PDA

View Full Version : Pre Prom D.U.I. Assembly

Ski-A-Rees
04-12-2005, 10:42 AM
With prom being this saturday night, are student government put togather A D.U.I. Assembly during first and second period today! The was the saddiest fake accident and death I have ever seen. They started with two cars driving around the football field listening to loud music and yelling and throwing what looked like beer bottle's. They crashed at the 50 yard line and boom! The car's exploded with these fake smoke canister's and four of the eight kids came out bloody. The rest were asumed dead. Three fire trucks, two ambulance's , six cops cars, fire supervisor, a motorcycle cop, and a helicopter came in the matter of five minutes hauling @$$ in to the field. Two left in the ambluance, one in the helicopter, two were arested. They tore apart the car's with the jaws of life. Then severl hearse's came in and set up a funeral. We were all asked to come out of the stands to take part in what looked like a funeral. They put the ( so called dead bodies ) in casket's and set them up in the front. In one of the herse's was the local Young Life leader who is also a teacher at our school. He gave a great speech about how you don't have to get drunk or under the influence of drugs to have fun or even party. He pointed over to the front of the school where two memorials are from 92 when the last time someone died in the result of D.U.I. after prom at are school. That was a tear jerker! Just thought I would share!

Leroy
04-12-2005, 10:49 AM
That's great Ski A Rees. Wish they would do something like that at our HS. Our HS is 4,000 students so there is always something going on and the Prom is a big event.

H20skeefreek
04-12-2005, 10:53 AM
I guess I'm unclear about your opinion. You think drunk driving is a joke? The two memorials aren't enough to make you take drunk driving seriously? Granted there were some big theatrics, but what did you want them to do? Drunk driving is a serious problem in America, especially down south. I notice that people in the south think that drunk driving is fun. I just don't get it. From your post I assume you are a High School student? if so, you need to grow up and realize this is a serious matter, If you are a teacher, I feel sorry for your students.

And if I misunderstood and you think it was good, ROCK ON!!

Ski-A-Rees
04-12-2005, 11:01 AM
NO!! I thought it was sad! It was very realistic involving real people! They even had it in the news paper and involved the public! I've been to a few and this was the best i have ever seen! I'm not sure what I said that would make you think i thought it was a jokeing matter!?

MasterMason
04-12-2005, 12:14 PM
They did that at the local high school here as well. Only problem that happened was the guy that was supposed to be the grim reaper got sick and one of the cops took his place. Then because some smart alec kid thought he was gonna get his buddy he threw a tennis ball at the back of the grim reapers head. The cop in the costume was not ammused and arrested the kid on the spot.

USC8791
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Not to be overly critical or change the subject, but they should have cancelled the DUI assembly and sent you back to English/Grammar class. I know I'm no English/Spelling/Grammar superstar, but seriously. If you're a student; get a tutor. If you're a teacher; well I don't even want to think about that.

It wasn't the only mistake, but please learn the difference between "are" and "our."

An apostophe S ('s) indicates possesion, not plural.

Assume is not spelled with one S. Presume would have been a better choice anyway (IMO).

There is no "i" in saddest. Maybe there was a girl named Sadie in the car?

Dead bodies are transported in a hearse, not a herse (please also see the possesive v. plural line again).

I apologize (sincerely) for taking away from the true message of this thread. Driving under the influence is no joke. It has reached epidemic levels and needs to stop; however, education in some respects has hit rock bottom as well.

Don't drink and drive. Don't sleep in class.

ktn_cmu
04-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Ski,

I am glad you were able to benefit from the assembly. Thanks for sharing! I hope you not only got the point of the assembly but will heed the messages it was intended to bring to light.

Others, if he is a HS student, worry less about how he said it and more about what he was saying...there is a time and a place for everything...

USC8791
04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Others, if he is a HS student, worry less about how he said it and more about what he was saying...there is a time and a place for everything...

I agree the most important apect of the post was the true message. When I was in HS, I had a friend die in a DUI accident. Another friend (the driver) went to prison because of the same accident. They made an example of him. Imagine going to prison at age 18 (or any age for that matter).

