PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bike Help?

Covi
05-24-2008, 06:18 PM
03' Yamaha WR 250 F.

At the top of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear my engine seams to bog down. It's fine revving up to the point of shifting, but if I don't shift and wind it out it losses power. 4th and 5th seam to be fine once I get there!

I changed the plug and it seemed to have corrected the problem for the first 3 of my 6 mile test ride.

I hope someone out there can help me? Wow I've been running into a streak of bad luck lately.

coz
05-24-2008, 06:53 PM
03' Yamaha WR 250 F.

At the top of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear my engine seams to bog down. It's fine revving up to the point of shifting, but if I don't shift and wind it out it losses power. 4th and 5th seam to be fine once I get there!

I changed the plug and it seemed to have corrected the problem for the first 3 of my 6 mile test ride.

I hope someone out there can help me? Wow I've been running into a streak of bad luck lately.

1st prob = Yamaha :rolleyes:

Fix =
http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/RMZ250K7.jpg

:D

Check the carb also might be valves sticking

Covi
05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
1st prob = Yamaha :rolleyes:

Fix =
http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/RMZ250K7.jpg

:D

Check the carb also might be valves sticking

Thanks coz. I'm not a very good wrench when in comes to the bike. I do the basics. I'm going to look at the carb tomorrow. I'm hoping it's not going to be an expensive fix. I guess that's why I started with the $8 plug! I didn't know if it could be a coil? or jetting issue. I've never messed with it since new.

ncsone
05-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Not sure if this is related or not, but I would definitely recommend having someone look at your valve clearance. Especially if it has never been done. My WR426 had to have the valve clearance adjusted fairly regularly. Those titanium valves are relatively soft.

If it is an '03 and they have never been checked, I would suggest getting them checked regardless of whether or not that is the cause of the issue.

coz
05-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Try a new air cleaner and take the carb off and blast the heck out of it with some carb cleaner. The plug is always the first place to start trouble shooting, so you ain't wrong. Good luck :D

Covi
05-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I just added a nice K & N air filter. ncsone, I'll have gthe dealer check the vavle clearance like you recommend. Thanks more ammo the better when walking into the dealer.

Chief
05-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I had a 02 YZF 426 and the main jet had a knack for clogging up if it sat too long. I once had to take the carb all apart and clean it out since the jets corrode very easily. If it has set for more than two months I bet that's the problem.

P.S. Yamaha all the way! Suzuki's are great enduro's! Count yamaha's accolades and count suzuki's ,one or two good years don't make ya good.

Risi
05-24-2008, 10:10 PM
you should check the fuel/air mixture if its too lean or rich it could cause it to bog down

Covi
05-25-2008, 07:09 AM
I had a 02 YZF 426 and the main jet had a knack for clogging up if it sat too long. I once had to take the carb all apart and clean it out since the jets corrode very easily. If it has set for more than two months I bet that's the problem.

P.S. Yamaha all the way! Suzuki's are great enduro's! Count yamaha's accolades and count suzuki's ,one or two good years don't make ya good.

i was thinking that it could be a jetting problem. Things get plugged up. I'll check this also today!

coz
05-25-2008, 08:54 AM
[COLOR=#333333]

But my Suzuki is running with never a problem and I've now heard of 3 Yami's with problems on this thread :confused:

I grew up on Yamaha's but at some point you have to grow up and go yellow or even green now :D

bigmac
05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
03' Yamaha WR 250 F.

I hope someone out there can help me? Wow I've been running into a streak of bad luck lately.Sounds like a mixture issue. First thing I'd do is pull the carb and clean it. While I had it apart, I'd most definitely put in a stage 1 DynoJet carb kit.

http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/yamaha.aspx

Maristar210
05-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Fuel issue. Sounds like a jet needs a good cleaning to me.

bigmac
05-25-2008, 09:42 AM
But my Suzuki is running with never a problem and I've now heard of 3 Yami's with problems on this thread :confused:

I grew up on Yamaha's but at some point you have to grow up and go yellow or even green now :D

Oh please :rolleyes:

I've had three Suzuki's - two DR-Z400S and a DR 650 SE. They were nice bikes, but not THAT special. All three were ridiculously lean from the factory, all three required major upgrades to airbox, carb, gearing, suspension.

Reliability?...certainly no better than any Yamaha bike I've ever owned since 1982.

Covi
05-25-2008, 09:44 AM

I've had three Suzuki's - two DR-Z400S and a DR 650 SE. They were nice bikes, but not THAT special. All three were ridiculously lean from the factory, all three required major upgrades to airbox, carb, gearing, suspension.

You've got that thing apart. Any reason for doing so?

