PDA

View Full Version : Hitch mount bike racks

Ben
05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Any advice? We got 2 little 'uns, so I'm thinking 4 place rack. Definitely want one that swings down to get the hatch open. Been checking out craigslist, but also planning to swing by a bike shop to see pros/cons by brand. Anyway, I know nothing (used to put bikes in the back of the pickup I used to own), so if anyone has tips it would be great. Brand, attachment style, locking methods, etc.

Usage will probably not be that often. Maybe 1-2 long (>250 mile) trips a year, and maybe more short trips. Our bikes are nothing fancy, no worries there, although I will want to lock it.

BrianM
05-26-2008, 11:31 PM
I have an Allen 430RR rack for my wifes car.http://allenracks.com/subpages/productsNew/bikes.php Have been very happy with it in the three years I have had it. It is built pretty solid and carries the bikes well. The Allen's are a great value for the money. Far less expensive than most of the others out there but still designed well. If I was using the rack all the time or had high $$ bikes I would probably use something else but for my use and what sounds to be yours as well I have been very happy with it.

Ben
05-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks, anyone else?

park190
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
My wife and I have used the Thule Space Station for several years, and love it. It has taken a lot of off-road abuse, and has held up extremely well. It is very durable, and worth the money. Best of luck.

ncsone
05-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I have the Saris hitch mount rack. I love it. You can even tighten it up in the receiver so that the rack does not rattle around. But, it is a fair amount of $ and some might not be willing to spend that much for a bike rack.

agua4fun
05-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I have a 4 place thule rack that i'd like to sell. Allthough it is designed for a 1-1/4" hitch, maybe you could use a 1/4" - 2" adaptor????? It also has a (snow)ski rack kit.

PM me if you're interested
Dave

bobbyB
05-27-2008, 09:41 PM
We picked up a Thule 4 place bike rack off of Craigslist a few months ago. Functional and lives up to our expectations. Payed around a $100.

You can get an insert pc so you can use a 1 1/4" in a 2". Check at most anyplace that carries roof/bike racks.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-27-2008, 09:57 PM
We have a Yakima hitch mount (4) bike rack. It also tightens so it doesn't rattle. I had a cable lock for the bikes added and a hitch lock. I think it was under $200. No complaints. Only problem is I can't tow the boat and use the bike rack at the same time.

Yakima Bike Rack (http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/product/8002404/bighorn-4-(2).aspx)

I did have a fancy little receiver welded up so I could mount the rack (and store bikes on it) on the garage wall.

fskof
05-30-2008, 01:12 AM
I have the Yakima Fullswing 4. It holds 4 bikes, has a cable and lock to lock the bikes, and can swing to the right so you can open your rear hatch with the bikes still on the rack. I bought mine from REI when they had there 30% off everything sale.

fskof
05-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Here is a pic #2

lanier92prostar
05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
I have the Yakima Fullswing 4. It holds 4 bikes, has a cable and lock to lock the bikes, and can swing to the right so you can open your rear hatch with the bikes still on the rack. I bought mine from REI when they had there 30% off everything sale.

I have the same bike rack mounted to my camper. Like it so far and and have used it for two year and have traveled across country with no problems.

Ben
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM
We have a Yakima hitch mount (4) bike rack. It also tightens so it doesn't rattle. I had a cable lock for the bikes added and a hitch lock. I think it was under $200. No complaints. Only problem is I can't tow the boat and use the bike rack at the same time.

Yakima Bike Rack (http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/product/8002404/bighorn-4-(2).aspx)

I did have a fancy little receiver welded up so I could mount the rack (and store bikes on it) on the garage wall.

All - thanks for the tips. Wanted 2" mounting only.

P-hat - I hadn't looked at this for a bit, but got the same one you have last night. Out the door for $184, made them throw in the hitch lock too. I was a bit unsure of the arms not folding down, but don't think it is that big of a deal, we have garage space... Nice job on the wall mount, I may have to pursue as well.

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-18-2008, 12:06 AM
I was a bit unsure of the arms not folding down, but don't think it is that big of a deal, we have garage space... Nice job on the wall mount, I may have to pursue as well.

Hmmm...the arms fold down on mine so maybe I posted the wrong one, but congrats anyway! Yep...I'm diggin' the rack mount for the garage. Frees up a ton of space for other junk! :o

jpattigr
06-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Yakima all the way! Good Portland company making great racks!!
www.yakima.com

Ben
06-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Hmmm...the arms fold down on mine so maybe I posted the wrong one, but congrats anyway! Yep...I'm diggin' the rack mount for the garage. Frees up a ton of space for other junk! :o

The bighorn doesn't have the feature of the top arms folding down - at least mine doesn't. I'm sorta 2nd guessing myself for going w/the cheapest one, but not sure it's worth $55 to have the arms fold down... That's 2 ski mornings of gas.

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-18-2008, 09:00 AM
The bighorn doesn't have the feature of the top arms folding down - at least mine doesn't. I'm sorta 2nd guessing myself for going w/the cheapest one, but not sure it's worth $55 to have the arms fold down... That's 2 ski mornings of gas.

I think I may have folded mine down once.