PDA

View Full Version : crack in teak board

brucemac
05-27-2008, 01:29 PM
so i was giving my teak some love this weekend and noticed i've got a crack on one of the ends that's about 4-5~ long right in the center of the board. it's not opened up or anything (yet), but was just wondering if i should worry about this or just live with it until it opens up. i'm guessing there's not much i can do about it other than maybe trying to replace it right?

Teak king
05-27-2008, 01:39 PM
If you can get a clamp on it I suggest you insert a flat head screw driver in the end of the crack to open it slightly and assuming the crack is clean and dry get some polyurethane glue into the entire crack by using compressed air or a thin spark plug gauge tool then clamp till dry. One caveat though the poly glue does expand out of the crack so clean it repeatedly as it cures to avoid a big mess at the end.

Gonzo
05-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Teak King? only one Post? I think Harold moved to Canada, running from Obama early.

TMCNo1
05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
1-615-444-7269 Teak World, Lebenon, TN

TMCNo1
05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Teak King? only one Post? I think Harold moved to Canada, running from Obama early.

Thank God, someone to take my place, we can finally retire and move to Land-O-Lakes, Florida, where our votes don't count!~:cool::rolleyes::D

east tx skier
05-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Probably a good idea to get some mineral spirits on that teak before you glue. Very oily stuff.

JimN
05-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Acetone is preferred, IIRC. Mineral spirits may work but I haven't seen it used.

east tx skier
05-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Acetone is preferred, IIRC. Mineral spirits may work but I haven't seen it used.

I used mineral spirits before filling my bracket holes with teak plugs and epoxy before redrilling and resetting the bracket screws. Worked good for me.

JimN
05-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Not arguing, just sayin'.

east tx skier
05-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Not arguing, just sayin'.

Me neither. Just relating one guy's way he did it. Since my job was with screw holes, it was easy to dry out. Just filled them up, left it for a few hours, then got out the excess with q-tips. Filled with epoxy, banged in the plugs, sanded, stained, beer.

JimN
05-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Looks like you might have missed a few steps.

Beer.
Think about how to fix it.
Beer.
Get some of the stuff together.
Beer.
Realize you forgot to get something and as you pass the fridge, grab a beer.
Drill holes, only to find that the battery is dead.
Beer.
Beer. (batteries don't recharge instantly, ya know!)
Drill holes, spread crack in wood and fill with glue, install screws. Swab with solvent, glue and tap plugs in. Hit finger, yell, throw hammer and knock beer over. Decide that you have had enough, grab two beers- one to drink and one to cool your finger. Sit in lawn chair in driveway. Slam first beer, decide the finger doesn't hurt that much and open second one. Pass out in chair, wake up from wife nudging your arm saying you look like a cooked lobster.

Did I miss anything?

Monte
05-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Beer.
Beer.
Beer.
Beer.
Drill holes, spread crack in wood and fill with glue, install screws. Swab with solvent, glue and tap plugs in. Hit finger, yell, throw hammer and knock beer over. Decide that you have had enough, grab two beers- one to drink and one to cool your finger. Sit in lawn chair in driveway. Slam first beer, decide the finger doesn't hurt that much and open second one. Pass out in chair, wake up from wife nudging your arm saying you look like a cooked lobster.

Did I miss anything?

That is how my projects usually work out:rolleyes:

Funny stuff Jim :D

Jim@BAWS
05-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Thank God, someone to take my place, we can finally retire and move to Land-O-Lakes, Florida, where our votes don't count!~:cool::rolleyes::D

If you voted DEMOCRAT...sounds like you did. Your vote DOES NOT COUNT. If you vote GOP it does.

Land O Lakes has NO VACANCY...unless you want to live w/ Crotty.

Thanks for thinking of us though.

TMCNo1
05-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Never assume anything!

Monte
05-28-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1699&cat=11...;):D:rolleyes:

east tx skier
05-28-2008, 10:50 AM

Beer.
Beer.
Beer.
Beer.

Did I miss anything?

Do you have cameras in my garage or something? ;)

JimN
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I hear t'ings, ya know what I mean? I got people all over da place and dey tell me d'ese t'ings.