PDA

View Full Version : Tip on Replacing Transmission Seals in '92 Power Slot

alp
05-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm looking for tips on replacing the seals in our '92 PS 190 power slot. I have everything disconnected except the trans' mounts, shaft coupler and bellhousing. Just a few questions.

Thanks, appreciate the help!

1. Should we unbolt the rear mounts from the stringer to avoid alignment problems?

2. Do the front (motor) mount need to be loosened? If so were?

3. How high does the motor need to be lifted - just enought to slide the trans' out?

4. What parts do we need - front and rear seals, gaskets?

5. Any special tools required?

6. Anything special with the coupler - doess the prop need to come off?

7. Anything we should be extra careful about?

8. Best options to lift and support the motor - with no lift available?

JLeuck64
05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=alp;496909]I'm looking for tips on replacing the seals in our '92 PS 190 power slot. I have everything disconnected except the trans' mounts, shaft coupler and bellhousing. Just a few questions.

Thanks, appreciate the help!

1. Should we unbolt the rear mounts from the stringer to avoid alignment problems?
You should still re-align the prop shaft once everything is back in place.

2. Do the front (motor) mount need to be loosened? If so were?
I wouldn't think so, just to remove the trans.

3. How high does the motor need to be lifted - just enought to slide the trans' out?
Yes, just need to lift the rear a little bit. Maybe with a couple of bottle jacks under the exhaust risers???

4. What parts do we need - front and rear seals, gaskets?
Should be able to determine this once the trans is separated

5. Any special tools required?
A bolt stretcher could come in handy (That was bad, I am very sorry I don't know what makes me think of stuff like that.)

6. Anything special with the coupler - doess the prop need to come off?
If you find you do need to remove the prop, it would be a good time to inspect/replace the strut bushings for wear.

7. Anything we should be extra careful about?
Take lots of PICTURES before you start and during. Don't rely on your memory to get things back together.

8. Best options to lift and support the motor - with no lift available?
I would try using some bottle jacks under the exhaust manifolds (see #3 above)

gigem75
05-29-2008, 07:10 PM
I would loosen the front motor mounts that hold the side to side pin in. If you don't it will try and rotate and place unnecessary stress on the front mount and stringer.

A four by four cut to lenght on top of a foot long 2x4 to spread out the weight will support the motor very nicely.

and YES, YES, YES, re aligin the prop shaft!

Might also be a good time to replace the packing in the prop shaft if it's old. I used the gortex no drip from skidim and it is working great.

I would also get a new gland nut for the rear shaft, it should always be replaced.

Clean up the shaft surfaces with some fine crocras cloth lubed with some wd40.

Also take a close look at your damper plate. broken springs slop etc