PDA

View Full Version : If Al Gore had invented the speed boat...

Chas
05-28-2008, 09:48 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/373522/0_21_czeers_boat_long.jpg

Be careful - this thing tops out at a mind-numbing 35 mph. And notice it doesn't have a stereo, or a swim step...

Here is it in motion - warning, the music is pretty bad. No narration, nothing ever comes up, just turn off your speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WepYoOJQf4

CBergerson
05-28-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/373522/0_21_czeers_boat_long.jpg

Be careful - this thing tops out at a mind-numbing 35 mph. And notice it doesn't have a stereo, or a swim step...

Here is it in motion - warning, the music is pretty bad. No narration, nothing ever comes up, just turn off your speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WepYoOJQf4

Whatever......:rolleyes:
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

JimN
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
With his house sucking up power and him frying around the world in jumbo jets, whatever boat he invented would have a 12 cylinder Allison aircraft engine.

35MPH from a solar powered boat is pretty good, though. If they use the right storage batteries, it could probably do 50 for short stretches. Pretty cool boat.

Any idea of its range?

M-Funf
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I like the look of the boat....old school runabout...needs to go faster:cool:

djhuff
05-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Any idea of its range?

I would think as long as the sun is out.

ShamrockIV
05-29-2008, 07:53 AM
next thing u know w will see one of these woth a tower on it!!!

i saw a pontoon boat online the other day with one. had a guy boarding behind it!!

mcdoon
05-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Whatever......:rolleyes:
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Snopes is practically foaming at the mouth in defense of poor Al, but then they're not the unbiased myth busters they pretend to be.

Monte
05-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Neat concept.

CBergerson
05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Snopes is practically foaming at the mouth in defense of poor Al, but then they're not the unbiased myth busters they pretend to be.

The boat is actually pretty cool and it looks like I missed the point anyways. :o

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 08:38 AM
The boat is actually pretty cool and it looks like I missed the point anyways. :o

Yes I believe you did. 8p

wakeX2wake
05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Al Gore's a quack (he blamed the earthquakes in asia on global warming)... boat is neat... wonder what kind of pulling power we're talking about here... i'll rock a battery powered wake boat if it costs the same and is cheaper to operate

Willski
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Just get home before dark!!

captain planet
05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Al Gore's a quack (he blamed the earthquakes in asia on global warming)... boat is neat... wonder what kind of pulling power we're talking about here... i'll rock a battery powered wake boat if it costs the same and is cheaper to operate

No he didn't.

wakeX2wake
05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
No he didn't.

ok but he's still a quack

captain planet
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
ok but he's still a quack

That's fine, believe what you want, but I don't think a Nobel Peace Prize winner would utter the phrase, "Global Warming caused the earthquakes in Asia."

Carbon Dreams
05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
That's fine, believe what you want, but I don't think a Nobel Peace Prize winner would utter the phrase, "Global Warming caused the earthquakes in Asia."

Gore winning anything let alone the Nobel Peace Prize is a sham and just about discredits the award. Thank the heavens that Gore was sent to invent the internet so that we could enjoy forums...Hack...;)

Edit: Wasn't he only given 1/2 of the peace award? How did they split the trophy? Kinda like breaking a wish bone, right...What a Hack...

wakeX2wake
05-29-2008, 01:00 PM
sorry can't believe or stand to listen to someone who doesn't practice what they preach... he talks about energy conservation and waste reduction and he has his own jet he fly around the country in and a large home gulping power off the grid... never believed a word he's ever said really... granted he did win the nobel prize... still not provided me enough undisputable evidence to believe anything he's said

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 01:10 PM

He has stated many times that more intense storms are a result of "global warming" a term now that has been modified due to some unexpected data. :D

JimN
05-29-2008, 01:23 PM
"He has stated many times that more intense storms are a result of "global warming" a term now that has been modified due to some unexpected data."

I think he would have a bit more credibility if he was a meteorologist (a real one, not just a schmuck on local TV) or involved in the Earth sciences (geologist, hydrologist, etc).

