PDA

View Full Version : No water moving

Willski
05-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I started up my boat today. Late for me, but with weather and being busy......Okay I really don't have a good excuse!! No water past the raw water pump however. I did use the old impeller as I don't have a new one yet. I took it out and put it back in to check it. It appears fine. I will get a new one, but this one should move some water. I suspect my oil cooler may be plugged.

I am going to pull all of the intake hoses ahead of the pump and take a look. Any other suggestions.

84 MC.

Thanks.

88 PS190
05-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Ya, pull the hose off the inlet side of the RWP and use your house hose to squirt water through backwards. If it comes out unrestricted you can probably save yourself the time with it being plugged.

Sometimes these systems don't self prime very well if there is air lock, so when I summerize I tend to use pressure to get water to the pump before the first start up, ease it in.

Willski
05-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I'll give that a try. I actually bought all new intake hose last year and never put it on. This might be a good time to redo that since I'll have it apart anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Willski
05-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Update. Might have been an air lock. I did replace my intake hose since I had some. Just a word of warning. Sometimes the hose sticks to the connection. I usually have to twist to get it off. I have even used channel locks, vice grips to twist the hose off. DON'T DO THIS on the oil cooler!! It happens to have copper ends. I messed up one the outlet. I was able to repair by tapping an 11/16 socket into it. Made it pretty much round again. Boat is running good. Still doesn't seem to pull water like I think it should. I'll be ordering another impeller just in case.