PDA

View Full Version : Pin insert for backing up trailer

BobJ
04-11-2005, 01:18 PM
I just bought a 2003 Maristar 230 on a MC trailer. With my 97 ford van and 4 pin flat connector, the disc breaks engage when backing up. Un plugging the connection is no help. I don't want to rewire the van, factory done and connected in plastic conduit under the van. I see a 5/16" hole through the hitch just in front of the piston attachment. It looks right to manually lock out the piston. Any information on using this wnen backing up? Thanks

tex
04-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I just bought a 2003 Maristar 230 on a MC trailer. With my 97 ford van and 4 pin flat connector, the disc breaks engage when backing up. Un plugging the connection is no help. I don't want to rewire the van, factory done and connected in plastic conduit under the van. I see a 5/16" hole through the hitch just in front of the piston attachment. It looks right to manually lock out the piston. Any information on using this wnen backing up? Thanks
flip the plugs and it will let the brakes go. i can't remember which plug you leave out on the 4 vs 5 but you will feel it let loose.

AirJunky
04-11-2005, 01:29 PM
The 5/16" hole you mention sounds like the hole to lock the thing down on your hitch.

erkoehler
04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
if you do a search on this board and the old board I remember a quite detailed discussion on this last summer.

G-man
04-11-2005, 02:12 PM
The fifth wire is probably blue. When you back you disconnect the plug, turn it sideways then plug it into the first or second wire past the ground and turn on your parking lights. This will send power to release the brakes. The 5/16 hole if it goes side to side is for a lock and they also have a short bar that goes in there. When it is in place you can't lift the lever completely to disengage from the trailer ball.

djhuff
04-11-2005, 02:12 PM
If you flip the plug so that the last (exposed) male end on the 5 pin goes into the first female plug on the truck (next to the male plug on the truck), turn on your lights and the reverse lights on the trailer will light up letting you know the brakes are disengaged.

peason
04-11-2005, 02:36 PM
I took my van to a trailer service dealer and they put a 5 pin connector on for about $40. They also left the 4-pin on too, so now I can choose which one I need. Not too expensive and solved the backing up.

Larryp
04-11-2005, 02:58 PM
I purchased the five pin adapter for my chevy truck after buying my boat at the dealer. Nice guys, just didn't tell I couldn't back the boat up without the adapter, I had no idea what was happening.

NeilM
04-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I see a 5/16" hole through the hitch just in front of the piston attachment. It looks right to manually lock out the piston. Any information on using this wnen backing up? Thanks

Probably.. Any pictures?

Peason - should be no need to leave both flat connectors on. The wiring of the first 4 of the 5 pins should be identical..

WakeSeeky
04-11-2005, 03:32 PM
You can purchase an adapter at Wal-Mart for around $20. Discovered this when we were headed out to the lake and realized we'd probably left the first one sitting on the truck bumper the last time we parked the boat. :o We got the first one from our dealer and it seems like the price was about the same, but I don't remember for sure, we got that one the night we got the boat and we got a lot of stuff that night.

H20skeefreek
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
you could just get an old 80's 'craft and have no brakes. I tell you what, come down to SC and I'll just swap you out.

chfrogman
04-11-2005, 04:23 PM
We had the same problem with both our 97 205 and now our 05 X2. We have a some what steep driveway Finally had a key machined to fit into the (can't remember the name of it) but its the part of the hitch that moves back and forth when the brakes are engaged or not. Anyway, the key fits in the slot when the disk is all the way forward and we can back up the drive way without the brakes engaging on the trailer. I hope this helps.

chfrogman
04-11-2005, 04:36 PM
this picture shows the key

AirJunky
04-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey Chfrogman,
Looks like you have some kind of lock in the hole that locks the trailer on the hitch. True? And the old pin is dangling underneath...... just in case you forget the lock? ;)

chfrogman
04-11-2005, 05:28 PM
:purplaugh No, just dont want it to drive away with out us. Only put the lock on when it is not hooked up. Just a bit paranoid.

AirJunky
04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Gotcha..... I have both the brake stop & the lock pin on a bungee wrapped around the tongue. The only time I lost it was when I loaned the brake stop to someone at the boat ramp. So how I have a spare in the glovebox.

Ric
04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I can't remember the specific wires to choose but you don't need to rewire the van.
When I purchased my first prostar (with brakes) as upposed to my old supra with no brakes, I was surpised when the young salesman told me I'd be getting out of the truck and finagling the plug so that I could back up! I was motivated to resolve that issue quickly.
You can get plug setups from any trailer shop that will allow you to wire up the reverse lite to your boat trailer plug and forgettaboutit.