PDA

View Full Version : Leaking raw water pump

Footin
04-11-2005, 01:09 PM
The other day I noticed my raw water pump was leaking from the back, more than a few drips almost a slow steady stream or a very fast drip.

I think you can buy a new seal. I this a difficult relacement? It is on a 94 PS205 with the Chevy 350 TBI.

Footin
04-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Anyone?????

chico
04-12-2005, 08:29 PM
footin
I have a spare in my tool box,I can't remember where Ibought it.you have to remove the pump and disassemble it.the seal can be pressed out thru the back.mabey skidim can help with the seal.

Dottiesboat
04-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Johnson Raw Water Pump
It's easy. I did this last week. Best if you have access to a press. Becareful not to damage the brass of housing.
1) Remove the impeller.
2) Secure the drive flange,press the shaft off of the drive flange that bolted to the engine.
3) Press the shaft and bearings out of the pump housing from the impeller side.
4)I pushed the seal out with a screwdriver by hand.
Reassemble in reverse order, pay attention to depth of shaft and bearings in pump housing, and depth of flange on the shaft.
My drive flange only mounted one way on the vibration dampner.

When I got it apart I found that the spring inside the seal lip had broken. No big deal, 3 bucks and I'm down the road.

Granite_33
04-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Johnson 812 pump? Yours may be different, but...........

Mine was leaking the same as yours........throwing a spray of water inside the engine cover. I called DIM and the good folks there sent me the new seal.

I was able to remove the impeller and pull the seal out from the front. Small tools required. My spring was OK, the rubber was starting to disintegrate around the shaft.

My memory is fuzzy but I think that DIM even said to do it this way........I may be wrong......

The new one pressed in from the front ( I used some marine grease to help it in). I had no more leaks from that point forward.

Again, yours may be different, but IMO the Johnson seal is accessible from the front like this for easier replacement.

sp00ky
05-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Johnson 812 pump? Yours may be different, but...........

Mine was leaking the same as yours........throwing a spray of water inside the engine cover. I called DIM and the good folks there sent me the new seal.

I was able to remove the impeller and pull the seal out from the front. Small tools required. My spring was OK, the rubber was starting to disintegrate around the shaft.

My memory is fuzzy but I think that DIM even said to do it this way........I may be wrong......

The new one pressed in from the front ( I used some marine grease to help it in). I had no more leaks from that point forward.

Again, yours may be different, but IMO the Johnson seal is accessible from the front like this for easier replacement.

This thread is old so I may not get an answer. But is it easy to get the old gasket out?

mikeg205
05-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Get a new raw water pump.....that's been the consensus on similar threads.

sp00ky
05-20-2013, 11:36 PM

Ok but it only leaks at idle. Temp is great at idle or under power.

Thanks for the input

ricford
05-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Ok but it only leaks at idle. Temp is great at idle or under power.

Thanks for the input

It only leaks at idle right now. It will only get worse. Fix it now and you won't lose a precious weekend.

CantRepeat
05-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Good luck.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20610&highlight=pump

catamount
05-21-2013, 07:57 AM

I disagree. The seal is a $17 part and takes about 30 minutes of your time. Why throw out a perfectly good water pump over a $17 seal?

I pulled mine out with a dental pick and bushed the new one in with a deep socket.

coz
05-21-2013, 08:02 AM

My consensus would be replace the seal, I've done it and it's an inexpensive fix compared to the price of a complete pump.

jwroblew
05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
+1 for fixing the seal, do it before the bearings get ruined.

homer12
05-21-2013, 04:16 PM
I did it this winter. I have yet to run the boat though to confirm any leakage is gone. Looking forward to get the results.

sp00ky
05-21-2013, 09:51 PM
+1 for fixing the seal, do it before the bearings get ruined.

Very good need to do this right away.

Thanks

mikeg205
05-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Whatever you choose - fix it right away... if you can change the seal easily - post pics of the steps to help us all.. :)

Lumbergh
05-21-2013, 10:48 PM
+1.

Everyone says its easy, and I may just buy a $20 seal to try it out.

Lets see some pics of seal removal and replacement with the pump mounted.

My impeller is out right now anyway until I get ready to use the boat. What is another $20 on my money pit?

mikeg205
05-21-2013, 10:52 PM
+1.

My impeller is out right now anyway until I get ready to use the boat. What is another $20 on my money pit?

C'mon Lum... it's a labor of love... my boat is much cheaper than my kids were are... and grand kids will be... lol.... :)

catamount
05-22-2013, 08:41 AM
+1.

I'm not sure how easy it would be with the pump mounted. I took mine off for the task, but only because I was powdercoating the hanger arm.

One thing I should mention for people who might not realize it, there is a rubber bushing that slips over the mounting post. Over time, this bushing breaks down and allows more vibration to move your pump around. This probably contributes to seal failure.

Mine had quite a bit of play, but solved it by just adding a layer of shrink wrap tubing over the post to and some new thickness. This took out all of the play and it feels solid again. You may be able to get a replacement bushing from skidim but it looks like you have to buy the complete arm (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=98-2001). Salvage yours with shrink tubing or a rubber bushing from the hardware store.

http://i.imgur.com/LsJSIob.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Gijtvg7.jpg

sp00ky
06-02-2013, 08:50 PM
+1.

It was easy. I just replaced the seal took abour 20 min. Even with my kids saying arent you done yet?

Lumbergh
06-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Ran the boat on the hose and noted that the raw water pump was leaking, which I seem to recall last season, but put it off figuring I would get to it in the off season.

Fairly easy job, 2x5/8 bolts that hold mount and 3 x 5/16 (8mm is what I used) hex head bolts similar to the bolts on the exhaust risers.

Of course one of the hex head bolts is tucked in behind the I/O portion of the pump so it gets bonus points for making me get a standard hex wrench instead of the hex socket for the other two.

My seal was shot. It was actually in two pieces and the inner portion of the seal is gone as you can see in the picture.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC02558800x600_zps672c5e9b.jpg (http://s470.photobucket.com/user/Lumbergh556/media/DSC02558800x600_zps672c5e9b.jpg.html)

The seal installed:

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC02561800x600_zpsffa74fad.jpg (http://s470.photobucket.com/user/Lumbergh556/media/DSC02561800x600_zpsffa74fad.jpg.html)

My local overpriced boat shop dinged me $28 for a $18 seal (skidim / bakes). Oh well there is a price for convenience I suppose.

One beer job.

As a side note, the above mentioned shop insisted I buy a new pump to fix the leak. I told them get the seal or forget it, I would not be replacing pump unless the seal did not fix the glitch. So maybe I will end up with a pump at some point, but it sure won't be from them.

sand2snow22
06-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Nice, I just did this on a boat. Not too bad. I paid $48 to my wholesaler for a kit, it included impeller, seals, screws, etc.

homer12
06-06-2013, 11:13 PM
I replaced my seal this winter and found I still have a leak after having out the first time today. However, the drip seems to be coming from behind the pulley that the water pump flange mounts too. Might it be coming from the distribution pump above it or do those have leaking issues? I have an '89 351W Indmar

CantRepeat
06-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Pump rebuild.

CruisinGA
06-07-2013, 08:29 AM
When I pulled my raw water pump to change the seal, i found the bearings were going bad.

I replaced the bearings and the seal and have been good to go the last 100 hrs.

Edit: here is my thread: http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46684&highlight=water