PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard basics

toddrandallsteele
05-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Just installed a tower this winter on my Prostar 197 and have a 9 year old boy who is learning wakeboarding from a dad who didn't grow up with it (can teach slalom and barefooting though!) I have a basic question. How fast should I pull him and how long should the line be? Thanks for any and all pointers.

tex
05-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Very short rope...as much upward pull as possible!

endl
05-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Mine is 9 and boards at 22. He has been doing it for about 1 year. I start all his friends about 12-14......each time you can get them a little faster. When they are just learning to cross the wake move back and forth ect. about 15-16 mph and on up depening on how their skill level progresses. Most of these kids are 70-120 pounds.

I agree with tex shorter rope to start maybe 45-50 feet far enough back to get them between the V out of the bad wash then longer as their skill gets better.

sand2snow22
05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Agree with the above comments. Start out slow, then speed up as he progresses. Biggest problem I see with learning to wakeboard, ski, etc. is the driver accelerates too fast. Once the kid is up and going TOO FAST they take a nasty fall and don't want to do it anymore. A nine year old should be able to pop up on a wakeboard barely over idle!

mitch
05-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Agree with the above comments. Start out slow, then speed up as he progresses. Biggest problem I see with learning to wakeboard, ski, etc. is the driver accelerates too fast. Once the kid is up and going TOO FAST they take a nasty fall and don't want to do it anymore. A nine year old should be able to pop up on a wakeboard barely over idle!

BINGO....................

dapicatti
05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Buy "The Book" DVD- you probably only need the first one- there are several in the series. We always make newbies watch it before they try to get up. It's very educational and helps them with their form right out of the gate. The other thing we do is sit them on the swimstep and make them pull the board up out of the water, just to get used to the feeling of how heavy the board really will be. We also pull the kids on the grass and make them stand up on their boards before we put them in the water.

endl
05-29-2008, 01:03 AM
yes very good point. that is good training. they can prop/wedge their board against the platform while you pull them up and its perfect for showing them what it should feel like coming up. great point.

toddrandallsteele
06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice. He is up and doing great. I have been using 55 foot line at 20 mph and it seems about right.

I will get The Book DVD unless others think I should get something better so he can learn all the tricks.

dapicatti
06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
The book is actually a multi DVD set which will teach your son any and all tricks he thinks he needs to learn, and the best progression to learn them in. If he is serious and wants to do inverts etc, get the entire set. There may be others out there, but this one is by far the most complete instructional video out there.