PDA

View Full Version : New to Me: '79 Stars/Stripes - Maintenance before using?

SierraDump
05-23-2008, 02:39 AM
New boat owner - Just picked up a '79 Stars/Stripes... Been sitting for 4 years.

What should I check before putting it in the water this holiday weekend!

Oil: What oil does it take? I hears some say Diesel oil? What brand/weight?

Transmission: Has the Borg-Warner Velvet Drive - What fluid do I use? How much? And how to change the fluid?

Waterpump Impeller: I put a hose in the pickup and it seemed to run fine- is this something I should change anyway, or can I just keep an eye on the temp and replace if necessary?

Grease: does anything need greasing after sitting this long? If so - what and where???

Anything else you think I should know or pay attention to???

Thanks as always!

Gamble
05-24-2008, 07:10 PM
I'd change impeller for sure. Water hose does the work for the motor, so you can't really tell if it'll overheat without putting it in the water.....definitely replace impeller. I'd grease the rudder-under the floor at rear. I use valvoline 20w50 in the motor. Ask someone about fluid for tranny.....there's a dipstick marked for when it's full. I'd check the packing seal for the driveshaft and see to it it doesn't leak too bad....hope this helps.

cbryan70
05-24-2008, 07:35 PM
To change the tranny fluid get a sucker and stuck out as much as you can....then refill with new tranny fluid the same amount you took out. I would check the impeller it is an easy thing on this boat. Two bolts hold it on. It is the pully closest to the drivers seat i beleive. Take the two bolts off. Get the belt off from around the pully, then look at the housing, there should be 3 screws on there, take those out and take it apart. There is a O ring in there dont lose it. Then once it is open inspect it for missing fins

SierraDump
05-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Few questions about the maintenance you suggest (and thanks for the suggestions).

1.) Where can I get the impeller locally- autoparts store or is it strictly a boat store product? And what is the part # or what do I ask for?

2.) What kind of fluid goes in my Borg-Warner direct drive? Just regular Automatic Tranny fluid? (i think they call it dexron 3 or something???)

3.) I am assuming that I just grease the rudder with any generic marine grease?

4.) About the driveline seal - is this something I can buy and replace? Or do I make it out of rope - I found the instructions for repacking and it says to cut 3 pieces of rope to a certain length? What kind of rope do I use?

Thanks again!

rholmes
05-24-2008, 09:49 PM
1. Impellar is from a specialty store. Try Skidim.com.

2. Borg Warner bulletin from 1982 specifies Dexron II in its transmissions. Someone else can chime in if III will work or is "backwards" compatible.

3. You have what they call zerks (I am pretty sure they are on yor year boat) to grease the various points. Standard grease will work there.

4. Don't know about this one. Bump for you.

Gamble
05-25-2008, 12:19 AM
go online to skidim.com as mentioned earlier......you can call them too, I'd speak with Vince....I belive is his name.....really nice guy that knows his stuff. He can tell you about the packing seal. He also has the impeller for the motor. Impeller is about 30 bucks. Holler if I can help.....mine is a 83 prostar....done almost everything you can do to that motor.

SierraDump
05-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey guys I really appreciate your advice!

I am going to order the impeller on Tuesday...

But for monday out on the lake, I think I will pull off the cover and inspect the impeller and make sure it looks safe enough for a few hours of fun.

When the impeller goes bad - does it grenade inside the housing? does it then get sucked into the motors cooling ports/paths???

Obviously it is better to replace BEFORE it breaks (for overheating purposes) but if it does break - is that costly engine work removing pieces from the passage ways???

Just trying to see if it is worth the risk taking the boat out monday for a test drive.... I can always get towed in if the temp goes over 180* (which I will watch closely).

Thanks again as always1

rholmes
05-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, it would grenade in the housing and all the little rubber parts can get distributed throughout the cooling channels. You never know with it if they will easily flush themselves out or if a piece or two might get caught somewhere.

I wouldn't risk it. Any marina with a store at it worth its salt will probably have a few impellers around. I'ld give that a shot. Or do you have an Overtons or Boater's World or West Marine close by? They all carry the correct impellers.

bigmac
05-25-2008, 09:20 AM
1. Impellar is from a specialty store. Try Skidim.com.

2. Borg Warner bulletin from 1982 specifies Dexron II in its transmissions. Someone else can chime in if III will work or is "backwards" compatible.

3. You have what they call zerks (I am pretty sure they are on yor year boat) to grease the various points. Standard grease will work there.

4. Don't know about this one. Bump for you.

I don't think it's even possible to buy Dexron II.

Succeeding brands are always backwards compatible. Current level is Dexron VI. It is backward-compatible all the way back to the original Dexron.

rholmes
05-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Good to know on the Dexron IV working backwards. That is great to hear! Learn something new everyday.

SierraDump
05-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know the exact part # for the impellar I need on an 1979 PCM motor?

I will replace the impeller, I suppose it is not worth risking.

I was able to find a West Marine about 30miles away - not too far of a drive. Hopefully they will have one and I can always pick up some other odds/ends while I am out that way as well.

So is 20-50 the best weight oil to use in the PCM motor? I am not sure if the previous owner used Synthetic or Dino oil in it... I believe it is bad to switch to Synthetic if it hasn't been used in there - I heard it can cause leaks.

Approximatley how many quarts of tranny oil will I need for the B/W Direct Drive?

Thanks again!