PDA

View Full Version : Procedure for changing a propeller

jake
08-09-2004, 03:52 PM
I know someone posted some advice on how to change a propeller on the old board, but I can't seem to get on the old board to search for it? Anyway, probably a good idea to get it documented here anyway.

From what I recall, the old thread suggested using valve grinding paste to make sure the new prop seats completely and is well balanced. Any other suggestions?

captkidd
08-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Opinions seem to vary pretty widely on here, but this is what I do:

- remove cotter pin and lock nut (in order to do this you're going to have to prevent the prop from turning; I usually use a piece of 2x2 or 2x4 long enough to wedge between the prop blades and the trailer or strut)

- I use a prop puller to remove the prop; I just tighten it until the prop literally pops off (be careful because when the thing finally pops it has a tendency to fall on the floor, so put something there to cushion it's fall).

- I examine the key to make sure it isn't damaged and then reuse it if not.

- I have never used valve grinding paste, so I can't help you there. I have used a little marine grease on the shaft to help with future removal.

jake
08-09-2004, 04:15 PM
I ordered the "harmonic puller" from Acme, anyone have experience using it? From what I gather, it's a hunk of brass you screw on to the shaft then hit it with a hammer producing vibrations that make the prop come free?

G-man
08-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Opinions seem to vary pretty widely on here, but this is what I do:

- remove cotter pin and lock nut (in order to do this you're going to have to prevent the prop from turning; I usually use a piece of 2x2 or 2x4 long enough to wedge between the prop blades and the trailer or strut)

- I use a prop puller to remove the prop; I just tighten it until the prop literally pops off (be careful because when the thing finally pops it has a tendency to fall on the floor, so put something there to cushion it's fall).

- I examine the key to make sure it isn't damaged and then reuse it if not.

- I have never used valve grinding paste, so I can't help you there. I have used a little marine grease on the shaft to help with future removal.

Capt. Kidd
Just a suggestion but if loosen the prop nut a few complete turns when the prop pops it says on the shaft and not the floor.

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I installed my first prop when I dropped off my father-in-law's now gouge-free prostar. I got it back from the mechanic with the prop off so the glass work could be done. Upon advice of local inboard mechanic, I, with something very soft under it just in case, put the key on the shaft, put the prop on, tightened the nut to 1/4 turn past snug, and installed the pin.

Haven't had experience with the harmonic puller yet, but I remember that Tim has one.

sledhead800
08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
I Had Never Touched A Prop In My Life Until Last Week. The Dealer Sent Me With A Harmonic Puller. Dont Use A Dead Blow Mallet, Use A Regular Hammer And Just Give It Three Maybe Four Light Hits And It Should Come Right Off. It Was Very Slick How The Thing Works. Make Sure To Leave At Least 1/4 Inch Gap Between The Prop And Puller So It Has Room To Vibrate Off.......move As Necessary. Hope This Helps

jake
08-09-2004, 06:34 PM
So the prop doesn't need any special treatment to seat correctly? Just pull the old one, and basically reverse the steps to put the new one on?

Thrall
08-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Just a question guys. How Tight should the nut be pushing the prop onto the tapered shaft. Just took off tthe prop for the first time on my boat and I did not need to use a puller. Just took out the cotter pin, nut and pulled the prop off. Put it back on snug (visually the same as when it came off). Is the puller for if its corroded on, or is my prop on way too loose?

MarkP
08-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Thrall

Sorry I知 not sure?? Now, may I hijack the thread. :)

While under my boat this morning I shook the running gear to see if it was tight. I found a loose prop. Cotter pin is in, I have a brass nut but, when I grab my prop it moves a little, just a little but I assume it should not??:o

So. How Tight should the nut be pushing the prop onto the tapered shaft?

JimN
08-17-2004, 09:53 AM
As long as the nut isn't galled, it needs to go on good and tight. In the neighborhood of 50-75 ft-lb. If you can turn the nut by hand while the nylon locking ring is past the end of the threads, you need to replace it. There should be a good amount of resistance, but only form the nylon.

MarkP
08-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks Jim. That痴 what I thought but wanted to bounce it off the board first. Nut feels good, threads look good on the shaft. I値l pull the pin, block the prop and tighten it. Thanks again..

Thrall
08-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Prop must have been loose, because after reinstalling it and running the boat, I loosened the nut and the prop is stuck there, needs a puller.

BobL
08-25-2004, 05:41 PM
What is the difference between a regular puller and a Harmonic Puller? Does anyone have a picture of a Harmonic Puller.

east tx skier
08-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Regular puller looks sort of like a c-clamp and literally pulls the prop off. A harmonic puller screws onto the end of the shaft, and when hit with a hammer, vibrates the prop off. I think Tim posted a picture of his harmonic puller at one point. Just looks sort of like a brass cap for the shaft.

