PDA

View Full Version : What brand battery?

phecksel
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
2003 197, battery showing signs of weakness. Don't want to sit for several hours and find it dead.

Monte
05-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Optima marine..

east tx skier
05-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm currently running an optima marine due to size restrictions. It has been fine, but had size not been an issue, I"d go with another Delco Marine battery like I had on my MC. Four years and going strong when I sold it. I had it for three years before I got around to buying a charger. It always started strong, even when I left the key in acc mode for a little long.

bigmac
05-31-2008, 02:55 AM
For what purpose? If you need it mainly for engine cranking and occasional stereo-at-anchor, you're totally wasting your money on an expensive battery like an Optima - just go buy some $60 1000 cranking amp marine battery. OTOH, if you're running a big stereo and lots of other electronics for which you need some deep cycle capability, Optima is a valid choice (although not necessarily the most cost-effective one).

JDK
05-31-2008, 03:20 AM
Trojan brand.
I've been reading a little about home grown electric car conversions and there seems to be a lot of agreement that their deep cycles are about the best for the $$$. For a high power stereo, I'd get one of them (they're cheap)
For starting.... I'd get their biggest marine battery that fits in my battery tray.

east tx skier
05-31-2008, 11:38 AM
For what purpose? If you need it mainly for engine cranking and occasional stereo-at-anchor, you're totally wasting your money on an expensive battery like an Optima - just go buy some $60 1000 cranking amp marine battery. OTOH, if you're running a big stereo and lots of other electronics for which you need some deep cycle capability, Optima is a valid choice (although not necessarily the most cost-effective one).

In my case, I needed a marine battery as they were the only ones in the few group sizes that would fit my battery box that had the extra posts for the stereo. After that, 34m was my best bet for a fit (and a tight one at that. I got an optima on ebay new for $99. I'd say I got a pretty good deal.

TX.X-30 fan
05-31-2008, 02:30 PM

bigmac runs a few of these. :D:D