PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Issues

Willski
05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I have an 84 with one slow to react speedo and one that doesn't work at all. I searched around the board, but don't see much for troubleshooting. Looks like they are hard to come by. Any help?

Willski
05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Actually I have an issue with my tach as well. It seems to stick at a lower value, then will jump up when I tap it. Any thoughts there as well?

jkski
05-29-2008, 02:19 PM
The speedo that is slow to react may have a partially plugged line or a hole in it somewhere and the one that does not work at all is most likely just plugged. you could try cleaning out the pickup tubes with a thin piece of wire and/or blow them out with a compressor(although be very carefull not to use too much pressure.)
Hope this helps.

jkski
05-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I believe the tach reads off of a clip on the distributor(someone will be along to correct me shortly). If this is the case, you may have a bad connection or a bad gauge altogether.

BriEOD
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Speedos could be a multitude of things. Start at the pitot tubes and make sure you clean out any trash. Trying removing the tube and blowing (just your mouth not a tank). If it is clear you will be able to blow through. Next, move to the equalizer tubes. You have one on each side of the boat near the fuel tank. Occasionally, the caps come unsealed. If this is the case you can solder or epoxy it back on. Third, you could have rotted tube which is leaking. You can trace it out and see. Last, you might have a bad speedo. Good luck finding new ones. You can try SkiDim.

BriEOD
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
blow them out with a compressor(although be very carefull not to use too much pressure.)
Hope this helps.

If you use a compressor, make sure you blow it out from the speedo side with the speedo disconnected. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the mechanics of the gauge.

87MCProstar
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
yeah speedos aren't fun to come by...i needed to pick up some myself, i got lucky using great lake skipper...found on ebay they were selling h2o pressured vdo speedos 0-50mph...they had 4 i bought 2 at 35 bucks a piece. now they look excately like the other gauges in the dash

Willski
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I will check out all of the above. Seems like I have tried some of these tricks before. Use to be when they weren't working, they were always clogged at the pito. Now even if I clean those they still don't work. I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks.

Willski
05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
BTW. Skidim has some that look similar from Faria, but not exact, so I would be buying 2 @ $150 apiece!

ski_king
05-29-2008, 03:28 PM
If the speedos are orginal they could have some issues. Do as others said and try to blow out the system from the speedo end. (that sounds gay)

I did update my speedometers a couple of years ago, just before Airguide stopped making them, now I and having sticking problems again. I just ordered new pitots from ski dim, I am told that will solve my problems.

TMCNo1
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Do the new ToobStars have paddleboat speedo pickups or are they the original suck and blow kind? Inspiring mines wont to no!

sethro
06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
willski...same issues with my 85. Last ski of the year late last November everything was fine. Took it out early this spring and had nothing on either speedo. Eventually one of them got up to 15mph and basically stuck there, but did go back down after a while.

I took everything apart starting at the speedo and blew air back...not much pressure as I didn't want to screw anything up. With my mouth or with very light air pressure I can get both speedos to work from the pitot. But in the water I've got nothing on one, and the other is slow to respond...as in speed finally registers correctly at about 3 or 4 ball in the course, which is obviously not acceptable.

I'm about to take everything out from the ballast tubes to the pitots and replace. Seems the gauge is working because I can move the needle with light pressure???

Any other ideas?

Slinkyredfoot
06-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Just a thought, I experienced the same problem as you, I repalced my tubing and my problem was solved. The original Airgudes work as well as they were probably engineered to be at the time they were made. The new piots look good

To me, the inexactness of these older boats add to their charm, I hate anything perfect, I always want to be screwing it up...

sethro
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Well after a bunch of trouble shooting, I decided it had to be the pitot tube on the one not working. I ordered the new venturi style pitots and put them on last night. I also ran new tubing from the pitot to the ballast tube.

Everything works great now.