PDA

View Full Version : 2001 X-Star issue...1st post

jeredh
05-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry to say my first post to TMCOwners is in the tech threads, but I have to start somewhere.
Our boat has 275 hours on it; garage kept and winterized each year by ourselves. Never had a problem until this weekend.
Boat cranked and we got about 5 sessions in until the boat died during the middle of pulling a wakeboarder.

Boat was cruising around 2,800 RPM when it just died. Gave it a minute, voltage is fine (ruling out electrical issues at this point). The boat would crank and about 5 seconds into the engine running, there was a distinct "weasing" noise coming from near the air filter intake. This would happen 4 or 5 times until we gave up.

I can hear the fuel pump prime up, so I don't think it's the fuel pump.

Someone suggested a faulty Throttle Position Sensor; another person suggested a faulty IAC sensor. And this was a first: a local guy used this term: "faulty fuel crank indicator".

My problem is that we are in Hot Springs, AR, and there is not a Mastercraft dealer here in Hot Springs.

Well - I'm glad to meet y'all, hope to hear back with any recommendations. Me and the family are stranded with no boat on the first day of the season. :(

Jered

jeredh
05-25-2008, 07:32 PM
i guess my boat info would help:

2001 X-Star
Vortec MX LT-R 5.L
330 h.p. motor

THANKS!

cbryan70
05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
when it does crank does it seem to have good power to the starter or is it limping along?

TMCNo1
05-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Welcome and sorry your having issues. Has the MC dealer in Conway closed?

jeredh
05-25-2008, 08:39 PM
when starting, yes starter gets good power. the boat will not even reach idle. the engine dies; within 5 seconds or so.

re: Conway dealership, i will have to check.

jeredh
06-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Welcome and sorry your having issues. Has the MC dealer in Conway closed?

we trailered the boat to Conway.

Alright, i'm new here and will search the forums...but can anyone direct me to a service manual *.pdf for my boat (or motor).

bigmac
06-02-2008, 12:55 AM
we trailered the boat to Conway.

Alright, i'm new here and will search the forums...but can anyone direct me to a service manual *.pdf for my boat (or motor).No service manual available, sad to say.

Your fuel pump may be spinning up, but is it pumping gas?

bigmac
06-02-2008, 12:57 AM
duplicate post

jeredh
06-02-2008, 01:48 AM
dunno....i left lake hamilton before we got the boat back from the hamilton's boat dock. opening the fuel pump wouldn't be difficult i suppose.

i thinkg MCdotcom has free service manuals. i just realized this.

fwiw, i will post up the results of conways diagnostics

jeredh
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
James at MCBoats in Conway got us fixed up. Impeller was chewed up and not cooling the engine, causing the engine to go into safe mode. pretty good news!

i'll keep an impeller on hand to replace at the end of season. which brings up my need for a shop manual. Any ideas are appreciated y'all...thanks!

James owns the service department and is real helpful. http://www.mcboats.com

What are tell-tale signs of an impeller going bad?

ttu
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
i have always replaced miine at the beginning of each season or 100 hrs should i put that many hours on it in the summer.

if the old one looks good, i just keep it as a back up and install the new one.

jeredh
06-11-2008, 11:44 PM
good advice ttu
=]

etakk7
06-12-2008, 01:22 AM
a telltale sign would be the engine running above 160

or else a temperature spike and an overheating alarm following by smoke rising from the engine!

etakk7
06-12-2008, 01:24 AM
it's better to change the impeller regularly unless you can be sure that whoever is driving the boat either keeps their eye on the temp guage or can sense the boat not running properly and be smart enough to look at the guages

bugsinrugs
06-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Time. I usually replace before the season starts just to be on the safe side.