PDA

View Full Version : Comments on new (used) ski

NSXBill
04-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I've read the other two recent threads (Sixam, F1), maybe not thoroughly, but am soliciting some comments:

I'm just starting to look for a new stick (or used)...does the Sixam displace the Maple as Obrian's top ski?

I'm a cheap bastard, but want to only consider the (relatively) top skis from each manufacturer (used or blems, probably):

03-04 F1
Sixam
Maple??
04 Goode 9500 (these seem too complicated to even figure out what I need, amplitude and all)
Monza?
KD something?

What am I missing?

Are the Whileys wraps lace up?

My ability: terrible...will probably never ski beyond 22 off at 34
Current stick: really old Kidder Redline Graphite/Ceramic 65"
My size: 6'0" 175

Planning on going to at least 66" but no more than 67"

I am starting from scratch so please offer comments besides "try them all"

I am gravitating toward the 03-04 F1 as a starting point due to its apparent success for a number of years in a row.

KD and Kidder seem to keep going out of business.

Goode's are just too complicated.

MarkP
04-12-2005, 03:23 PM
My thoughts, Go for the F1, But the current Whiles Maple deal will be hard to beat. I don’t think the Whiles wraps are lace up. I think you can see them at http://www.wileyski.com/

NSXBill
04-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Is the Sixam replacing the Maple?

Doug, why did you ditch your maple? What did you get?

Where can I get lace-ups at Whiley prices?

Those Whiley hi-wraps don't look as nice as my old open-toe Kidder ones (although, they are trashed)

USC8791
04-12-2005, 03:36 PM
You will see a marked difference with any of the skis you have mentioned. The redline was a great ski in it's time (kind of like the Connelly HP). Technology, like skiing style, has changed dramatically since the redline was introduced. Price being your main factor, you may want to consider getting a HO CDX from Wileys. They have been able to get HO to still make this ski in limited numbers for them. Check out their website. You'll have a top notch ski and pay much less than the Monza, Sixam or F1. $900 to $1000+ is a lot to pay for a new rig, especially if you have no plans of getting extreme short line (where you have to have major speed across the wakes). Oh, the Wiley wraps have no laces.

I'm a sucker like most people, and always want "the best," but at some point the reality of one's skill level must come into play. I got smart last time and bought a HO ASX. It's been a good ski to learn the course with. I'm considering the HO System 8 or Connelly F1 as my next stick (maybe end of summer).

Size your ski length based on mfg recommendations. Most people are riding longer skis now. Their theory is "if you can turn it, ride it." You'll have more ski in the water, bigger sweet spot, blah blah etc... I think it's a preference thing.

Check out www.skitek.net, Chris Rossi's website. There is a recent forum post similair to this.

FWIW

east tx skier
04-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Bill, I couldn't make the Mapple work for me. It would edge hunt and I wasn't able to make it work. Really boiled down to it being too much ski for me.

I got a CDX from Wileys with Animal bindings. I love it and would recommend it. It's a very comfortable and forgiving ski in my experience.

You can get lace up venoms from Bennetts for cheap last I checked. Animals, too.

east tx skier
04-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Also, some people use the Wiley trick wraps on their slalom ski for more stability. Supposedly those bindings are quite comfortable.

USC8791
04-12-2005, 03:48 PM
You can get lace up venoms...

I will caution you to stay away from the Venoms. I've had to replace the overlays on each boot four (4) times (no joke). The latest model is constructed of better rubber, but I'm still having issues. Go with the Animals, Wiley boots or even hardshells if you want.

NSXBill
04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Hmmm...two votes for the CDX.

Size: If I was used to an old Kidder at 65" (160 lbs me) and now you go longer (175 lbs me now), where would I start 66 or 67 in the CDX?

Got the Bennetts Link handy?

east tx skier
04-12-2005, 03:53 PM
I prefer the animals, too. But tearing overlays appears to be a common phenomenon in both bindings. We've got both Venoms and Animals with no tears. But we're not putting enough sets on these things to expect much wear.

