PDA

View Full Version : Bent Strut

AHudgins
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Anyone ever repaired a bent prop strut? I purchased a used 95 Maristar 200 two summers ago, and I have been fixing problem after problem that someone else had let go. I decided to put the motor up on blocks to fix a V-Drive leak, replace the prop shaft packing, clean the V-drive oil out of the bildge, and replace the strut bushings. The strut bushings were a mess because the prop shaft was at a bad angle. Once everything was removed, I could see that the prop shaft doesn't even line up with the hole in hull because the strut is bent!!!!! I took the strut to a machine shop and they couldn't bend it back with a hydralic press, he said it just popped back into place (bent). The next step is to put some heat on it, or replace it. I just spent $80 on bushing and I am waiting for MC to call me back with a price of a new strut.

6ballsisall
04-11-2005, 09:49 PM
If it's truly bent I would definetely not recommend trying to bend it back. THe only way that might be possible is with a lot of heat. Heat= distressed metal. I think if I was in your shoes I'd pay the piper and get a new strut assembly. :twocents:

AHudgins
04-11-2005, 10:45 PM
I have been checking some other boat message boards, seems a new strut is around $150, won't put too much of a dent in the wallet. I am going to see if my dealer can get me a strut without the bushings since I just spent the $80 on the new ones. Funny how a 2 hour job can turn into a weekend adventure.
Thanks for the input.

6ballsisall
04-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Tell me about it!! Read my profile, its very fitting! :D

Ben
04-12-2005, 07:54 AM
We had a bent strut after an encounter with a stump a few years ago. Got a new one put in, but the repair shop had the old one "fixed" for a spare. Currently sits in the "boat parts" box on the shelf.

I'm not sure what they did to repair it, but it looks good as new to the eye. This was by no means the 1st type of repair for the shop & the owner (pretty experienced) has no issues with repairing it. Not sure what the price was, but I could find out a bit more if you're interested. I think he wrapped it up in the claim....

A little visual is included for fun.

AHudgins
04-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Mine is bent just enough that you can barely notice it unless you really stare at it. It was very obvious when I put the shaft back in and it was about 1/2 inch off going through the hull. I drove all the way from Virginia to Michigan to trade in my 87 Prostar (which was in 100% tip top shape) for the 95 Maristar. The dealer told me that the original owner "had it regularly serviced". It seemed to handle OK, but it was windy, choppy, and cold so I couldn't tell much else about the boat.

On the drive back to VA I found out that the brakes on the trailer didn't work, real fun coming through the mountains of W.V. The first time I tried to barefoot behind it, I found out it porpoised real bad. I am going to have the hull "hooked" to fix that problem. Now I have the engine up on blocks to get everything replaced under the motor. My wife says I am just "being picky", but then she doesn't think it should be a problem if she goes 38MPH when I tell her 40MPH barefooting. Women, can't live with, can't drive the boat either.

tex
04-13-2005, 09:49 AM
I have replaced 2 struts. One on my 1980 ski supreme(so old it cracked), and my 197(wife). Both were no problem to do for an average wrench dude.