PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Yoopers!...Lake Michigamme info.

#47of100TeamMC
05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a friend who is planning a trip up to Lake Michigamme in Late July. Wondering if anyone has any info on the lake. Anything from places to ski, places to watch out for? Islands to hang out at, Shallow areas to avoid. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jclose8
05-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Here is a pretty good map of the lake:

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/marquette/lakemichigamme/

Best place to ski is usually just south of Tower Bay... (not sure if it has a name... above and behind presbytery point) but the lake is huge. You can always find somewhere that is calm and isn't busy.

If you look at the extreme east end of the lake on the map.... it doesn't really show it well on the map, but directly south of the pesheekee river, there is a long sandbar that runs east west. That entire light blue area right below the river mouth is about 2 feet deep. The dropoff is quite abrupt. It is marked with buoys, so watch for them.

Anything south of Dutchman's point, down by the dam is pretty weedy.

On the west end, Sundstrom Island is pretty much submerged. Steer clear of that. You'll see it easily as you get close, but it isn't as obvious as you might think.

I haven't explored any islands, and I'm not sure which ones you are even allowed on. They are essentially big boulders, though. You aren't going to be able to get right up to shore. You would probably need to anchor and swim to the island.

Let me know when your friend will be there, I go there a few times a summer.

Jamie

jclose8
05-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Actually, I was wrong about Sundstrom Island....

I just noticed that you can click on the various points of interest on that map and it shows pictures. Pretty cool. Anyway, somewhere over by Sundstrom Island is a (mostly) submerged rock island. It is marked with buoys.

#47of100TeamMC
05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks Jamie Awesome Info! I think he's going late July. Not for sure yet I don't think. I will pass along your suggestions. I appreciate it!