I keep looking for the opportunity to try out the approach boots, just for grins.

NSXBill
I will caution you to stay away from the Venoms. I've had to replace the overlays on each boot four (4) times (no joke). The latest model is constructed of better rubber, but I'm still having issues. Go with the Animals, Wiley boots or even hardshells if you want.

Probably no hard shells. The Wileys wraps look like from my old EP! 5000 types of wakeboard plates and....

Are Venoms the standard HO wrap?

rodltg2
hope yopu mean 22 off unless your making your own take offs on your rope. will you be skiing course or free skiing? if you are on fact skiing 22 off on the course the sixam, f1 , d3 are good choices.

BriEOD
04-12-2005, 03:54 PM
I ride a KD 7000. I being a cheap bastard like you, bought one with a factory blemish on top of the ski. It is miniscule but saved me a few hundred bucks. I have Wiley double comp boots on it and really like it. It holds an edge well and if you really get leaning has that "extra gear" that sneaks up on you sometimes. I'm not very good either, my PB is 22 off at 34 mph. Granted I've skied the course 2x's in my life (both at ski school). I'm about 5'10 180-185 and I ride a 68" ski. Andre rides the same ski and seems to like it. When I was at ski school last summer the pro was going on and on about KD CR7 as a great intermediate-advanced ski. My last ski was an EP and obviously they have gone out of buisness. I like the KD's, check em' out.

east tx skier
04-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Venoms are the least expensive lace ups they have as far as I know. One difference is that they don't have the superfeet insoles in them like the animals do. I haven't looked closely enough at them to see if the wraps are completely different.

For the kind of skiing you described, I'd go with the Wiley wraps or the wiley trick wraps. The people who've tried them swear by them and replacement parts are readily available.

USC8791
04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
175 lbs; either a 67 or 68 would work (HO would probably recommend 68). HO doesn't have a standard wrap. Most people got the Animals with the CDX. The Venom rubber is softer. I'd probably try the new Approach boots like East Tx mentioned (front laces). But if you prefer a traditional high wrap, go with a set of Wileys. They cost less and there are a ton of people skiing them.

NSXBill
04-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I will probably try get something besides the Wiley wraps. Newer types of bindings is one reason for new ski.

Bennetts link?

Size 66 or 67?

Again, My ability: terrible...will probably never ski beyond 22 off at 34

To clarify: Currently (at least a couple of kids ago) ski course at 15 off into 34 mph. Have reasonable ambitions of skiing into 22 off after some renewed work and spending $$ on modern stick. Will ski open water too, but want to scope ski for course work. Open water will be for wakeboarding and the kids. I'm sure the 209 will suck in the course, but there are other members boats at the club.

east tx skier
04-12-2005, 04:40 PM
www.skibennetts.com Call their 1800 number and ask for the prohshop. See if they have some demo'd skis. We bought one from them for way cheap and it didn't have a mark on it. Boots were very reasonably priced. I'll go ahead and mention again how happy I've been with the 68" CDX (5'10" 170 lbs).

rodltg2
04-12-2005, 04:46 PM
you should consider d3's. seems like everyone at my lake is switching to them. i just bought one at the end of the year, a factory blem for 350.00. i have only used it a few times but i really like it.

www.d3skis.com or try schnitzskiis.com

east tx skier
04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Seems I heard of a couple of the D3s snapping in two last year. This happened to the president of our ski club. I'm not saying don't consider the ski, but I'd call them and ask how this was resolved overall. I know, in my friend's case, they sent him a brand new ski.

SteveO
04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I too am a member of the cheap bastard club. At 5-8 and 175, I went with the KD 7000 67 from Wiley's last year. I have the dual high wraps and they are okay (not great). You can always second guess, but it is still a good buy.

NSXBill
04-12-2005, 05:29 PM
175 lbs; either a 67 or 68 would work (HO would probably recommend 68).

Wow! 68, really? I couldn't turn a 68 back in the day (heavier skis, lighter me). :)

These are some really good advice, like I wanted...good starting point.