Covi
05-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a mixture issue. First thing I'd do is pull the carb and clean it. While I had it apart, I'd most definitely put in a stage 1 DynoJet carb kit.

http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/yamaha.aspx

Big Mac I've been looking into this. Thanks for the link!

bigmac
05-25-2008, 09:47 AM
You've got that thing apart. Any reason for doing so?:) Suspension, gearing, airbox, carb.

Covi
05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Nice. I've done a few upgrades to mine. One of the easiest, new K & N air filter. it's top notch.

bigmac
05-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Big Mac I've been looking into this. Thanks for the link!

I'm a big fan of those Dynojet kits. I haven't owned a motorcycle in the last 15 years that I haven't put one in (except for the EFI's - in which case I put in Dynojet PowerCommanders). My son is a certified Yamaha tech (trained at MMI) and he agrees.

Covi
05-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Wife's starting to get angry! She's ready and out the door in 5 minutes she can't wait to get on the water. I'll let you know how the lake was. So nice to have toys. Atleast the boat runs well!

Covi
05-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm a big fan of those Dynojet kits. I haven't owned a motorcycle in the last 15 years that I haven't put one in (except for the EFI's - in which case I put in Dynojet PowerCommanders). My son is a certified Yamaha tech (trained at MMI) and he agrees.

bigmac, after hearing that it's a done deal. My local dealer should be able to install as well as tune the bike all in one shot?

bigmac
05-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Nice. I've done a few upgrades to mine. One of the easiest, new K & N air filter. it's top notch.
Yeh, I forgot to mention K&N filter on my bike. However, please note that the 2003's all came WAY lean from the factory to meet emission standards. If you increased airflow by putting on a K&N filter and did so without changing your already-lean factory jetting, you are now running WAY WAY lean. Rejetting for your bike is a must-do operation.

edit: just noticed that you said you've recently changed to a K&N. I suspect that means that lean condition is your problem.

coz
05-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Reliability?...certainly no better than any Yamaha bike I've ever owned since 1982.

There's your problem BM :confused: DR's are street/enduro. If your gonna play in the dirt you need RM or RMZ :D

bigmac
05-25-2008, 10:07 AM
There's your problem BM :confused: DR's are street/enduro. If your gonna play in the dirt you need RM or RMZ :D

I bought them knowing they were 80/20 street/dirt. I wanted them 80/20 dirt/street, hence the upgrades.

Don't get me wrong...Suzukis are nice bikes....just nothing special in the design/engineering/reliability departments compared to anything else on the market from Yamaha or Honda .

IMHO. YMMV.

coz
05-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I bought them knowing they were 80/20 street/dirt. I wanted them 80/20 dirt/street, hence the upgrades.

Don't get me wrong...Suzukis are nice bikes....just nothing special in the design/engineering/reliability departments compared to anything else on the market from Yamaha or Honda .

IMHO. YMMV.

Don't get me wrong either I like any of the big 4 bike manufacturers :D

Since we're on the subject of old and reliable, check this 1993 Kawasaki KX 250 I bought new to follow my kids around on their RM 80's back in the 90's I still have this bike and am keeping it because it's still almost showroom condition after 15 years.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2159/2089248244_e583547cac_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2249/2088459629_192e557cc6_b.jpg

bigmac
05-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Don't get me wrong either I like any of the big 4 bike manufacturers :D

Since we're on the subject of old and reliable, check this 1993 Kawasaki KX 250 I bought new to follow my kids around on their RM 80's back in the 90's I still have this bike and am keeping it because it's still almost showroom condition after 15 years.

Here's my old 1982 550XT. It's had a hard life, not exactly showroom condition, but she's a game old girl and just keeps thumpin'. Almost 15,000 miles, no work other than wear items.

I do note that as I age, or as the bike ages, it's getting harder and harder to kick start. I think it's the bike, but my son doesn't seem to have any trouble with it.

coz
05-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Here's my old 1982 550XT. It's had a hard life, not exactly showroom condition, but she's a game old girl and just keeps thumpin'. Almost 15,000 miles, no work other than wear items.

ok! ok! I fess :rolleyes: when I got out of the service in 1984 I bought a new IT 490 from T&O Yamaha in Torrance (exactly like pic) and I sold it back in 1992 to my wifes cousin and the bike is still around :D Yami's are good :D

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/03/10/bikepics-538752-800.jpg

Maristar210
05-25-2008, 11:50 AM
www.jdjetting.com is where I bought mine for my lean KTM

bigmac
05-25-2008, 12:00 PM
www.jdjetting.com is where I bought mine for my lean KTMJimmy doesn't have a jetting kit that will work on Covi's bike.

Maristar210
05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Jimmy doesn't have a jetting kit that will work on Covi's bike.

