PDA

View Full Version : '06 197 leaking trailer oil bath bearing

smoczygemba
05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
I need to know the type of oil, where to purchase, and how to refill the oil bath bearing on the trailer of an 06 MC 197. I have a leak and want to know how difficult this is to change and what I need to purchase. Is there an online place you can get Mastercraft parts?

JerryS
05-26-2008, 04:30 PM
80W90 Synthetic gear oil is what I put in there. Where is it leaking from? Your hubs have hex headed plugs. You can remove the wheel and turn the hub by hand and find the plug. The clear plastic caps on that trailer have never been removed / or disturbed. I changed the oil via the hex headed plug. Maybe that plug just needs to be removed and reinstalled with a never-seize.

Mastercraft uses a 50 weight oil in the hubs from the factory. Based on advice received here I refilled with the 80w90 Synthetic in March. You can get that at any auto parts store.

MC parts are easy to get online - not sure what you need though.

Mastercraft of Charlotte - www.mymastercraft.com
Chicago Mastercraft - www.chicagomastercraft.com Call and ask for Erik
Boat House Marine - www.bhmtrilakes.com Ask for Debbie
Bay Area Watersports - http://www.bayareawatersports.com

MCOC, Chicago MC, and BAWS all frequent and participate on this board.

Jerry

JerryS
05-26-2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18556

Susan, here's a good thread that walks you through a complete bearing replacement. You can reference it to see how that assembly works - specifically - where the plug is. One difference between your hub and the one in that thread is your hubs have the clear plastic cap vs the aluminum one.

If the leak is from the plug - jack up trailer and put some blocks under that axle. Remove the wheel/tire. Turn the hub by hand until you see the hex headed plug on top. Find the correct size allen wrench and remove the plug. Clean the plug with a wire brush. Refill the hub to just above the top of the "reliable" emblem on the plastic cover. Apply a never-sieze to the plug (get that at the auto parts store too) and re-install.