Since many have been offering, how about everyone posting their ski type with length, binding, weight/height AND reasonable ski ability (speed/line off).

comments on front vs rear laces? BTW, double bindings are a must for me.

rodltg2
04-12-2005, 05:43 PM
yes they had a problem with the 04 custom X5. it happened to a friend of mine too and they sent them a new ski. the older model which i have and the new ones are good to go.

BriEOD
04-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Since many have been offering, how about everyone posting their ski type with length, binding, weight/height AND reasonable ski ability (speed/line off).

KD 7000 with Wiley Double Comp Boots, 68", 5'10", 183 lbs, 34mph 15/22 off

east tx skier
04-12-2005, 06:08 PM
68" 2002 HO CDX. Double Animal (L) RFF. 5'10" 170 lbs. 41 off @ 36 mph (made you look). ;)

stevo137
04-12-2005, 06:32 PM
CBC club here also. Bought my KD7000 factory blem from Barts two seasons ago. I figure after I ski on it a few times it's gonna get banged up anyway.
Love the 7000, very fast responsive ski with great fin adjustment.
I'm still old school and just use the Comp pc and RTP.
I still tend to dig turn and burn so the 7000 is fine for now but am working on improving my form and the D3 would be first on my list.
I am 180 lbs and prefer 67".

BriEOD
04-12-2005, 06:46 PM
41 off @ 36 mph (made you look). ;)

LMFAO!! Ok Andy...LOL! :D

André
04-12-2005, 06:50 PM
03 KD 7000 with the front Vice boot and rear toe plate.My 2 last skis were Kidder,Redline and FX 7.0 .Felt right at home on the first outting.Skiing 34 mph 28 off at the end of last season.
If you liked your Redline for so many years,you will feel good on the 7000.
On a side note,tell me you're not serious thinking your 209 won't do the job in the course...

BrianM
04-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Currently on a 68" KD7000 with double Wiley High Wraps. I'm 5'11" 185lb skiing 36 mph and currently flirting with 28' off.

BriEOD
04-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Wow, that's 4 of us with the KD 7000. Interesting.

rodltg2
04-12-2005, 07:48 PM
i was skiing on the kd 7000 as well. i loved it . the tip cracked when it fell down and over time it began to crack down the side. so i bought the d3.

whitedog
04-12-2005, 09:10 PM
This makes 5.:D I also ski a 2001 KD 7000 67" Precission dbl hi wrap. Love the ski even though I ski a course once every two years or so. PB is 22 off at 34. 5'10" and 180#.

stevo137
04-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Did the same guy that made the KD7000 start D3?

BriEOD
04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey Bill, that "ices" it man you have to buy a KD 7000 and we are all about your size!! :purplaugh

BrianM
04-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Did the same guy that made the KD7000 start D3?

Yep, that would be Denny Kidder, same guy that designed the famed Kidder Redline of the 80s. Kidder became KD and then Denny sold the company or the rights I don't know for sure and is now running D3.

T-Rager
04-13-2005, 12:29 AM
I had the opportunity to ski with Lucky Lowe and Chris Parish this past weekend. Chris had just received a brand new 6AM. He took it out of the box, installed the binders and fin, and ran full pulls at 38, 39.5 and 41 off. He said the ski was "awesome". It was amazing to watch.

erkoehler
04-13-2005, 12:36 AM
sounds great! :worthy:

André
04-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I had the opportunity to ski with Lucky Lowe and Chris Parish this past weekend.
SHOW OFF, SHOW OFF!!! LOL
Seriously that' quite amazing ski partners.Do you ski with those guys often? Was it a clinic or something? Did you got advices and ride in the boat while they were ripping it?

T-Rager
04-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Andre,

I was taking lessons from Lucky. However, Chris was also in the boat. I am a complete ski slug compared to these guys.

André
04-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Don't be hard on you, those guys are real pros not just playing one on tv...

NSXBill
04-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Yep KD 7000 is popular.

I called Wileys for a little input on the size for me in a CDX or KD7000. Stan(?) said I should go with a 67."