I don't want to disagree with you Mr. Mac but me thinks dey doo

http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=25&cat=1&page=1

PS - Reading this made me go get my helmet and ride her a bit..

bigmac
05-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't want to disagree with you Mr. Mac but me thinks dey doo

http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=25&cat=1&page=1

PS - Reading this made me go get my helmet and ride her a bit..

I hate it when you disagree with me, Mr. Maristar, but...I stand corrected.

TX.X-30 fan
05-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Wow I was hoping it would escalate to blows. :D:D

Covi
05-25-2008, 04:28 PM
You guys are great. i knew someone could figure out my problems. Well back from the lake. Beautiful day out. Our boat is running great. Ton of kayakers out made for difficult boating in the narrow spots. I'll post some pics tonight. Have to go put the boat away.

bigmac
05-25-2008, 07:13 PM
You guys are great. i knew someone could figure out my problems. Well back from the lake. Beautiful day out. Our boat is running great. Ton of kayakers out made for difficult boating in the narrow spots. I'll post some pics tonight. Have to go put the boat away.

Great. We were here all day solving your bike problem and you were boating...:mad:

cbryan70
05-25-2008, 07:17 PM
yeah, this may be the longest day of work i have ever experienced. got a call from a buddy to go out on the river but nope got to work till 8.

Covi
05-26-2008, 07:01 AM
You guys make me LOL. I wasn't boating all day!

By the way the help and knowledge from all you people is much appreciated.

Maristar210
05-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Wow I was hoping it would escalate to blows. :D:D

You and Jorski have reached a milestone no one else could reach....

Covi
06-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Bike update. It's been in the shop for the last three weeks. The dealer told me to pick it up twice because it is "running awesome". Dude do they test drive these things before they say come and get it? That's right I had to bring it back it was running worse then the day I dropped it off.

Now I have no confidence they can get it fixed. They said they done everything to it they can. They think the problem now could be electrical but can't hook a tack to it to find out. What kind of place is this?

Today i'm bringing my bike to another dealer for trade. I hate to do this and can't believe it's come down to trading it. I feel like it will never run the same and I can't have that.

Am I doing the right thing and is there any recourse on the dealer that messed it up BAD?

bigmac
06-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Fuel system problems are generally easier to track down than electrical, so with problems like yours, the usual thing is to clean the carb,clean the carb, clean the carb, make sure mixture is appropriate, new fuel filter, make sure tank is clean, fresh fuel, adjust valve clearance...all that stuff. If that doesn't do it, time to dive into the electrical stuff. New plug, check timing...could also be a bad or misaligned throttle position sensor (TPS)...THEN if all else fails, time to consider the CDI box. Those can fail, can cause your symptoms, and are tough to diagnose - or at least more time-consuming than the shop may want to endure. Usually, they hate to just commit you to the expense of replacing it as a diagnostic procedure because you'd be REALLY pissed if they made you buy a $450 CDI box and it didn't fix the problem. I confess however, over the years on more than one occasion, I've replaced a CDI box only on the basis of not being able to find anything else wrong and it's fixed the issue both times. HOwever, getting to that point is dependent on the quality of the other work the tech has done. How well did he clean the carbs? Did he jet it right? etc.

Frustrating, I know. Taking it to a second shop is a good idea in this case. No, other than negotiating with the first shop, I don't see that you have any recourse. A reasonable shop will negotiate with you for a problem that they weren't able to fix.

Covi
06-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Heavy stuff! But just what I wanted to hear! bigmac you said it! Like I said I hate to sell the bike, when a possible 450.00 for a new CDI box could solve the problem. Along with most likley re-jetting, plug, fresh tank, clean carb. I mention the CDI box to the guy at the counter he reccomended borrowing one off another bike and seeing if that fixes the problem. I was thinking to myself "that's your job".

Thanks for the advice!!!!

Team Talk Rules!!!!

bigmac
06-14-2008, 09:32 AM
In this situation, if I were convinced that the fuel system and valves were up to snuff...I'd consider buying a new CDI box. If it didn't fix the problem, you could cut your losses by re-selling it on ebay.

As an alternative...note this ebay auction.... (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-WR250F-WR-250-F-cdi-box-ignition-brain-black-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQ categoryZ35587QQihZ007QQitemZ170190106143QQrdZ1QQs spagenameZWD1V) for example. There are many other motorcycle salvage and parts recyclers out there, too.

edit: looking at the parts catalog for your bike, and doing a brief price search, my off-the-cuff $450 reference looks pretty high. Looks like it's closer to about half of that. If you're contemplating a CDI replacement, call a dealer and get a price for part number 5UM-85540-00-00. Ignition coils (part number 5UL-82310-00-00) are usually pretty cheap, you might consider replacing that first, or in addition.

Covi
06-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks again bigmac!!!!