PDA

View Full Version : 84 Ss Low Batteries

MMCCAR12
05-29-2008, 09:52 AM
My friend and I have early 80's SS boats. He had his converted to fuel injection, throtel body, computer, electric fuel pump etc.. It realy does run great, however the charging system cant keep up with the demand and the batteries will drain off. Yes he put 2 batteries in the boat to try and help. My question is: Has anyone upgrade their charging system with a higher output alternator / requlator on these old boats ? Is there a spell check on this thing ?

JimN
05-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Does the battery go dead, just from sitting? If so, either the bridge rectifier in the alternator (or outboard regulator) is bad or something is mis-wired.

MMCCAR12
05-29-2008, 01:42 PM
No, the charging system just cant keep up with the new demand on it. Back in the old days they used a low output alternator. The boats had no other electrical options other than run a points ignition system. No computer or electric fuel pump or injector systems not to mention a radio of power amps etc.

JimN
05-29-2008, 02:47 PM
What's the capacity of the existing charging system? I thought they were good for >40A back then. I guess if you max out the injectors, fuel pump, ECM and other additional electronic stuff, it would be a strain but I would probably have thought about that when considering an injection system before starting.

Either way, if he calls a motor/alternator rebuild shop, they can set him up with one that has power to spare in the same case. Shouldn't be too expensive.

denverd1
05-29-2008, 03:18 PM
so when it's running, it's draining the batts b/c the alt can't keep up with demand?
have you tested the stock alt?