The Animals look like something I'm interested in as well as the KD Comps. Wileys doesn't stock the comps tho...

He also commented that those were both old technology skis. Not that that was bad, but they were 8 yr old technology. But for me, maybe "Old" tech = reliable performance??

Still pondering....

Still wanting inputs for everyone posting their ski type with length, binding, weight/height AND reasonable ski ability (speed/line off).

André
04-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Forgot some infos...
6' 2" , 195 lbs,70 " KD 7000
Bill
Either you go for "old" technology or you really threat yourself and go for top of the line like Monza or Mapple.

NSXBill
04-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Forgot some infos...
6' 2" , 195 lbs,70 " KD 7000
Bill
Either you go for "old" technology or you really threat yourself and go for top of the line like Monza or Mapple.
Wow 70"...67 seems small. How about your PB with that combo? Bindings?

As far as treating myself, I see that I can obtain a better setup than I deserve for less than $600, so probably will not go $800-$1000.

ski_king
04-14-2005, 09:20 AM
I have been tempted to get that Mapple that Wileys is selling for $399, but hearing how it hunts the edge is scaring me of.
I love to run the course and would do that close to 100% of the time if I had my way, but because of others using the course, water conditions, etc. I find myself free skiing about 60% of the time.
I get the impression you can't relax on a Mapple, is this correct?

André
04-14-2005, 09:24 AM
My PB is not close to what a good skier could run on that ski.I'm sure that someone with the right skills could take that ski to 35 off but not me ...I did my 28 off at 34 mph at the end of the season but it will take me at least 2 months to get back there this year...
Any grandmother who would ski half as much as me would be on the Tour...

MarkP
04-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I have been tempted to get that Mapple that Wileys is selling for $399, but hearing how it hunts the edge is scaring me of.
I love to run the course and would do that close to 100% of the time if I had my way, but because of others using the course, water conditions, etc. I find myself free skiing about 60% of the time.

Don’t let the hunting scare you. it’s a small price to pay and you’ll get used to it.

John B
04-14-2005, 11:07 AM
The Mapple is a great ski.When I first got on one it scared the sh!t out of me.With a little fin tweaking, moving the boots forward,and time on the water. It is a great ski now.
I was on the KD 7000 before in got the Mapple.
The Mapple is a light ski,and the KD 7000 is very heavy.
The 7000 is like a anchor and the Mapple is like a feather.
This year I will be skiing on a SixAm but not till I can get out on open water and do some fin tweaking :D

east tx skier
04-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I'll second the light ski comment. Also the easiest thing I've ever deep water started on. Just required some tweeking to get it set up right.

tex
04-14-2005, 12:05 PM
I hear Dick Pope has got a new one coming out that throws up a mean rooster tail! You can do some rock'n dock spraying with it!

NSXBill
04-14-2005, 12:06 PM
What?? Light - heavy...I thought all new skis were extremely light. The 7000 is heavy? Compared to my old Redline?

Doug, what do you mean easy to get up on? Is a lighter ski SIGNIFICANTLY EASIER to get up on???

I know my wife and me struggle with our backs and getting up just kills us.

If a Mapple is easy to get up on, I'm there...hunting or not

BrianM
04-14-2005, 12:11 PM
The KD 7000 is a pretty heavy ski. I would say that it is probably similar in weight to your Redline. The ski is probably twice the weight of my ski partners Goode. That being said it does not feel slow at all and turns well and is easy to get up on as well also doesn't seem to hunt for an edge much.

It may be a bit older technology but I don't feel that it has hindered my progression at all (the ski should hold its own well into 35 off). In fact the ski felt great with stock setting out of the box and I havent touched it.

André
04-14-2005, 02:19 PM
It's certainly heavier than a Mapple but it's not the same category.I'm pretty sure that a CR 7 or a Platinum would be closest to a Mapple in weight.Those couples of ounces or even a pound won't affect your skiing,as a matter of fact i don't think there's a lot of us on this board that can honestly say that their ski is stopping their improvement on the bouy count.
Stock out of the box fin setting for me too!
But this is probably the last KD for me after a Redline ,a FX 7.0 and a KD 7000.
Time to try something else,like a Monza maybe! Never skied HO before.

