PDA

View Full Version : Bilge switch question

RackAtak
04-12-2005, 04:09 PM
My bilge switch has three positions-Manual, Off and Auto. Now my question...With the bilge switch in the auto position, will the bilge work with the boat docked?

Example-If I were to leave the boat in the water over night and a leak developed would the bilge take care of the pumping tasks if left in the auto position even with the key removed? :confused:

jsonova99
04-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Good question, I left mine in auto by accident the last time out. The key was turned off, but still in the ignition which should be the equivalent of having it out. Anyway, whil driving home when the water would slosh around, I would see a stream of water shooting out of the boat in my side mirror. So to answer your question, I would say that it should pump away as long as the battery has juice.

G-man
04-12-2005, 05:07 PM
That is what the auto position was made for. When I kept my boat on a floating lift I left it in the auto position just in case the lift sank.

AirJunky
04-12-2005, 05:07 PM
The auto function of that switch supplies power to the circuit that your float switch is on. So if the water level gets up to a certain level, then the pump should kick on till it drains down to that level (maybe an inch or so of water left). Open your engine cover & look down on the bottom of the bilge, near the pump itself, and you'll see one of these float switches (http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=326163) . Lift it up, pump goes on. Lower it, pump goes off. If it doesn't work, replace it as they do go bad occasionally.
I keep the boat on the lake for months on end. A good cover, battery & the auto function of the bilge pump make it possible.

RackAtak
04-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Perfect...thanks for the quick replies!

erkoehler
04-12-2005, 07:14 PM
We leave our outboard boat in all year, no lift and usually never have any water in the boat.

AirJunky
04-12-2005, 07:34 PM
I suspect that outboards & inboards are going to be drastically different. Outboards are mounted on the transom & any water drains into the basin just forward of it. The last outboard I had any exposure to was my grandfather's when I was a kid & I don't even recall if it had a bilge under the floor. Seems like if it did, the water would have to be pumped out somehow.
Water gets into the boat a variety of ways......everytime I get back in the boat, I bring a bunch of water back into the boat as it drains off me, my suit, vest, ski, etc. Plus an inboard uses a propshaft packing that is intended to leak a small amount for lubrication purposes. Or if you have a cover with a small leak in it. Or a cover that doesn't breathe will cause condensation underneath. There are other holes in the hull that can have small leaks too, where the speedos are screwed in, where the intake grate is screwed in, the exhaust mufflers, etc. My boat will have an inch or so of water in it almost all year due to things like this. The pump will automatically kick on occasionally to manage that. If it kicks on too often, then it's time to start looking for a leak.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-12-2005, 10:58 PM
The auto position should allow the bilge pump to run anytime enough water is in the bilge......ignition on or not. If you want to test, remove your key, unscrew the round cover plate just ahead of the pylon and lift the float way down in the bottom next to the pump. The pump should start running. As mentioned, the only times this will not work is if the battery is dead, if the float doesn't float or if there is a electrical problem.

erkoehler
04-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the info :)

rem_pss308
04-14-2005, 10:54 AM
The auto function of that switch supplies power to the circuit that your float switch is on. So if the water level gets up to a certain level, then the pump should kick on till it drains down to that level (maybe an inch or so of water left). Open your engine cover & look down on the bottom of the bilge, near the pump itself, and you'll see one of these float switches (http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=326163) . Lift it up, pump goes on. Lower it, pump goes off. If it doesn't work, replace it as they do go bad occasionally.
I keep the boat on the lake for months on end. A good cover, battery & the auto function of the bilge pump make it possible.

Good answer!!

Just want to add that the key doesnt have to be on for bilge to work.
Manuel or auto.