BobL
08-25-2004, 05:58 PM
And I just paid my dealer $75 for a regular puller. I bet the Harmonic Puller works just as well and costs less.

east tx skier
08-25-2004, 06:02 PM
I hear they work great. Even though I'm a bit nervous about whacking the shaft with a hammer (sort of), I'll probably get one soon.

Group buy? Anyone interested?

BobL
08-25-2004, 06:11 PM
I hope I don't have to use mine again. Mine was on so tight that when it finally went pop, everything dropped in the water. It is a great idea to leave the nut on, although I am not sure if there is enough clearance with the standard puller. I will have to check that next time.

NeilM
08-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Doug, yep. Group buy.. I'm in.

MarkP
08-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Do you guys have a good source for a group buy??

jake
08-25-2004, 08:41 PM
I used the harmonic puller, it worked great. It's just a big hunk of brass (kind of like a big brass nut). I could post a pic this weekend, I'm out of town on biz now. I hit it twice with a small hammer, and the prop came right off! Also, it only cost $30.

ShawnE
08-25-2004, 09:43 PM
If you smear a bit of anti-sieze compound on the shaft the prop should easily come off. We use it when we change heads on the stained-glass grinder, and that is running in a water bath all time.
You may still need to use the puller but I doubt much force will be needed.

tall_ andy
08-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Jake,
Where did you get the Harmonic puller? Sounds like something worth investing in

Kell
08-26-2004, 12:28 AM
DIM sells a slide hammer, but I don't know if it is the same as the "harmonic" puller you all are refering to.

east tx skier
08-26-2004, 10:24 AM
I think we can get the harmonic puller from Acme or from Schnitz. I'll look into what's required for a group buy.

east tx skier
08-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Just got an email back from Schnitz. He will work with us on a group buy. I asked him to quote me a group size and per unit price, shipping, etc. Never tried to work one of these before, so if anyone has any advice, now'd be the time.

jake
08-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Got it from Acme through Schnitz when I ordered the Acme 3 blade CNC prop. $30, shipped with the prop.

gregg
08-26-2004, 11:26 AM
A little tip I have found for changing props with the prop pullers. Back the nut off several turns, but leave it on the shaft until the prop pops off the taper. No more flying props and pullers!! Side note: personally I would be a little nervous about hitting the prop shaft using the harmonic type puller, or using a slide hammer type puller??

east tx skier
08-26-2004, 12:20 PM
The harmonic puller screws on in place of the nut (so no flying props - a good thing). I've had my reservations about the harmonic pullers and the hammer process. But I've also heard good reviews from satisfied users. I don't think it would be much worse than grinding on the shaft with a traditional prop puller, but I could be wrong.

Really just trying to get people in the group buy frame of mind, so we might get some other group buys started. If we can't get enough people, I'll just order one for myself. The $2 I'll save probably won't be worth the organizing headaches, but there may be better deals out there on other things.

Farmer Ted
08-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Just be sure you get the correct size for your proppeller shaft.

It's a one size fits one size deal (only drawback I can think of)

jake
08-26-2004, 01:00 PM
I was concerned about whacking my prop shaft with a hammer as well, but you hit it straight on, and I barely had to hit mine. I used a very small hammer and hit it one time. I don't know how firmly set my prop was, but I did try to pull it off with my hands before I used the puller, and it wouldn't budge.

j2nh
08-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Borrowed my first "harmonic puller" from and old timer at a small local marina about 12 years ago (which means I'm an old timer now!). His puller consisted of two nuts tack welded together. After removing the prop nut, thread the first nut on the shaft 3/4 of the way on. It needs to be on far enough to protect the threads on the shaft. Next, a couple of taps with a hammer and the prop literally walks off the shaft. Sounds crazy but I have done this numerous times on my boat and friends. Never had it fail. Quick trip to the hardware store and the local welding shop and you have a "Harmonic puller".

MarkP
08-26-2004, 08:04 PM
J2,

Never put it together, even though I知 a BIG do it your self-er. I think I知 going to give it a shot.

east tx skier
08-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Mark P, sort of had you on the list for the group buy with a "?" next to your name. Should I take you off?

Tom Wortham
08-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Jim,
I own an '86. The nut on mine is all metal, no nylon on it. Just a cotter pin and brass nut. Is the nylon nut for the newer boats? Never thought I would be talking about nylon nuts. :D

MarkP
08-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Doug I知 hittin the hardware store today. I think I知 looking for a spring and some nuts:o

east tx skier
08-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Good luck. The spring I got was from Pep Boys, and was in a bag with springs of various sizes and tensions. The guy just pulled it out of the bag and gave it to me. Take your return spring with you and get the same length. You just don't want one that's quite so tight.