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 03:19 PM
My brother has a HO and he seems to like it alot. :twocents:

tex
04-14-2005, 03:20 PM
My brother has a HO and he seems to like it alot. :twocents:

I had a few of them in college. They were great!

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Yep, as long as you don't keep the same one for too long! :D

NSXBill
04-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Just went and looked at some skis/bindings at local MC dealer. All they had were HO's.

The Monza blank weights 3.5 lbs! It felt like a feather! Others were noticeably heavier. Having said that, once bindings were added, the weight difference didn't seem to be significant.

I saw the Animal binding, the Vision, and the HO Union? Union was front lace-up and had toe padding like a wakeboard binding. Wait, maybe it was a wakeboard binding...it was on a waterski plate though. Animal was nice...some said left or right on them as well has having front or rear plates. What's that about? None seemed to have nylon straps for the front part of the wrap...

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Weight difference in the ho's that I have rode is definetly noticeable! :D

Sorry!

east tx skier
04-14-2005, 04:29 PM
The animal has insoles in it, so the boots are foot specific.

The mapple and other skis are lighter because they employ all-carbon construction. Skis like the CDX have an aluminum top sheet that accounts for the extra weight. I don't know that weight was the factor in the ease of deep water starts on that ski. All I know is that even at 25 lbs lighter, I don't pop up on the HO as easy on the O'Brien. Once up, I prefer the HO though (much more forgiving).

oxmach
04-15-2005, 11:08 AM
You may want to check out the Goode site, they have demo 9100's which I understand from some were the best ski Goode made prior to the new 9600. Send them an email and they will give you the right spec. You can mount the binder of your choice.

My previous ski's were a Taperflex Apex (short 63", heavy and narrow)
An HO burner, great free ski, very forgiving, easy deep water, comfortable and can perform at 34mph up to a point. I had problems after 22' off but understand the team riders took it up to 41.
I'd like to agree with Andre and say the ski wasn't the problem, but then how do you justify a new Monza :)

André
04-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Easy Gregg, YOU desserve it !!!
...Or sell the Mustang?

bkblaida
04-15-2005, 12:04 PM
For all you 22 off @ 32 mph is about as good as it gets skiers (includes myself) I spent a week at Coble ski school and ended up buying an O'Brien Synchro. April Coble was very convincing that too much ski, meaning too agressive of a ski, kills performance in a weekend skier as much as bad form. We all questioned the shaped ski and its ability to run the course, but Coble grabbed a 2 year old beat up Synchro w/o wing and effortlessly ran the course at 22 off @ 36 mph. Claims she has run the course with the Synchro in the 34 off range but believed that once you can consistantly run it at 22 off, it is time to narrow the ski. Coble's advice...run as big as ski as possible to learn the course. Your next ski should be narrower but keep the length, than for shortline skiing start shortening the ski. I am 5' 6" 150 lbs and use a 69" Synchro. Two sessions with Drew Ross and I still have my Synchro (he agreed with Coble). The Synchro w/double wraps is $429 at Overtons. If you are a weekend warrior that runs the couse when possible, sometimes shares your ski, wants a ski that is easy to get up on and is easy on the body and knows that you will not be on the cover of WaterSki in the near future or ever... try the Obien, you will love it. :dance:

