PDA

View Full Version : 91tristar190

91tristar190
05-25-2008, 12:15 AM
I replaced the points and condesor on my 91 Tristar190 this week and went to the lake today. The boat started and ran but when I tried to accelerate it missed so bad over 1500 rpm I had to put it back on the trailer and come home. Talk about some upset 11 year olds. I bought the boat from my brother and it never had any problems like this before. I thought the points should be adjusted to .018. If these were adjusted wrong would it cause such a bad miss? I also replaced the rotor cap and plugs. The plugs were gapped at .030. What are the tune up specs for this engine? Can anybody help? I want to skie Monday!

JLeuck64
05-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Dude, I feel your pain. I have always used a tach/dwell meter to set points with. I feel that tool gets me much closer than using a set of feeler blades. Plus, once you get the feel of using a tach/dwell meter it is much easier. You can crank the engine over while adjusting the dwell (points), it's cool!

Once upon a time, in a driveway far far away...
I had a very similar situation as yourself. The engine started and idled perfectly. Just crapped out as you raised the RPM. I double and triple checked my adjustments, I finally dragged the boat down to the shop and hooked it up to an engine analyzer and then I realized what was going on! I was sold a set of points for different engine. The point spring was much weaker than the set I had removed. Near as I can figure I must have been putting a set in designed for a 4 cylinder engine. It would start and idle just fine but get it off idle and the points would start bouncing, causing extra/random ignition events. Once I installed the right points everything was happy.

TMCNo1
05-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Plugs should be gapped @ .035", dwell @ 30 degrees, timing @ 6 degrees BTDC @ 600rpm.

Gamble
05-26-2008, 08:17 PM
put you a mallory electronic ignition conversion and be done with it.......that's what I did after i had all the trouble w/points/condenser.