From Wiki- "Thus, after returning from Vietnam (receiving a non-essential personnel honorable discharge two months early) Gore turned to journalism and divinity school at Vanderbilt University.[10][21] He attended the program from 19711972 and his goal was to explore "the spiritual issues that were most important to me at the time."[22] He also worked part time as a reporter for The Tennessean , a newspaper in Nashville, Tennessee on the night shift.[22] He would eventually spend five years as a reporter for The Tennessean. His investigations of possible corruption among members of Nashville's Metro Council resulted in the arrest and prosecution of two councilmen for separate offenses.[23] After completing the one year Rockefeller Foundation scholarship, he left the Divinity school to focus on journalism full time.[24] A few years later, he studied law at Vanderbilt. He attended law school from 197476 but "took away no degrees, deciding abruptly in 1976 to run for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives."

No degrees and he studied journalism and Divinity. That makes him uniquely qualified to talk about the climate. Oh, yeah.

I'll give him credit for making noise about the environment and seeing the potential in the internet and that's about all, but it's not as if the environment was being ignored and nobody else saw the internet as a valuable tool. The first Earth Day was in 1970 and ARPA started using IP based networking in '59.

I don't like, or have any respect, for anyone who gloms onto something and tries to make people think it's his own. Become well known for using or improving it, but he shouldn't try to make people think it was his baby.

mcdoon
05-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Yup, an unexpected cold front blew a couple inconvenient truths his way. The king ain't wearing any clothes people.

Chas
05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
OK - so as I was sayin', what do you think of that Solar Boat?

I hadn't thought about batteries, but it would sure make sense to have some on board for extra power, including moving/docking the thing at night. It's pretty long, so I can't imagine a thousand pounds of batteries properly located would slow it down much.

The hull looks more like a displacement design from a sailboat, but it seems to be planing.

Chas
05-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I suppose a covered berth would be out of the picture...

Jorski
05-29-2008, 02:48 PM
No degrees and he studied journalism and Divinity. That makes him uniquely qualified to talk about the climate. Oh, yeah.

Fair enough, but at least Gore refers to actual science. There have been a ton of references on this site to mostly right wing think tanks as the source for opposing opinion. How many times have people on this site brought up the founder of The Weather Network, John Coleman, as a voice for opposing AGW? His qualifications? Former economist, no education whatsoever to do with climate, or science for that matter. But I guess that is okay because, he did start a TV station, that happened to report weather.

Anyhow, FWIW, I agree that I would prefer to form my opinion based upon peer reviewed science.

mcdoon
05-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Fair enough, but at least Gore refers to actual science.

<choke, cough>
You can't be serious. Actual science was abandoned long ago on the left side of the argument. Al & Co. have found that showmanship and outshouting your opponents is far more effective in winning lazy minds to your side. Things will get much better for us all when true scientific method, not a consensus of 'experts', is once again the basis for establishing fact.

CBergerson
05-29-2008, 03:18 PM
<choke, cough>
You can't be serious. Actual science was abandoned long ago on the left side of the argument. Al & Co. have found that showmanship and outshouting your opponents is far more effective in winning lazy minds to your side. Things will get much better for us all when true scientific method, not a consensus of 'experts', is once again the basis for establishing fact.

Dude. Are you familar with the concept of 'projection'?

CBergerson
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
<choke, cough>

Like the showmanship and shouting down of opponents during the build-up to the Iraq war?

mpm32
05-29-2008, 03:28 PM
doh, :popcorn:

I take Global Warming to effect weather patterns and change the climate. Most people say, "Gee, look at Global Warming today, it was 36 degrees this morning in CT on May 29th. Boy, it's getting warm now"

Now the record low was 41 degrees in my town in 1997. Today it was 36. Something is going on.

TMCNo1
05-29-2008, 03:57 PM
doh, :popcorn:

I take Global Warming to effect weather patterns and change the climate. Most people say, "Gee, look at Global Warming today, it was 36 degrees this morning in CT on May 29th. Boy, it's getting warm now"

Now the record low was 41 degrees in my town in 1997. Today it was 36. Something is going on.

Reverse Psychology, so you know enough to know that enough is not enough to know you know enough!