Heed the DUI warnings Ski-A-Rees.

However; just as it is our role as adults to warn "young people" about the dangers of life, it is also our responsibility to teach in all aspects.

We need more kids like Ski-A-Rees in college. I'd hate for him to miss out due to grammar/spelling errors on his college application. :)

tex
04-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Not to be overly critical or change the subject, but they should have cancelled the DUI assembly and sent you back to English/Grammar class. I know I'm no English/Spelling/Grammar superstar, but seriously. If you're a student; get a tutor. If you're a teacher; well I don't even want to think about that.

It wasn't the only mistake, but please learn the difference between "are" and "our."

An apostophe S ('s) indicates possesion, not plural.

Assume is not spelled with one S. Presume would have been a better choice anyway (IMO).

There is no "i" in saddest. Maybe there was a girl named Sadie in the car?

Dead bodies are transported in a hearse, not a herse (please also see the possesive v. plural line again).

I apologize (sincerely) for taking away from the true message of this thread. Driving under the influence is no joke. It has reached epidemic levels and needs to stop; however, education in some respects has hit rock bottom as well.

Don't drink and drive. Don't sleep in class.

USC-Relax, go to the lake. This is a thread, not a term paper.

USC8791
04-12-2005, 01:32 PM
USC-Relax, go to the lake. This is a thread, not a term paper.

You're right. Thanks for the reality check. Maybe my reaction was because it's a nasty, gloomy day (clouds and impending rain) and I can't go to the lake. :(

Don't drink and drive! Eat and ski! :woohoo:

tex
04-12-2005, 01:34 PM
You're right. Thanks for the reality check. Maybe my reaction was because it's a nasty, gloomy day (clouds and impending rain) and I can't go to the lake. :(

Don't drink and drive! Eat and ski! :woohoo:
no worries-You could be in my shoes-it's beautiful outside and I am stuck looking out the window!

Farmer Ted
04-12-2005, 02:04 PM
NO!! I thought it was sad! It was very realistic involving real people! They even had it in the news paper and involved the public! I've been to a few and this was the best i have ever seen! I'm not sure what I said that would make you think i thought it was a jokeing matter!?

Perhaps you should spend your time during the school day becoming a gooder speller and not surfing the MC webpage.

Ski-A-Rees
04-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I've been offered a 50% ride to UF and a 75% ride to FSU. Not even the fact that my parents pre-paid my college. I'm kind of amazed that some people would make such a big deal over the spelling of this thread and not the fact that this could have changed the lives of people there today...

jsonova99
04-12-2005, 03:12 PM
I've been offered a 50% ride to UF and a 75% ride to FSU. Not even the fact that my parents pre-paid my college. I'm kind of amazed that some people would make such a big deal over the spelling of this thread and not the fact that this could have changed the lives of people there today...

Go to UF, much better school, I'm getting my MBA there now. :twocents:

USC8791
04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
The fact that you have been offered scholarships actually makes it worse! You could probably get a teaching job at Clemson.

Congrats anyway!

sfitzgerald351
04-12-2005, 03:25 PM
I do think some valid points were made here today...

1) DUI is dumb and I'm glad to hear about events such as the one described by Ski-a-rees that are having an impact. I wish more schools would do this. You'd think all the funerals you see from kids drinking and speeding would have an impact, but it's clear we need to do more.

2) Spelling and grammar count for a great deal in this world. I have to say I almost cried seeing the grammar mistakes, more because I intially thought it was a teacher writing the post. I'm willing to forgive quite a lot on an informal forum (I'm sure I have a ton of typos and misspellings in my posts do to just banging out my thoughts) but USC had some valid points that aren't the result of simply being careless. No matter WHAT your occupation in life, communication skills, both written and verbal are very important. When I was hiring IT techs and civil engineers they all had to submit a written writing sample. Why? Because although the primary function of their job didn't involve writing we had to communicate the results of their work to our customers and employees and if someone couldn't write properly the message wasn't as effective.

