PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro Problems

acurtis_ttu
04-11-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm having issues with my PP WB Pro. I have a 96 PS 190. It is not holding speed very well when weighted (approx 2000#'s), or unweighted. I've adjusted the KDW and NN settings (called PP they said to try KDW=200, NN=100) still not much of a difference, They also said to check the return throttle spring. Does anyone have a picture of what this looks like/located? My PP speedometer is not calibrated right either…could this be a problem? It's about 4-5 MPH slow (pp=16, actual boat speed=21)

G-man
04-11-2005, 11:21 AM
To test it further put it in the rpm mode and set at like 2100 rpms and take a test ride. If it holds speed better it could be the paddle wheel or the placement of the paddlewheel. This will test out if the return spring and master module are working. If everything checks out I would then calibrate for speed mode with a GPS. On my old boat the paddlewheel was very sensitive to having the boat level side to side. A phone call to perfect pass after you do this while your on the boat could help you also. Hope this helps.

NeilM
04-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Agree with George -- try rpm mode and see if it holds -- might be placement of the paddlewheel. 5mph variance on 16 indicated seems like a lot; might suggest the paddlewheel is getting turbulence from somewhere. Does the indicated speed on the PP vary a lot if you turn the wheel?

I'm on my THIRD paddlewheel location on my 210 VRS - this last one based on a recommended location by MYMC - can't wait to try it out when the ice melts!

acurtis_ttu
04-11-2005, 12:36 PM
I will try setting it in RPM mode. How well should it hold? will the RPMS remain steady or do they vary a few hundred up and down? When the PP is on and weighted with a rider I will get varaince's of +/- 3-4mph's The other boats I've been in will hold speed within .5 mph (max)
I've also heard that b/c my boat is small (PS 190) that when weighted PP has a hard time holding speed and will not hold as well as a larger boat.
I will also be recalibrating my PP speedo with a GPS

G-man
04-11-2005, 03:24 PM
A 190 should hold as good as a bigger boat. They pull trick events with it on the smaller boats. Anyone remember the trick ski? The rpms will vary a couple hundred but if your with your gps the speed should be real close. Do all your testing with the boat not weighted. Good luck, let us know what you figure out.

erkoehler
04-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Trick ski, I got one of those! And a combo pair of one of those...

Ever need a good laugh, put one of your buddies out on the trick skis with limited direction and no skiing experience. Not that I would ever do that! :D

acurtis_ttu
04-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Agree with George -- try rpm mode and see if it holds -- might be placement of the paddlewheel. 5mph variance on 16 indicated seems like a lot; might suggest the paddlewheel is getting turbulence from somewhere. Does the indicated speed on the PP vary a lot if you turn the wheel?

I'm on my THIRD paddlewheel location on my 210 VRS - this last one based on a recommended location by MYMC - can't wait to try it out when the ice melts!

Neil.....unfortunatley this may be my problem. I looked at a friendn paddlewheel placement (same boat but a 95) his paddlewheel location is on the left side of the boat near parallel with the drain plug by the first tracking fin. Mine is currently located on the opposite side of the baot near/parrallel the 3rd (last fin) I'm thinking I may be getting turbulance from the fins. Could this be my problem....it doesn't appear to be obstructed by anything. how important is paddlewheel placement? If I need to move locations....should I buy another paddlewheel assembly or cna I re-use the original?

NeilM
04-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Dealer is doing the fiberglass work, but we're re-using the paddlewheel. More recent installs I've seen are moving the paddlewheel a little farther astern than the fins.

Have you had a chance to try RPM mode? If that doesn't hold it rock on, then your problem isn't the paddlewheel.

Unless the paddlewheel is REAL CLOSE to the first fin, I'd be looking for something upstream of that instead. Is the paddlewheel itself directly aligned with the waterflow or is the assembly perhaps a little mis-oriented in the hole (ie. out of line)

Fire a note off to MYMC - ask him where they usually mount the paddlewheel on your model / year boat. Also talk to PerfectPass again. For some Malibus, they ended up installing a spacer which put the paddlewheel deeper into (undisturbed) water.

I'm still a couple of months away from being able to try out my latest paddlewheel location (ice hasn't melted yet).

Good Luck,
Neil

acurtis_ttu
04-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Have you had a chance to try RPM mode? If that doesn't hold it rock on, then your problem isn't the paddlewheel.

Will test on sunday. In RPM mode the speed should hold, correct? If the speeed doesn't hold then it coudl be the throttle return spring among other things?

what are symptoms of a "misplaced" paddlewheel?

G-man
04-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Well you have listed the symtoms of bad paddlewheel placement. I hope it works for you in rpm mode and you have fun.

acurtis_ttu
04-15-2005, 06:28 PM
i'm keeping my fingers crossed. I got some great tip sheet from Aaron @ PP to help wiht the problem. I think it is probably the paddlewheel though. Thanks for all the help. I'll post what I find. I'll try and get some picks up of wher the paddle wheel is located.

acurtis_ttu
04-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the help. I ran my PP in RPM mode and the RPMs held fine, but the speed was still off. It was even worse when making s-turns. According to everything I've read and what the guys @ PP told me, my paddlewheel is more than likely in the wrong spot. I'm having it moved this week. I'll post another update, to confirm if this is my problem. Every other test I ran checked out ok.

G-man
04-27-2005, 06:33 PM
I think your on the right track. It makes sense that the speed would differ during s turns in rpm mode. It just like going around a turn island in rpm mode, the rpms stay the same but the speed varies in the turn. The boat slows down.