JimN
05-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I didn't refer to any think tank sites, I was referring to his lack of scientific qualifications. Not to necessarily defend the Weather Channel founder but the common thread between science and weather is statistics-based predictions, which is about all they really do. They learn more about the weather cycles all the time but I don't think anyone can really say they know everything about it, by any stretch. Anyone can watch a radar but if a storm front moves in a particular direction long enough and a short time period stands between the reported event and the prediction, it's not hard to be correct. Why do you think they always say there's a XXX% chance of rain or snow? Because it's based on the probability that, with the existing conditions, it has that much chance of doing whatever is possible. The physical actions of weather and study of its systems is science but predicting it is all statistics.

However, when humans have been documenting weather for as short a time as we have (even tens of thousands of years is a short time when compared to the Earth's cycles), we don't have a large enough sample base to know if this just cyclical or actually caused by humans. Is it affected by humans? I have no doubt about that, especially when you think about how much land is covered by asphalt (which does a great job of raising local temperatures), the millions of acres of trees that used to be in the rain forests (which USED to be the planet's air conditioner), heat released by combustion and yes, whatever greenhouse gases we release. However, with all of the cattle spewing methane and volcanic events, there's a lot that we can't be held accountable for. There's no way that removing as many trees as have been isn't more to blame than the amount of CO2, methane and other gases but we'll never know, since we can't repeat the process with those trees in place. Trees scrub carbon from CO2. With less trees, there's no way we won't have too much CO2.

Chas
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Think it would recharge any on-board batteries while sitting still? I suppose a bimini is out as well.....

JimN
05-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I would think it'll charge but the panels will determine how much/fast. I think it's a pretty cool boat but I tried to go to their site and it didn't find it. I wonder how much a paddle wheel could help for charging.

Chas
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I would think it'll charge but the panels will determine how much/fast. I think it's a pretty cool boat but I tried to go to their site and it didn't find it.

They had an article about this on FoxNews.com and it listed their web address. Might have melted the server down. I'm not in line to buy one at 1.1 million, but it is an interesting design.

I wonder about boosting the HP and adding batteries for the hole-shot and trying to create something which would pull a skier/boarder. Since our boats often have in excess of 300 HP I don't see it happening...

M-Funf
05-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Some nice pics on their website showing the retractable hardtop bimini with solar panels on the top...

http://www.czeers.com/czeers.html

TMCNo1
05-29-2008, 06:42 PM
next thing u know w will see one of these woth a tower on it!!!

i saw a pontoon boat online the other day with one. had a guy boarding behind it!!

Was it MC's new CSX-Toon? Saweeeeeeet!

JimN
05-29-2008, 06:47 PM
"I wonder about boosting the HP and adding batteries for the hole-shot and trying to create something which would pull a skier/boarder. Since our boats often have in excess of 300 HP I don't see it happening..."

But electric motors are already really torquey. Hole shot shouldn't be a problem but it would cut into the reserve of the batteries.

trickskier
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
I wonder if a LONG extension cord would work??? 8p

TMCNo1
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
"He has stated many times that more intense storms are a result of "global warming" a term now that has been modified due to some unexpected data."

I think he would have a bit more credibility if he was a meteorologist (a real one, not just a schmuck on local TV) or involved in the Earth sciences (geologist, hydrologist, etc).

From Wiki- "Thus, after returning from Vietnam (receiving a non-essential personnel honorable discharge two months early) Gore turned to journalism and divinity school at Vanderbilt University.[10][21] He attended the program from 19711972 and his goal was to explore "the spiritual issues that were most important to me at the time."[22] He also worked part time as a reporter for The Tennessean , a newspaper in Nashville, Tennessee on the night shift.[22] He would eventually spend five years as a reporter for The Tennessean. His investigations of possible corruption among members of Nashville's Metro Council resulted in the arrest and prosecution of two councilmen for separate offenses.[23] After completing the one year Rockefeller Foundation scholarship, he left the Divinity school to focus on journalism full time.[24] A few years later, he studied law at Vanderbilt. He attended law school from 197476 but "took away no degrees, deciding abruptly in 1976 to run for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives."

I'll give him credit for making noise about the environment and seeing the potential in the internet and that's about all, but it's not as if the environment was being ignored and nobody else saw the internet as a valuable tool. The first Earth Day was in 1970 and ARPA started using IP based networking in '59.

I don't like, or have any respect, for anyone who gloms onto something and tries to make people think it's his own. Become well known for using or improving it, but he shouldn't try to make people think it was his baby.

