PDA

View Full Version : noobie teak question (yeah again) ;)

brucemac
05-30-2008, 07:56 PM
so for whatever reason, i'm getting some black spots on my platform. probably from sitting out for a few weeks in the weather while i sold my last boat.

nothing too major, but they bother me.

i simply don't have the time to do it right until later this season, but was wondering, could i remove them in hot dry weekend in the sun by doing the following:

lightly wet sand
tilex
teak cleaner
let dry
teak brightener
let dry
teak oil?

think i could get that done in a hot weekend if out in the sun? or am i being too impatient?

if not, i'll just wait. it's just we've got some road trips planned, one the first week of july and my buddies are all going to see the boat for the first time. :) can't have black spots on my teak!!!

i had put a light coat of oil on last a couple weeks ago and it made them a little darker. i know it's basically mold and maybe it's something i shouldn't start unless i've got the time to do it right. just looking for advice here.

TMCNo1
05-30-2008, 08:28 PM
If it's mold/mildew/choke smoke, clean with a good biodegradable cleaner them some Tilex, Mold and Mildew Remover with a stiff brush, then slap some teak oil on it for the Summer.

brucemac
05-30-2008, 08:43 PM
If it's mold/mildew/choke smoke, clean with a good biodegradable cleaner them some Tilex, Mold and Mildew Remover with a stiff brush, then slap some teak oil on it for the Summer.

thanks harold! hey, when you say good biodegradable cleaner, do you mean like either the star brite or west marine teak cleaner? or something grocery store bought? and in that order you listed right? so you're saying no need for sanding at this point for a quickie?

TMCNo1
05-30-2008, 09:00 PM
thanks harold! hey, when you say good biodegradable cleaner, do you mean like either the star brite or west marine teak cleaner? or something grocery store bought? and in that order you listed right? so you're saying no need for sanding at this point for a quickie?

Super Purple, Greased Lightning, Green Whatever, Fantastic, 409, no specialty stuff, just your typical economical on the shelf local Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware type cleaner. Just something to clean up the gunk on the wood. Sanding is up to you as usual, just depends on what you want it to look like.

brucemac
05-30-2008, 09:14 PM
awesome, thanks! i know it's not rocket science, but don't want to waste my time either. :) thanks again and have a great weekend!

mitch
05-30-2008, 09:19 PM
You've only heard from Harold, I'd hold out for other opinions:D

On 2nd thought, I'd prolly just do exactly what he say's.......

brucemac
05-30-2008, 09:27 PM
lol :) ...

SDAhockey21
05-30-2008, 10:53 PM
hummmmm Harolds opinion holds its own, sometimes...

Gonzo
05-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Some one here told me to take it to a car wash and power wash it, I did and it worked like a champ. Then I did a modified Harold special, sanded with a heavy grit to knock off the few splinters I had (Carefull with the power washer, I did splinter one small piece). Then I oiled.. Dry, light sand, Oiled, Dry... Touch up sand oil dry... oil dry ... touch up oil dry... You may not have to do sooo much touch up but I did because mine had been abused for years by the PO. Hope this helps, here are the results, first pic of my daughter and I sanding is how the teak came out after powerwashing and before sanding... my teak (http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22534&highlight=bringing)

It came out pretty good, no where near as sharp as Harolds, but I didnt have that kind of time since my boat/teak are 2 hrs away and I only visit on the weekends. I plan to do the full on harold special next fall.

brucemac
05-31-2008, 01:25 PM
where'd you find those black wire clamps for the step?

i found some "chrome" plated one's at True Value, but black might be nice

Gonzo
05-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I reused the ones on my platform. I sanded teh white ones and used black rust-o-leum on them, they turned out pretty good but there is still some rust in there. Again with time I would have put them in a friends media shaker (like sandblasting) for a day and then painted them.

TMCNo1
05-31-2008, 01:52 PM
where'd you find those black wire clamps for the step?

i found some "chrome" plated one's at True Value, but black might be nice

IIRC, Stainess Steel ones can be found at various places, like Northern Tool, Tractor Supply among others.

areamike
06-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Just a little FYI to add.
After I re-did my teak, sanding, oil/prep/oil/prep/oil/oil etc. I went to a local canvas shop and had them make me a cover for my platform. Only cost about 60 bucks, made out of Sunbrella and works great preserving my platform longer than exposing it to the sun all day while sitting on my lift.

Gonzo
06-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Man o Man Harold, you need one of those to keep the dust off it in the vault!, I mean heck you have one for hte winch, why not match it on the hind end?

areamike
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Here's a pic

http://www.barefootski.com/files/pics/teak_cover1.jpg

TMCNo1
06-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Man o Man Harold, you need one of those to keep the dust off it in the vault!, I mean heck you have one for hte winch, why not match it on the hind end?

No need, it never sees the light of day!

brucemac
06-26-2008, 06:34 PM
...hee hee :)