PDA

View Full Version : Metal Flake Fiberglass Repair

Boobaychap
05-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Smacked the side of my boat and now have a star crack the size of my hand above the waterline, just aft of the driver's seat. (Needless to say I am seriously bummed)

The star is intact, no missing chips so I'm assuming the damage is limited to the gel coat.

The side of my boat is Canadian Blue Metal Flake and I want to have the repair done professionally. Anyone have any idea how difficult the repair might be or what it might cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Regards to all,
Boo Bay

Farmer Ted
05-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Smacked the side of my boat and now have a star crack the size of my hand above the waterline, just aft of the driver's seat. (Needless to say I am seriously bummed)

The star is intact, no missing chips so I'm assuming the damage is limited to the gel coat.

The side of my boat is Canadian Blue Metal Flake and I want to have the repair done professionally. Anyone have any idea how difficult the repair might be or what it might cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Regards to all,
Boo Bay

Went through the same issue a couple of years ago.

You need to be sure your repair guy has done metal flake, ask them how much metal flake have they done and if they have any references.

I had my boat repaired at a MC dealership, "our guy has been working gelcoat over 20 years" three months later I found out he busted his metal flake cherry on my boat.

Had I known that, I'd have gone elsewhere............

On a positive note, they may be able to buff out the crack and re apply the clear and not even have to get into the flake

H20BOY
05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Find a guy who works on bass boats. They are use to working on metal flake gelcoat.

Boobaychap
06-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Good words. Thanks to both of you.

Regards,
Boo Bay

79stars
06-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Donnie with BEnnets Boat Repair in Marysville TN. If interested shoot me a PM and Ill get you hooked up. Its drive but well worth it IMO.

Boobaychap
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks. I recieved another strong recommendation for Donnie and have his contact info. Apparently, he used to work for MC restoring older boats. He must be pretty good!

Regards,
Boo Bay

Cloaked
06-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks. I recieved another strong recommendation for Donnie and have his contact info. Apparently, he used to work for MC restoring older boats. He must be pretty good!

Regards,
Boo BayHe's the man for boats. He did indeed used to work for MC. He is most excellent with most anything for boats.

Donnie Bennett - 865-982-9589