PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this Swim Platform? - Is it teak?

SierraDump
05-24-2008, 12:45 AM
So I bought this '79 Stars/Stripes and everything is nice EXCEPT the swim deck... I think it was fiberglass but the previous owner covered it with astroturf - which is now rotting away... I stripped a little of it off but it looks awful underneath.

What can I do to this? If I sand it, will the wood look nice, or is it just plywood?

Thanks for any suggestions as always!

h2oskifreak
05-24-2008, 01:01 AM
I'd start strippin it and see what it looks like. If it's teak, keep goin. If it's plywood an idea might be to Rhino Line it.

SierraDump
05-24-2008, 01:28 AM
I had thought about that and actually have a half gallon of RhinoLine for a truck bed I never did...

Im scarred to remove it for sanding though as it is either siliconed or glued to the transom (in addition to the bolts)... I am scared that if i pull it off, It will take chunks of the paint with it and I DON'T want to paint the boat!!!

I wonder if I could sand it while it is still on, maybe sand by hand when up against the transom being careful not to sand the paint off!!!

Any ideas on how to tackle this???

T Scott
05-24-2008, 03:56 AM
You could also use some non-skid paint.

h2oskifreak
05-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Can you get something in between the platform and the gel coat? Like a piece of cardboard or sheet metal (be careful w/ metal around fiberglass) to protect from scratching when sanding or painting.

bigmac
05-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Im scarred to remove it for sanding though as it is either siliconed or glued to the transom (in addition to the bolts)... I am scared that if i pull it off, It will take chunks of the paint with it and I DON'T want to paint the boat!!!

That could be a problem if the boat was indeed painted by a previous owner. However, most boats even of that vintage are gel coated, not painted, and gel coat can stand up pretty well to chemicals and isn't likely to peel off in this scenario.

TMCNo1
05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Looks like blue astroturf covered fiberglass!

SierraDump
05-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I can't really fit anything in between the deck and the transom to protect during sanding - this is what I had wanted to do, then just pull out my orbital sander and go to town on it and see what the wood looks like - if its ugly, then I would rhino line it. I figure I will just take a piece of cardboard and tape it along the seam where the platform/transom meet up.

I really wish I could find a teak deck but its such an oddball item to find for sale...

JLeuck64
05-24-2008, 02:49 PM
If I were in your situation, just to get me through this season I would clean off all the old turf and glue. Then glue down a fresh piece of turf. You could always tackle it again during the off season with a more permanent fix...

cbryan70
05-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I have a fiberglass platform that i removed from my boat. It does needs some repairing but it does look alot better then that. Im thinking it will be EXPENSIVE to ship to you from chicago.

cbryan70
05-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Also when iremoved my platform i took the gas tank out, then took all the screws out and well it was stuck had to use a scaper to get the thing off and i did end up taking some of the gelcoat with it. a little bit of marine tex fixed it right up. just doesnt look to pretty below the platform but i never have to look at that

TMCNo1
05-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Rhino Liner or LineX sprayed on bed liner!

SierraDump
05-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Okay so I am thinking I will just clean it up and rhino line it - don't know how the black swim deck will look behind the blue/white boat - BUT ANYTHING WILL LOOK BETTER THAN IT DOES NOW!

I did manage to find this for $100 about 1hr away - came off a SANGER ski boat - don't know if it will fit right against my transom? Any thoughts?

TMCNo1
05-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Okay so I am thinking I will just clean it up and rhino line it - don't know how the black swim deck will look behind the blue/white boat - BUT ANYTHING WILL LOOK BETTER THAN IT DOES NOW!

I did manage to find this for $100 about 1hr away - came off a SANGER ski boat - don't know if it will fit right against my transom? Any thoughts?

From the looks of the other platform, it may be worth a try!

SierraDump
05-24-2008, 08:10 PM
But does anyone here know if the transom of an early sanger have the same curve as the transom of a Stars/Stripes? I doubt they are a perfect match and I don't have a saw. I suppose I could borrow/buy one - but I hate to drive another 2hrs to pick it up, plus the $100 and then find out it doesn't fit properly.

On top of that - what kind of mounts can I use for a Teak deck? My current fiberglass deck has mounts built into it (molded out of fiberglass...)

Thanks again for any insight.

cbryan70
05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
It is not TO hard to resize the transom. You will beable to use your old platform as a template for the curve of your transom and just trace it on the new teak. You could bring it to any wood working place and they could make it look perfect.