PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter crash on the roof of Grand Rapids' biggest hospital

suedv
05-29-2008, 06:24 PM
This helecopter crash (http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8395273) is a big deal in Grand Rapids today. One of my co-worker's wife works at the hospital as a resporatory therapist. He got a chance to talk to her at the end of the day. She said people at the hospital didn't panic, but it was a stressful and tiring day to work through. She said their disaster plans and training proved to be extremely important and successful in saving lives and keeping order through the challenges.

ProTour X9
05-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm glad all are ok; this brings back 9/11.

thijs
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Wow, good thing there wasn't a medical crew on board with a patient. Also nice to hear that there were no big injuries.

Helicopter transport is very safe, but statistics do happen :(

I wonder who would have looked after the scene and the patients?? Doctors and nurses who already have stuff to do, or the EMS crews who are trained in extrication and scene safety issues? ;)

suedv
05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow, good thing there wasn't a medical crew on board with a patient. Also nice to hear that there were no big injuries.

Helicopter transport is very safe, but statistics do happen :(

I wonder who would have looked after the scene and the patients?? Doctors and nurses who already have stuff to do, or the EMS crews who are trained in extrication and scene safety issues? ;)

I agree with you. With a medical crew and patient the outcome would have most likely been much worse.

My co-worker said fuel was getting into the highest floor of the hospital. His wife was involved in moving patients from the pediactric ICU to the Heart Center (in a different part of the hospital). They got patients there and then the power was lost in the Heart Center and they had to move them again. He said the patients they had to move were not simple patients to move around.

thijs
05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
No, ICU patients can be hooked up to a lot of stuff. Sometimes it is quite the balancing act of medications to keep soemone going.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-29-2008, 11:41 PM
I read that this morning and was thankful everyone made it out OK. I cringe everytime I read headlines like that as my brother is a life-flight pilot.

Guy can scare you when driving a car and be whacky as can be, but when he climbs in that pilot seat and that Army/military training kicks in...it's amazing. That piece of machinery becomes one with him.