-2005, 01:56 PM
If you have never had a transmission overheat issue, I wouldn't change the cooler to a larger one. If it ain't broke ... don't fix it. The smaller cooler has more than enough capacity to adequately cool a 1:1 transmission.

lakes Rick
04-20-2005, 10:15 PM
OK thanks... Seems to work fine so I will leave it alone....

NatesGr8
04-21-2005, 03:20 AM
Enginenut, or anyone else out there?

My boat seems to operate at higher than normal temps, I have the LT-1 and my current operating temperature is about 178 F . This causes me some concern because i know most others run around 165 F . I have recently changed the thermostats and impeller, neither of which solved the problem, also i have checked and cleaned the transmission cooler so i know that is no problem either.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

NatesGr8
04-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Anyone :confused:

planoboy
04-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Rick,
I replaced the tranny cooler on my '94 225VRS right after I got it. Fluid was milky.
the dealer had never seen one w/ a 1" goesinto and a 1.25" goesouta.
used hose barb adapter and small piece of 1.25 hose to make the new one work. (or could've gotten a new hose from walter's to cooler). the price diff b'tween the larger one was not much, if I had a chance to do over, I would get the larger one, just 'cos most boats now use em, and it may be another bigger is better thing.
Regards, Plano

kpickett
04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Enginenut, or anyone else out there?

My boat seems to operate at higher than normal temps, I have the LT-1 and my current operating temperature is about 178 F . This causes me some concern because i know most others run around 165 F . I have recently changed the thermostats and impeller, neither of which solved the problem, also i have checked and cleaned the transmission cooler so i know that is no problem either.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have the '94 LT-1, as well. It also looks like it runs a little hotter than 165. It's hard to tell on mine, though, because the guages change when I turn on the heater or blower. All the guages jump up a bit. I'm with you - clean cooler, new impeller, etc. Hard to know exactly what it is doing.

lakes Rick
04-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Rick,
I replaced the tranny cooler on my '94 225VRS right after I got it. Fluid was milky.
the dealer had never seen one w/ a 1" goesinto and a 1.25" goesouta.
used hose barb adapter and small piece of 1.25 hose to make the new one work. (or could've gotten a new hose from walter's to cooler). the price diff b'tween the larger one was not much, if I had a chance to do over, I would get the larger one, just 'cos most boats now use em, and it may be another bigger is better thing.
Regards, Plano

Thanks for the response Planoboy.... My fluid has always been perfect and I have changed it every other year and no problems...

Are you saying you replaced yours with a new 5" cooler and you had different sized hoses at each end?? I will have to take a look at mine and check that out.....

erkoehler
04-23-2005, 01:37 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it, cause then it will break!