PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Wrangler

Prostar in Michigain
05-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Anyone on TT own a Jeep? Maybe even a Wrangler? I have been reffing hockey games making $42 a game. I also have been working at the AAA baseball teams games working the concesion games and serving picnics. Saving for two years except for buying my new board I have made $3,535. My parents are putting into the car whatever i put in (although i have to pay for insurance and gas). My dad and I went and looked at some jeeps and we found one. Its getting the used car inspection and were going to go test drive it. It is a 5spd and my dad is teaching me to drive stick this weekend up at the lake. Anyone got any do's or donts about jeeps? Also anyone got any tips on driving stick? I hope it doesnt take me to long to get the hang of it.

TIA

Mark

coz
05-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Anyone got any do's or donts about jeeps? .

TIA

Mark

Don't ever! not take you Jeep in the dirt and especially mud :D you'll get the stick thing, just takes practice :D good luck

My son has a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x :D

brucemac
05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
i owned a black 95 4-cylinder wrangler soft top. bought it new. it was the last year of the old design before they changed the front end, suspension, dash, etc. don't believe they made a 96. it went straight to 97's with the new design. it was my first new car. put quite a bit into it. rims and tires, great stereo. sold it to a kid going away to college. he was stoked.

thing was awesome. it could go anywhere. it was a 4 cylinder, but it did me fine.

can't give you much advice on what to look for. there's not much to them really. if it's a soft top, make sure you check all the zippers. those windows and doors aren't cheap.

the thing never gave me one bit of trouble and resale is great on those at least those years.

god luck :)

rholmes
05-23-2008, 05:47 PM
I had a 97 with the 2.5 (4cyl) and it was an awesome rig. As far as being a 5spd, it is very easy to drive and get started (the first gear is way low and this was probably the best vehicle for teaching someone how to drive a 5spd. You could almost pop the clutch with no gas and it would not stall. I always popped the clutch around 1500 rpms and left with out much rattle or shaking.).

Things to look for on all the TJ models:
Radiator- They were notorious for going out. Make sure the one you are looking at has been replaced (believe me, it probably has been).
Exhaust Manifold- Both the 4 and 6cyl suffered problems with this. They tended to get cracked or eat up the gasket at the cylinder(s) closest to the firewall. You can here it sounds like a car with an open exhaust system with the hood up if it has the problem. You can also put your hand back there by the rear cylinders/ firewall and feel the exhaust slap on your hands if it has the leak. If it does, 9 times out of 10 the back bolt will break off when you go to replace it. Not a huge deal, keep this in mind if you make an offer on a jeep that needs a new gasket or header. And it will go forever with the problem, so you can blow it off. Your emissions dept in your state will probably mind though... if they catch it.
Catalytic Converter- Again, another thing they were notorious for chewing up. Probably 40%-50% of Jeeps ate them up before the 80k mile mark (so they were replaced under warranty). Ask if this is the case, other wise, climb under the car and lightly punch/shake the muffler. If it sounds like it has bb's in it, then expect to drop $250 roughly on a new cat and muffler.
Lastly, Electric. If the car has any, and I mean any electric problems (interior lights not working, wipers won't work on all levels) walk away. Every now and then, they had the wiring go bananas on these things. I saw some guys who would honk the horn and the headlights would flash, or they would turn on the blower for the AC and the wipers would come on.

Don't let this intimidate you. These are just things to look out for. Obviously if the jeep is scratched up pretty good or dinged in a lot of panels, it has probably seen some rough trail life. Take that into consideration. A lot of these things were typical and replaced/fixed by the dealer or owner, and once addressed, don't pop their head again. The electrical gremlins are the only thing I would watch out for. They never seem to get 100% fixed and they always started coming back.

Enjoy the new ride. If I were you, I would look for a 97-99 model, 4cyl (gets about 22mpg on the highway) with full or half doors. The top is up to you (soft or hard). Good luck!