ski_king
04-15-2005, 12:43 PM
For all you 22 off @ 32 mph is about as good as it gets skiers (includes myself) I spent a week at Coble ski school and ended up buying an O'Brien Synchro. April Coble was very convincing that too much ski, meaning too agressive of a ski, kills performance in a weekend skier as much as bad form. We all questioned the shaped ski and its ability to run the course, but Coble grabbed a 2 year old beat up Synchro w/o wing and effortlessly ran the course at 22 off @ 36 mph. Claims she has run the course with the Synchro in the 34 off range but believed that once you can consistantly run it at 22 off, it is time to narrow the ski. Coble's advice...run as big as ski as possible to learn the course. Your next ski should be narrower but keep the length, than for shortline skiing start shortening the ski. I am 5' 6" 150 lbs and use a 69" Synchro. Two sessions with Drew Ross and I still have my Synchro (he agreed with Coble). The Synchro w/double wraps is $429 at Overtons. If you are a weekend warrior that runs the couse when possible, sometimes shares your ski, wants a ski that is easy to get up on and is easy on the body and knows that you will not be on the cover of WaterSki in the near future or ever... try the Obien, you will love it. :dance:
Ok, now I am confused. I was getting close to ordering a Mapple, but maybe the Synchro would be better for me. The best I ever did was 32mph @22 off, give or take a mph and take off loop. But I am rusty now. Would also like my daughters who are 14 and 17 and getting pretty good to be able to use the ski.
Any input?

oxmach
04-15-2005, 01:03 PM
andre;
I've said it before, the car goes before the boat, but maybe if I don't drive it the gas savings will pay for the ski. It would make a nice ski rack sitting up on blocks.

rodltg2
04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
yes the synchro would probably be the better for you. just because a ski is the most expensive and the pro's use it , doesnt mean its the best for you.

bkblaida
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Powerslot - I can only give you my experience...both my 16 year old daughter and I share the Synchro. I have two friends from our week at Coble who also purchased Synchro's and still use them. All of us are in the 15-22 off category and most of us went to school with more expensive skis and left with the Synchro. Since I paid a fair amount of money to learn from Coble I thought it was wise to listen and master the course at 22 than upgrade the ski. You can step up to the O'Brien Siege or its equivalent from another mfg and in total still spend about what the Mapple costs. If you outgrow the Synchro you still have a great ski for guests.

If you are a Connelly fan their new F1X is a shaped ski and is their version of the Synchro. Sells for $460 with double stoker plates or $420 with rear toe plate from Overton's. Worth a look.

east tx skier
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Bill, if you can demo, then it will really ease the decision-making process. Both my wife and I went through a couple of skis before finding one we like. Not as easy for us as their are not shops around here any more that will demo the types of skis we wanted to try. I agree with the notion that a top of the line ski won't make someone like me (and others a better skier). That's why I sold the Mapple and took my ski school instructor's advice and went for the CDX. The different brands don't all ride the same. It's always best if you can find a place that will let you try before you drop the cash on one ski or another.

tex
04-15-2005, 04:31 PM
I have been thinking about upgrading to Riveras. They have these real cool foot pieces that adjust so anyone can use my sticks. They also have the holes already in the back that shoot up a big roostertail.

Ric
04-15-2005, 04:45 PM
I have been thinking about upgrading to Riveras. They have these real cool foot pieces that adjust so anyone can use my sticks. They also have the holes already in the back that shoot up a big roostertail.
Tex, reading from your recent posts, it was a 3 martini lunch today?

NSXBill
04-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey, this is why I posed the question here. I'm learning at an exponential rate. I never said I had to get one of the "top" skis, so am open to anything. I DO want to see a BIG difference from my 1990-91 Redline. This IS a reasonable expectation, right?

And of course, I am a cheap bastard...but that doesn't mean I won't buck-up for a used F1, etc...

I'm taking all this in. Thanks and keep it coming.

east tx skier
04-15-2005, 04:59 PM
My wife and brother-in-law both had redlines. Anything mentioned so far will top its performance from my experience.

MarkP
04-15-2005, 05:01 PM
"a top of the line ski won't make someone like me (and others a better skier)."

:eek: , WHAT!!

tex
04-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Tex, reading from your recent posts, it was a 3 martini lunch today?
No but I have Ranger tickets with Gold Club access tonight-At least 3 martinis!
On a serious note. I suck at slalom but have worked boat shows with manufactuers and top skiers. They all say the most common mistake with buying a ski is that people buy too much ski! I agree, when I did slalom alot, people made fun of my old ski-they would not laugh when I went deeper then them. Just some random thoughts!

oxmach
04-15-2005, 05:25 PM
This might sound strange, but I remember one of the Golf pros being asked what clubs he would recommend. His answer was the ones you like the look of the best. His theory was if you like the look and feel, you will want to use them at every opportunity and by default improve simply by practicing more.
I demo'd an HO Vengence last year with approach bindings, it skied well but I couldn't stand the green graphics. Besides they clashed with the yellow boat.

