PDA

View Full Version : Shaft coupler

herringtech
05-24-2008, 06:13 PM
I am trying to install a PSS shaft seal in my 98' PS205 X-Star edition and I cannot get the stinking shaft coupler off the shaft.

I have a spacer in there and have tightened down as much as possible.

I have rapped it a few times with a brass mallet as to not mar the coupler.

Its not moving.

Any suggestions?:confused:

TMCNo1
05-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Elbert's/ARE Manufacturing, www.elberts.com (http://www.elberts.com) has specific tools for the coupler removal, check them out!

herringtech
05-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I couldn't find anything specific to removing the coupler. They have a slide hammer for the strut bearing, but not the coupler.

Any other suggestions?

chico
05-24-2008, 06:41 PM
when you have it tesioned,place a large hammer on one side of the coupler and strike the other side with a hammer,it should pop right off.

herringtech
05-24-2008, 06:55 PM
no go Chico. Tried that every way to Sunday just now and it didn't budge.

pup
05-24-2008, 07:08 PM
The slide hammer they sell for removing the strut bushing is also used to remove the shaft. You unbolt the coupler, remove the nut & bolt the coupler back onto the transmission. Screw the slide hammer onto the prop end of the shaft & hammer away. I bought the slide hammer a few years ago , for short money it's a quality tool.

coz
05-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Is this what I'm going to go through when I put this on my boat?
http://skidim.com/images/21705.jpg
I'd like to be prepared so keep us informed :D

herringtech
05-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Very similar product coz. slightly different parts, but does the same thing.

If the shaft coupler has never been removed and the boat is older (mine is 10 years old, but was poorly maintained by the previous owner) that thing is going to be practically welded on.

Before I came to the good side of the force I had a 81' Nautique. I replaced a bent shaft with the ARE system that elberts sells. It has a unique extractor nut that screws into the coupler, and with a special coupler wrench that holds the coupler in place you easily extract the shaft. Its a brilliant system and I hope the new owners of my old boat appreciate the effort I went through to bang that old single taper shaft out.

Now I am faced with the same issue on my Mastercraft. It isn't budging. I will look into the slide hammer.

herringtech
05-24-2008, 07:52 PM
pup, you said unbolt the coupler, remove the nut, and bolt the coupler back onto the trans.

What nut. I didn't see any nuts on the outside or inside the coupler. Did I miss something?

TMCNo1
05-24-2008, 08:20 PM
pup, you said unbolt the coupler, remove the nut, and bolt the coupler back onto the trans.

What nut. I didn't see any nuts on the outside or inside the coupler. Did I miss something?

Oh crap, it's kinda up inside the rear coupler. It should be somewhat simular to this picture, http://www.elberts.com/system.htm. What do you think keeps the shaft from coming out of the coupler, works on that end, just like the nut holds the prop on the shaft on the other end.

herringtech
05-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Son of a ...!! On the Nautique there were two set screws on the outside of the coupler.

What I see on the inside is what looks like the end of the shaft with a small hole in it. There also appears to be a blue o-ring in there. I don't see any screws, but I will take a closer look tomorrow morning.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know.

herringtech
05-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Harold,
Are you referring to item #7 on the ARE diagram? That appears to be on the outside too. I don't have anything on the outside of the coupler.

????

pup
05-24-2008, 08:34 PM
The shaft on my boat (01 malibu) is a tapered press fit into the coupler. The nut inside the coupler pulls the shaft into taper. All you can see from the outside is a set screw which prevents the nut from backing off. This is the same as the exploded view on the Elbert's site.

coz
05-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Very similar product coz. slightly different parts, but does the same thing.

If the shaft coupler has never been removed and the boat is older (mine is 10 years old, but was poorly maintained by the previous owner) that thing is going to be practically welded on.

Now I am faced with the same issue on my Mastercraft. It isn't budging. I will look into the slide hammer.

I was looking at the one your putting on but was recomended to go with the OJ from this message board :D the reason I'm interested is I have the same year 205 as you and I'm just looking to get rid of the drip, good luck :D

herringtech
05-24-2008, 10:03 PM
coz, I put the PSS on my Nautique and loved it. My bilge was pretty much dry from then on. So that is why I went with the PSS over the OJ. The OJ is slightly less expensive, but it wasn't out when I put it on my old boat.

I figured to stick with what I knew worked. To not have to change out a stuffing box again and have a dry bilge are very attractive things.

Now if I can find this damn set screw on the inside of the coupler :)

herringtech
05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
I think I found the nut. Is it enormous? My 1 1/16" socket was too small. I could just see the facets to the nut deep inside the coupler upon closer inspection.

Anyone know the size of that nut? I'm thinking it's a 1 1/4" but I will buy a few sockets larger than 1 1/16" just to be safe.

Thanks guys.

chico
05-25-2008, 08:44 AM
i BELIEVE IT`S 1-1/8,You mean you didn`t take the nut off?you can use a pipe wrench to hold the coupler.

coz
05-25-2008, 08:57 AM
To not have to change out a stuffing box again and have a dry bilge are very attractive things.

Now if I can find this damn set screw on the inside of the coupler :)

Agreed :D sounds like your almost there :D

TMCNo1
05-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Harold,
Are you referring to item #7 on the ARE diagram? That appears to be on the outside too. I don't have anything on the outside of the coupler.

????

No, #8, the nut up inside the coupler.

herringtech
05-25-2008, 10:07 PM
success finally. It's a 1 1/4" socket and it was still a bear to get off.

The PSS is installed and got it all back together good.

Thanks all.

coz
05-25-2008, 11:14 PM

Thanks all.

:banana:Nice!:banana:

TMCNo1
05-26-2008, 06:26 AM

Thanks all.

Great news!