Datdude
05-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I had a 1990 Jeep Wrangler 4-Cylinder/5-Speed when I was 18 and it was a TURD. It had 85K when I got it and had major problems with oil leaks, and other stuff. The concept of the 4x4 convertible is great, but that was no good. The vehicle was severely underpowered and would not allow me to pass other vehicles unless I was going downhill in a tailwind. I kept it for 3 months and sold it.

badams
05-24-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm on my 3rd Wrangler. You'll love it. Just take your time with the stick. To teach me when I was 16 my mom put me on a hill and told me to practice until I could go forward without the car rolling backwards at all. If you can get that down you won't have anything to worry about on flat ground. Good luck!

jkski
05-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Great vehicle, my wife bought one new in 93 and it is still running today as a daily driver with 190K on it. It's a 4.0l 6cyl. and the only issues we have had have been the usual Jeep rust spots.
Go for it, you'll love it.

94PS190
05-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I highly recomend a six cylinder. Especially if you plan on putting on larger tires. I love my 94 wrangler. The thing is bullit proof.

Willski
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Great vehicle. Definitely noisy and rough riding though!!

ogrover3
05-26-2008, 08:12 PM
great choice for a recreational vehicle. i am on my 3rd. started with a cj then a 99 and now a 95. loved them all. not really a great choice for a large distance travel. also would agree about the 6 cylinder if you plan for larger tires otherwise a 4 would be sufficient. if you do plan for a lift do your research and dont go too big unless you plan on dropping some big $. you will enjoy it good times

magnum
05-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I bought my son a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L . Great vehicle and fun to drive . If you are looking for a vehicle for good gas mileage , this will not be it , gets around 13mpg town and maybe 16 hwy. but they are made for off roading and not for great mileage. Built tough and rugged.

thijs
05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
I would never cheap on a vehicle again. I will always make sure I have the best engine- in your case the 4.0 is BOMB (even environmentally safe bombs) proof. If you can try to get one with all the gear if you are going to be wheeling hard. Off road you can't beat locking differentials.

Make sure to WAIT to get what YOU want. If you are iffy on a colour- you will later resent the decision to get it. If you skimp on engine- you will hate being under powered late.

Picking up what I am putting down???

good luck dude.

uawaterskier
05-28-2008, 01:00 AM
we used to have a heep...i mean jeep. It was a fun rec vehicle. My advice, don't tow anything with it. It just cant handle it. My buddy jacked up a nice 2 seadoo trailer because he couldn't get it stopped.

Dbuck
05-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I also got a 6 cyl TJ (1997) for my son. As others mentioned, check the radiator. Overall, it has been a good reliable vehicle. We had the auto trans rebuilt around 140k miles. It has been used hard but not really abused-just a lot of the stuff Jeeps are made to do and has held up well. Not to say we haven't spent a few bucks here and there, but it was nothing you wouldn't expect from the use it has had. We would definitely do it again. Most of the stuff we have done ourselves-a fairly straightforward vehicle to learn basic mechanics. The 4.0 is a tough engine.

As a daily driver/only vehicle, the downside is gas mileage and insurance.

Gonzo
05-28-2008, 02:41 PM
we used to have a heep...i mean jeep. It was a fun rec vehicle. My advice, don't tow anything with it. It just cant handle it. My buddy jacked up a nice 2 seadoo trailer because he couldn't get it stopped.

I was going to ask, did you intend to tow with it? If so be careful, my 93 honda can pull my boat.... stopping it, well thats something else. I have heard the wranglers dont have the stopping power to tow.

wakeX2wake
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
good friend of mine has a '99 Wrangler Sahara... no problems w/ it... put 2 inches of lift and 33s on it and it looks bad azz... he towed his '94 ps205 3 hrs to oxford mississippi a few times per yr w/ no problems if you watch what you're doing... better yet know what you're doing... rides like crap and you can barely hear the radio... yep its AWESOME... nothing better than taking the doors and top off during the summer on the way to the lake house... my advice on the 5-speed... PRACTICE... i had to learn to drive a five speed before i could drive an automatic but i grew up on dirt bikes and 4-wheelers so i just had to move the clutch w/ my left foot instead of my left hand

kjb
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
my jeep
http://www.jeepz.com/gallery/data//500/thumbs/MVC-006L1.JPG (http://www.jeepz.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1804)
http://www.jeepz.com/gallery/data//500/thumbs/MVC-013L.JPG (http://www.jeepz.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1828)