USC8791
04-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Kind of like sex. You don't want to look down at an ugly woman.

Just say no to ugly skis!

Tgchrist
04-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Went through this last year. Live in Michigan.. My goal was to buy a ski cheap, but a good one that would last me for a while. It is hard to find a ski shop that allows you to demo many different brands.

Mastercraft deals with Connelly
Nautique dealer had HO and O'Brien
Malibu dealer had HO and some D3's.

It was $30-50 to try each for a day or two. Way too expensive!!!!!
Ended up at Performance Ski in Florida. By the way they have deals on demos at various times. Keep an eye on their website.

In any case, tried a Goode, HO, Kidder, Connelly and D3. Had a friend do the same. I think the Goode was not setup well for me but there were many things I liked about it. We both ended up with a 1 year old D3 for less than $500.

Ended up with Connelly bindings. It was between the Connelly and HO Phantoms. I liked the phantoms but any time I would tend to fall back on the ski they would accentuate picking the tip of the ski up. So, Connelly's it is and I am very happy.

Check out the D3 website.

All in all I got a new ski and bindings for under $750. I expect to ski on this for a while. I also was able to increase speed through the course from 30 to 34 in one season.

It is worth demoing if you can.

MarkP
04-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Boy I wish I could demo. My only hope is get into a new used ski for a good enough price that I can sell it if I cant make it work out for me.

erkoehler
04-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Good luck on the search!

east tx skier
04-16-2005, 11:38 PM
You have seen that F1 on ski-it-again for $225. Don't remember the size.

ski_king
04-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Ok, now I am confused. I was getting close to ordering a Mapple, but maybe the Synchro would be better for me. The best I ever did was 32mph @22 off, give or take a mph and take off loop. But I am rusty now. Would also like my daughters who are 14 and 17 and getting pretty good to be able to use the ski.
Any input?
My search is over. I just bought a 04 Mapple 66 in. with BIO Binding and rear toe plate.

tex
04-21-2005, 02:46 PM
just ordered my wife an o4 kd7000 from wylies. Keep it on the down low(birthday present).

tex
04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
just ordered my wife an o4 kd7000 from wylies. Keep it on the down low(birthday present).

it just arrived-good looking stick!

Robert Averyt
04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Get a cdx from wileys and get the new super feet bindings.

I have worn out three cdx sticks in the last 8 years and many sets of boots. I have tried all of the different sticks and always come back to the old faithful. I loved the goode but I have a really bad habbit of popping the handle when I get to deep in a turn. The tip of the goode exploded. F1 was way to unstable for me. It liked to be on edge or it was always trying to get on edge.

MarkP
04-28-2005, 05:21 PM
it just arrived-good looking stick!Shhhhhh

When is the B day?? I cant keep quiet much longer..What size is she getting??

Oh that’s right I just read this entire thread to find out what Bill bought!:rant:

tex
04-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Shhhhhh

When is the B day?? I cant keep quiet much longer..What size is she getting??

Oh that’s right I just read this entire thread to find out what Bill bought!:rant:

Saturday, 65(size not age). It is already tucked away in her old beat up Connelly case.

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 05:46 PM

I have worn out three cdx sticks in the last 8 years and many sets of boots. I have tried all of the different sticks and always come back to the old faithful. I loved the goode but I have a really bad habbit of popping the handle when I get to deep in a turn. The tip of the goode exploded. F1 was way to unstable for me. It liked to be on edge or it was always trying to get on edge.

Robert, are you suggesting the Animals or the Approach boots? Both have superfeet in them.

Robert Averyt
04-28-2005, 05:49 PM
animals are what I like

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 05:51 PM
02 68" CDX with animals. That's what I'm riding.