I bet in Divinity School in the research lab, he also discovered Moses was actually stoned and the reason for the rise in water level was not melting ice from global warming, but because Moses parted the sea and the water had to go somewhere. He's just kept it a secret!

Jorski
05-30-2008, 10:10 AM
The interesting thing about this electric boat, is that it is not that far off from what we require considering that there has been almost no reasearch in the area.

Perhaps, it does show the possibility of a hybrid, using gas for hole shot and getting up to speed, then having the neccessary electric power to hold speed and for cruising.

JimN
05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
"Perhaps, it does show the possibility of a hybrid, using gas for hole shot and getting up to speed, then having the necessary electric power to hold speed and for cruising."

That's exactly the opposite of how a hybrid operates. A gas motor dumps a lot of fuel whenever it accelerates and that's the most inefficient part of its job. Check the torque specs for an electric motor- you'll see why they use that for going from a dead stop. It's also not a 12V battery that drives the electric motor on a hybrid- it's usually at least 42VDC, which is convenient, since they can use three cells in series and continue using 12V accessories, connected to one cell.

Chas
05-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes, now we're talking. And even if a hybrid power train isn't in the cards, the boat is 30' long so a generator for emergency recharge/navigation wouldn't be that tough.

At a cool million dollars, I wonder how long the photovoltaic panels last? Suppose cracking might be an issue if the boat is run through rough conditions? The panels are embedded in the top decking, wonder if they damage easily?

JimN
05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
After reading about P-V systems, many of them have a usable life in decades. As long as there's no impact and vibration can be minimized, they should last a while. The kicker is that there probably aren't any government rebates. Maybe as a second home, as long as it has a way to meet the requirements.

Chas
05-30-2008, 11:28 AM
That's exactly the opposite of how a hybrid operates. A gas motor dumps a lot of fuel whenever it accelerates and that's the most inefficient part of its job. Check the torque specs for an electric motor- you'll see why they use that for going from a dead stop.

Hadn't thought of that - but it does make sense for many reasons. Any engine will make the best economy if run at constant load and constant speed. "Steady state" at it's peak efficiency - as in running a generator to keep a bank of batteries up to full charge.

Now, are we going to need an adjustable pitch prop to keep the electric motor loaded properly as boat speed increases? I know they have max torque at zero RPM, and they can have amazing PRM ranges - I wonder if it would make sense to swing a larger diameter prop and change pitch for the upper speed ranges.

Just typing as I think...

Carbon Dreams
05-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Controllable pitch props are not that hard. They have been around for decades in aircraft. It is simply a matter of making a cost effective solution with a means of absorbing damage. Basic principle, you need a governor to control desired RPM and the ability to transmit that change to the blades. Aircraft generally use oil pressure, but there are electrically controlled solutions as well. Would be a very interesting project.

JimN
05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
If we could only use the prop shaft's rotation to fully recharge the batteries, we'd have perpetual motion.

Carbon Dreams
05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Rotating shafts, dilithium crystals, flux capacitors, mmmmmm I can't wait.

Chas
05-30-2008, 01:44 PM
If we could only use the prop shaft's rotation to fully recharge the batteries, we'd have perpetual motion.

Obviously not, assume you are joking of course, but how about some not-so-far-out ideas -

The web site for this boat doesn't give away enough detail. No mention of the battery. I can't imagine taking a chance on wrecking a boat that costly while navigating under a bridge, so I would sure insist on some form of backup power if I was nuts enough to order one.But what if they want to be some sort of purist? Who knows. There are sure plenty of 'electric boat' and 'solar boat' sites which pop up on Google - I had no idea so many people were chasing this.

Wave motion powered generator. Might help recharge batteries at anchor, perhaps even while under way. If designed well, it could also dampen wave action giving a smoother ride.

I was going to suggest regenerative "braking" but the tiny percentage of the time a boat decelerates wouldn't really be worth the effort of trying to recapture that power.

A wind turbine - would have to be fully retractable so as not to cancel any gains by adding serious wind resistance - but could be used while the boat is at rest. For example, while waiting for the wind to mellow out for those last few sets of the day?

Let's see - be sure to park it in a well-lit marina so as to keep the battery topped up. Moving mirrors on the roof of the garage to keep the sun on the panels all day?