PDA

View Full Version : Soaked Carpet...

mrprostar
05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
We had a great weekend out with the boat but ran into a few problems. First we need to replace the water pumped because it is screaming away, no big deal. The problem is that the port side carpet next to the engine cover was wet the entire weekend. We assumed it was from the wet traffic going from the stern to the bow so didn't think much of it. After the first run this morning with no wet traffic it was puddling on that side right behind the observer seat. The bilge was dry but it was wet along that edge all the way to bow cushions. What does the hull look like on the sides? Is there room for water to pool to the side of the normal bilge? Also the battery box was full of water again but no waves over the bow this trip. Exterior looks good with the exception of a few very small dings that I don't think could be causing leaks.

Willski
05-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Hmmm. That doesn't sound quite right. I'm not sure what could be going on there, but there is a lot of knowledge on this board. Someone will have good suggestions. Keep us posted.

mrprostar
05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I guess my main question is is there space between the hull and the floor for water to pool?

jkski
05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Look closely at your rubrail as you may have water coming in there. Keep in mind that these boats are a "shoebox" fit in essence, and the rubrail backing is screwed through the top and bottom to keep things from seperating, etc. (oversimplified of course). You may want to run a nice bead of clear marine grade caulk around the underside of your rubrail as it would be very easu for water to come in there, run down the gunnel and onto the floor especially during a turn to that side.
Hope this helps.

flipper
05-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Rub rail was the first thing that came to my mind. Run it around for a little while, and look around the on the inside where the rub rail is for water below that line and not above. Mine did that to me before. The other one that had the inside of my boat wet one time was the shower leaking.

mrprostar
05-28-2008, 01:48 PM
That makes total sense. Thanks.

Willski
05-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Seems like a lot of water would have to come in throught the rubrail to soak carpet. Is your bilge pump outlet connected? Just thinking of another source of water.

mrprostar
05-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Well like flipper said those hard left turns put quite a bit of water on that rub rail. I think my driver turns left everytime to do pick-ups and he LOVES full speed turns. I'll take a closer looke at it tonight.

VOLFAN
06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Did you figure this problem out? I had a similar problem over the holidays. I was geting water in around where my battery is located under the observer seat in my 03' X2. I can't seem to figure out what it might be? I am hoping it is something simple like a leaking line going to my to or from my ballast or the rub rail like stated above. Since I have never notcied it until we started loading down the left side of the boat for surfing and going in a huge left turn. Maybe that explains it.

Anyone had this probelm in a boat similar to mine?

ShamrockIV
06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
trade it in volfan!!! new xstar would look good on u!!!

nice avatar by the way!!!!!

VOLFAN
06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I don't see a new boat in my future... I am lucky to have talked the wife into this one! If I was ever to get a new one it will be ORANGE & WHITE!!!

Yeah the avtar is funny, but I am tired of it already. I got to find something else to use.

ShamrockIV
06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
u just want to be like me!!

it's ok. u can admit it!!! lol

VOLFAN
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
I am jealous I wasn't out on the water that day with you guys getting surf and instead was in Ohio visitin in-laws so I guess you can say you are correct Sham

OhioX14
06-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Well like flipper said those hard left turns put quite a bit of water on that rub rail. I think my driver turns left everytime to do pick-ups and he LOVES full speed turns. I'll take a closer looke at it tonight.

Man, teach him to thottle down while driving straight ahead and then turn after the boat settles into the water and idle back to get you. Those power turns do nothing but ruin the water by creating rollers for you and everyone else on the lake.

Just a suggestion.