PDA

View Full Version : Getting gel coat color

randyb
05-28-2008, 04:44 PM
I've been trying to find out what flavor white my boat is and can't seem to get a dealer to call in with my hull ID and tell me what color white they sprayed on (or at least call me back). Do any of you have access to this data by chance? My boat is supposed to have Glacier White but I've tried that patch color from spectrum and it is way too white (they even tested the batch and said it was fine). Spectrum, while very helpful in most every way, does not have any samples to send out and this is getting complicated to do a really simple repair

I have '97 PS 205 that is white with black and teal with a hull ID of MBCUSCF8H697. I'm trying to find out what white it has.

Thanks,
Randy

BrianM
05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
According to the '97 brochure I have MC called the white "Oyster"

randyb
05-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks Brian. Does that brochure show that as the white for the 205 with black and teal?

JimN
05-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Randy- call MC and ask. They had two whites- glacier and oyster.

TMCNo1
05-28-2008, 07:47 PM
The Glacier White was a white, white, while the Oyster was a light beige egg shell white.

BrianM
05-28-2008, 11:40 PM
The Glacier White was a white, white, while the Oyster was a light beige egg shell white.
No1 is right I misread. Glacier is the true white Oyster is the off white.

Remember you are trying to match 10+ year old gel coat color. fading, yellowing, contaminates etc over the years have changed the color of the boat a bit. My gel coat guy who is very good says that white is the hardest color to match because of the effects of aging.