3) Always listen to criticism, even if it seems hurtful or misintentioned. The message may just give you something you can improve on and open doors in your life. Ski-A-rees, the best thing you can do is to take a good writing class in college. You will likely write a lot the rest of your life, whether it's a huge report for a client, a memo to your boss, or a quick email to a supplier; and the writing skills you learn in the next few years will definitely pay off.

Now all of you folks that have thawed lakes and unwinterized boats should go out and SKI!

jsonova99
04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I do think some valid points were made here today...

1) DUI is dumb and I'm glad to hear about events such as the one described by Ski-a-rees that are having an impact. I wish more schools would do this. You'd think all the funerals you see from kids drinking and speeding would have an impact, but it's clear we need to do more.

2) Spelling and grammar count for a great deal in this world. I have to say I almost cried seeing the grammar mistakes, more because I intially thought it was a teacher writing the post. I'm willing to forgive quite a lot on an informal forum (I'm sure I have a ton of typos and misspellings in my posts do to just banging out my thoughts) but USC had some valid points that aren't the result of simply being careless. No matter WHAT your occupation in life, communication skills, both written and verbal are very important. When I was hiring IT techs and civil engineers they all had to submit a written writing sample. Why? Because although the primary function of their job didn't involve writing we had to communicate the results of their work to our customers and employees and if someone couldn't write properly the message wasn't as effective.

3) Always listen to criticism, even if it seems hurtful or misintentioned. The message may just give you something you can improve on and open doors in your life. Ski-A-rees, the best thing you can do is to take a good writing class in college. You will likely write a lot the rest of your life, whether it's a huge report for a client, a memo to your boss, or a quick email to a supplier; and the writing skills you learn in the next few years will definitely pay off.

Now all of you folks that have thawed lakes and unwinterized boats should go out and SKI!

Well said! :)

aprgriggs
04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
My sister's high school did a similar Drunk driving thing last week. They brought in life flight, and through out the day they would come and get kids out of class because they died. My sister thought that it was good. My mom also watched and thought that is was real effecitive. There prom is coming up too so I hope it will make them think twice.

6balls
04-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Despite the message about D.U.I. - the grammar and spelling are of great concern. We all make mistakes when typing - but that was pretty damn sad. :confused:

H20skeefreek
04-12-2005, 11:27 PM
The reason I misunderstood what ski-a-rees was saying was actually b/c of the poor grammar. I still can barely understand it. No offense dude. I think it was the exclamation point at "that was a real tear jerker!" sounds like you were laughing. Actually there were several exclamation points that were poorly placed. It sounds like you thought it was funny! see what I mean?.

Anyway, it's great you got something out of it!

USC, this weather does suck doesn't it?

chfrogman
04-12-2005, 11:37 PM
One of our local high schools did a program similar to that. But they took kids from the mock accident to jail, the hospital and to the morgue for the day (in a body bag...eeeew). To bad they do not have drinking while boating program. There are way to many people out there mixing boating with beer.

Leroy
04-12-2005, 11:37 PM
I juss fond owt our high school will b conduckting breatherlizer tests on prom nite.

Farmer Ted
04-12-2005, 11:46 PM
I juss fond owt our high school will b conduckting breatherlizer tests on prom nite.

kewl :toast:

erkoehler
04-13-2005, 12:38 AM
I never had anything like this at my high school, and I just graduated 2 years ago.

Bongo
04-13-2005, 02:10 AM

Serious subject. Very, very funny reply. Bongo

ski36short
04-13-2005, 11:57 AM
I just found out the car I wrecked (or rather was piloting when someone didn't see me) is on display at a local high school for the MADD campaign - must have been donated for a write-off. No alcohol involved but it looks pretty serious. I don't know if I'm amused or not!

I have pictures now, would post them but they're too big.

Ric
04-13-2005, 12:20 PM
you can resize them easily in the irfan software suggested on the front page by ttadmin

ski36short
04-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Gotcha. That is a good program. Free never hurts.

For the curious, here's the aftermath.