PDA

View Full Version : Shift Shaft Seal on drive unit

tim10
05-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Last fall at the end of summer I started getting tranny fluid in the bilge. I've traced it down to fluid leaking out where the shift system enters the drive unit. It's an '88 ProStar with a 351. Seems like the fluid is under a bit of pressure in that case...or at least I hear air hiss out. Is this just a simple o-ring if I pull the shift lever off, or what can I expect to find when I go in there? I'm hoping it's easy.

TMCNo1
05-27-2008, 03:55 PM
What does the color of the transmission fluid look like? If it's milky, it could be because water is entering the transmission thru the transmission cooler and overfilling and pressurizing the transmission and it's taking the path of least resistance out of the transmission housing.

tim10
05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Well, I can't say that it's not milky at all, because once its in the bilge it's kind of all messed up anyway, but, if I remember right it's not extremely milky. Plus, I did have an event last summer towards the end of the year where it was low on fluid and not shifting....so I think it's actually just leaking. I'd think if it were overfilling I'd have it squirting out but probably never have had it run low.

TMCNo1
05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
"I'd think if it were overfilling I'd have it squirting out but probably never have had it run low". [/quote]
You did say in your original post it was leaking out into the bilge, right?

I'm talking about the milky color of the fluid in the transmission!

tim10
05-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Ok, duh, I'm feeling dense now. :) The fluid in the transmission looks good to me....and it seems to drain down as it leaks into the bilge.

TMCNo1
05-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, I can't say that it's not milky at all, because once its in the bilge it's kind of all messed up anyway, but, if I remember right it's not extremely milky. Plus, I did have an event last summer towards the end of the year where it was low on fluid and not shifting....so I think it's actually just leaking. I'd think if it were overfilling I'd have it squirting out but probably never have had it run low.

I am confused, so..............................................I must be stoned.

tim10
05-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Wish I could clear up the confusion.... in short:

The drive unit fluid is leaking down in level.
It's leaking into the bilge.
The fluid in the drive unit does NOT appear milky.
It leaks out the shaft where the shift lever attaches to the drive unit.
Due to it leaking, it started to run low last year, and didn't shift well. I added fluid and it started working...but it still leaks out that shaft seal.

Wondering....is there a seal there that is easy to replace, or does it require pulling the drive unit and tearing it all down?

I've seen milky oil in engines before, and it doesn't look like milky ATF. If indeed there is water getting there from the cooler, is that a major pain to fix? Considering though, that the fluid level doesn't increase due to water getting in the drive unit, I'm guessing I just have a simple...leak. But would like to know about that seal.

TMCNo1
05-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Wish I could clear up the confusion.... in short:

The drive unit fluid is leaking down in level.
It's leaking into the bilge.
The fluid in the drive unit does NOT appear milky.
It leaks out the shaft where the shift lever attaches to the drive unit.
Due to it leaking, it started to run low last year, and didn't shift well. I added fluid and it started working...but it still leaks out that shaft seal.

Wondering....is there a seal there that is easy to replace, or does it require pulling the drive unit and tearing it all down?

I've seen milky oil in engines before, and it doesn't look like milky ATF. If indeed there is water getting there from the cooler, is that a major pain to fix? Considering though, that the fluid level doesn't increase due to water getting in the drive unit, I'm guessing I just have a simple...leak. But would like to know about that seal.

OK, call Skidim, http://www.skidim.com/, 1-803-345-0996 and talk to them about the transmission shifter entry point to see if a new seal (if there is one) may be in order, it's hard to tell by the exploded drawing in their catalogue. They know their stuff!

tim10
06-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks a million for the recommendation. I called them and they did a remarkable job. Got me a couple of fuel filters, an impeller, and the gasket and O-Ring needed to fix my original problem. Just topped her off with fluid, cleaned the bilge, and am heading out to give it a first run of the season today!

Thanks for your recommendation on calling them. They're fantastic and I'll surely be calling them again.

TMCNo1
06-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks a million for the recommendation. I called them and they did a remarkable job. Got me a couple of fuel filters, an impeller, and the gasket and O-Ring needed to fix my original problem. Just topped her off with fluid, cleaned the bilge, and am heading out to give it a first run of the season today!

Thanks for your recommendation on calling them. They're fantastic and I'll surely be calling them again.

Great to hear, they are good people and are in the business to sell parts and service to anyone and aren't in to play any politics.