PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing Grease

47Driver
05-26-2008, 02:16 PM
What type of grease do I use? Is there a marine type grease. Thanks for the reply's.

cbryan70
05-26-2008, 03:25 PM
yes there is a marine grease that is more water resistant

TMCNo1
05-26-2008, 03:56 PM
What type of grease do I use? Is there a marine type grease. Thanks for the reply's.
Try this, available most anywhere, even Wal-Mart.

47Driver
05-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Great...Walmart. That's were I spend most of my money and time. I think I have the grease gun that will fit this one too.

TMCNo1
05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Great...Walmart. That's were I spend most of my money and time. I think I have the grease gun that will fit this one too.

It comes in 2 sizes, regular and for the pistol type small gun.

ski_king
05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Thats what I use on everything.

Dumb question....... Is there any reason not to use marine grease on my travel trailer, mower deck, etc, etc, etc?

Farmer Ted
05-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I started using Mystic JT6

Farmer Ted
05-26-2008, 07:42 PM
I started using Mystic JT6

If I could get my hands on some of this stuff, I'd use it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_August_22/ai_n14929021

TMCNo1
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Thats what I use on everything.

Dumb question....... Is there any reason not to use marine grease on my travel trailer, mower deck, etc, etc, etc?

It's the only grease that I have ever used that doesn't break down into a solid in the gun after several months, and drip oil from the gun when hung up. It takes a good solvent and some serious scrubbing to clean up a bearing buddy, bearing, hub and anything that you use it on cause it clings so well. I use it on the JD steering, front hubs, deck, everything, trailer hitch ball, boat steering cable and lube points, vehicle suspensions grease locations, cause water seldoms washes it away.

bigmac
05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Y'know the stuff about oil I keep sayin'? About how it's all pretty much the same brand-to-brand? Pretty much the same with grease. Standards are controlled by the NLGI rather than the API. The big difference is that oil formulations are specified to the API by the auto manufacturers, whereas there is no such standardization for greasing a car, and the tolerances in the formulation process are MUCH wider.

Not to discount Harold's opinion - LubriMatic was one of my family's companies back before they sold it to Witco. I use it too, but mostly out of nostalgia (and the fact that it's the only grease my local TruValue carries).