PDA

View Full Version : buzzing when key is on

87MCProstar
05-30-2008, 03:37 PM
with the help of a local marine mechanic i found the proper placement on the toggle switch wires and got them hooked up. when i go to turn the key i hear a buzz, the tach moves, volt gauge moves; and when i turn the key back off the gauges go dead and buzzing stops. i think its a ground that isn't connected, since i have a small black wire that came from the bow of the boat that was connected to the ground on the engine. but i can't find the wire. does this make sense to all you electrical gurus?? i just want my boat to start...the weather here is gorgous and i'm getting po'ed. thanks

87MCProstar
05-30-2008, 10:33 PM
nobody has anything huh?

Skipper
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Sounds like you need to trace and inspect your wiring harness. I would start at the battery and check those connections to the engine ground and starter (that ground to the engine is critical). Then trace the wires from the starter to the relay(s), dist, and coil. Also check the resistor and the neutral safety switch on the transmission. If there is corrosion or other problems then correct them and retry. Then follow your wires up to the dash. If you have a kill switch it should be checked. Likely your problem is at the ignition switch itself. Make sure it is wired properly.

The black wire coming from the bow may have been for a light, horn, or something else. The dash panel should come to life when you turn the key but the tach should be reading zero.

Do all of the accessories work? Horn, lights, blower, and bilge?

Not sure of the history on your issue, but given the info you put out, this is how I would approach the problem.