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Where do they come up with the names of these skis?

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Redmond, Washington.

NSXBill
04-29-2005, 09:19 AM

What are super feet bindings?

Leroy
04-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Robert; I have to ask how do you wear out three CDX's? Boots, ok, but the ski, are you skiing on a sandbar? Please excuse my water ski ignorance! Thanks

Robert Averyt
04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
We do ALOT of skiing. Several things have happened. The thread inserts in the ski pull out. We patch those until they will not hold. Then we have over sized inserts machined. and then when those pull out the ski is usually junk. As I mentioned earlier I have a bad habbit of popping the handle. The front of the ski gets beat and dented after awhile. I am a big guy and I think the ski just gets worn out and does not flex like it should after awhile. The aluminum under the bindings wears through. Did I mention we do alot of skiing.

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:32 AM
What are super feet bindings?

The animal, phantom, and approach boots have foot-specific insoles in them, which is why those boots must be purchased with though given to which foot forward you are (what a sentence). So far, it has enabled me to defend against my LFF brother-in-law's attempts to ski on my ski (he has much larger feet than I do and I don't want him to stretch out my boots like he stretched out my gloves.

Mag_Red
04-29-2005, 11:42 AM
yes the synchro would probably be the better for you. just because a ski is the most expensive and the pro's use it , doesnt mean its the best for you.That's what this old man skiis on :uglyhamme

MarkP
05-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Alright

My new used ski just came. I think I scared the UPS guy because I was standing at the truck when he turned around to exit the truck.:uglyhamme

I have just one word to say, :woohoo: , Come on summer!!!

Leroy
05-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Understand, great for you, I'm envious!

We do ALOT of skiing. Several things have happened. The thread inserts in the ski pull out. We patch those until they will not hold. Then we have over sized inserts machined. and then when those pull out the ski is usually junk. As I mentioned earlier I have a bad habbit of popping the handle. The front of the ski gets beat and dented after awhile. I am a big guy and I think the ski just gets worn out and does not flex like it should after awhile. The aluminum under the bindings wears through. Did I mention we do alot of skiing.

Leroy
05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Congrats Mark, which bindings did you end up with?

Alright

My new used ski just came. I think I scared the UPS guy because I was standing at the truck when he turned around to exit the truck.:uglyhamme

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Alright

Santa Clause dressed in brown!

MarkP
05-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Santa Clause dressed in brown!
I do love that man!! He has come to my house several times in the past few weeks. I think he is coming back tomorrow or the next day with bindings too.:headbang: . Did I say I love that man..

MarkP
05-03-2005, 06:10 PM
I do love that man!! He has come to my house several times in the past few weeks. I think he is coming back tomorrow or the next day with bindings too.:headbang: . Did I say I love that man..

You know, I think the only thing that would make my relationship with brown better is if the gave my rout to a girl..

ski_king
05-03-2005, 06:52 PM
You know, I think the only thing that would make my relationship with brown better is if the gave my rout to a girl..

Mark, congrats on the ski!!

By the way, you live in the wrong end of the county, this is my UPS route driver.

MarkP
05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Mark, congrats on the ski!!

By the way, you live in the wrong end of the county, this is my UPS route driver.SWEET. I may have to move.. Is she is out of Butler??

ski_king
05-03-2005, 07:21 PM
SWEET. I may have to move.. Is she is out of Butler??
I heard she was down in Cranberry today.

MarkP
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Now your making me sweat.. I hope I didn’t look past her and only see her Package :eek:

LakePirate
05-05-2005, 12:32 AM
If any of you self-proclaimed Cheap Bastards are in Orlando Performance (mentioned earlier in the thread) sells used skis for whatever the repair costs were. I almost bought a KD 7000 for like a 100 bucks to have something for guests to ride. Most of them don't want any part or can't fit in the boots of my CR7

BriEOD
05-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Nice photo shop. My UPS person doesn't look like that.

André
05-05-2005, 08:24 PM
I heard she was down in Cranberry today.
Nice work PS82 !!!
I like the Brown Girl!!