PDA

View Full Version : Who will you be flying this year?

tex
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Blaming extraordinary fuel prices, American Airlines (AMR) said Wednesday it plans for the first time to charge many passengers $15 on top of airfares to check one suitcase on a domestic flight.
If American follows through, many domestic passengers who check two bags this summer will pay $40 extra each way in addition to much higher airfares than last summer. American and other airlines began charging $25 to check a second bag after United Airlines (UAUA) launched that fee in February to help cover fuel prices that have soared more than 60% in a year, pushing airlines into the red

That sucks!!!! I can't imagine taking the family snow skiing and shelling out all that extra cash to get my skis and boards there. I will fly another airline or ship!

TMCNo1
05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I can always dream the wife and I could fly united!:eek::rolleyes::D

bigmac
05-22-2008, 02:23 PM
One way or the other, price parity in the airline industry will occur, higher fares, fule surcharge, pay-per-bag, whatever, we're all going to be paying a LOT more to fly, and for the same reasons we pay more to drive, more to eat, and more to have fun....they all involve using increasingly expensive fossil fuels.

Guys, welcome to the 21st century global economy. For us Americans, the free ride is over.

trickskier
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
One way or the other, price parity in the airline industry will occur, higher fares, fule surcharge, pay-per-bag, whatever, we're all going to be paying a LOT more to fly, and for the same reasons we pay more to drive, more to eat, and more to have fun....they all involve using increasingly expensive fossil fuels.

Guys, welcome to the 21st century global economy. For us Americans, the free ride is over.

Very True!!!

shepherd
05-22-2008, 03:29 PM

My objection is not so much the higher prices - that is expected - but the fact that the airlines seem to be trying to "hide" these extra charges in an attempt to make their fares look as cheap or cheaper than the competition. If it will cost me $586 to fly to Denver, don't quote me a price of $450 and then tack on $136 in surcharges that are hidden in the fine print. That is dishonest and false advertising IMO.

captain planet
05-22-2008, 03:42 PM

You're right. The Party is over.:( I figure the boat I own now will be the last boat I'll ever own. Having fun by consuming energy will become a thing of the past in 10 years, at least for those of us that are "financially challenged". Those with $1 bills on the toilet paper roll will still be skiing.

I have told my niece and nephew they are the "energy generation", because they are going to face hurdles none of us have ever seen before.

puck_11
05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
What you guys are all saying is very scary and very true....

Maristar210
05-22-2008, 04:11 PM
You're right. The Party is over.:( I figure the boat I own now will be the last boat I'll ever own. Having fun by consuming energy will become a thing of the past in 10 years, at least for those of us that are "financially challenged". Those with $1 bills on the toilet paper roll will still be skiing.

I have told my niece and nephew they are the "energy generation", because they are going to face hurdles none of us have ever seen before.

CP your avatar gives me the creeps like a buckeye jersey

captain planet
05-22-2008, 04:18 PM
CP your avatar gives me the creeps like a buckeye jersey

Although I miss my Bengals avatar..I have to say I REALLY like my new one. ;) Have you seen V for Vendetta?

stuartmcnair
05-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I will fly Ford Expedition Airlines...never a charge for more luggage as long as you can find a place to stow it...always a good movie playing...never have to wait in line at security...if I take my shoes off its cause I darn well wanted to... and I can use my cell phone while in flight...

shepherd
05-22-2008, 05:05 PM
What you guys are all saying is very scary and very true....

It won't be so bad. Most of it is sensationalistic, "the sky is falling" bs. I remember people crying when gas went over $1 a gallon and we had an "energy crisis." That was.... what, 30-something years ago???

I bet the non-Americans reading this stuff are laughing... :rolleyes: "Oh no, $4 per gallon?!?!??"

shepherd
05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Those with $1 bills on the toilet paper roll will still be skiing.

I prefer Charmin. But I think I have a few trees that they grow on... ;)

bigmac
05-23-2008, 02:15 AM
My objection is not so much the higher prices - that is expected - but the fact that the airlines seem to be trying to "hide" these extra charges in an attempt to make their fares look as cheap or cheaper than the competition. If it will cost me $586 to fly to Denver, don't quote me a price of $450 and then tack on $136 in surcharges that are hidden in the fine print. That is dishonest and false advertising IMO.

I don't think they're hiding the charges or trying to cover them up, necessarily. I often fly with just a carry-on. I think this pay-per-bag thing is actually pretty equitable.

M-Funf
05-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I have to say, the number of bags that Americans take on short trips is out of control. I was in Orlando this week for a convention. I took only one carry on bag. I talked with another couple who was staying at DW for 4 days. They each had a 28" check bag, a 22" roll-aboard, and a backpack each. FOR 4 DAYS???? My wife and I were in Italy for 10 days. We checked ONE bag, had ONE carry on and a backpack between us...

Yesterday, my flight was full (overbooked actually). My one carry-on was above my head. A woman with a 22" and a large duffle came on board late. She couldn't get either bag into the overhead, so the flight attendant took MY bag out and moved it about 10 rows BACK :mad: I asked her why she was moving my bag, and she said to make room. I politely asked her to move the other persons bag back since that was my ONLY carry-on bag...which she did. :D

I agree that the cost to fly needs to go WAY up. Right now, it's cheaper to fly (sometimes) than to drive, which is out of whack. Raise ticket prices, include all the baggage and meals, etc.

mccobmd
05-23-2008, 02:19 PM
I agree that they at least need to put a disclaimer before you book online of the approximate add on fee's. I have a family of 5 and when we fly can increase the cost by 20% or more

shepherd
05-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't think they're hiding the charges or trying to cover them up, necessarily.

Oh no? Why else would they advertise a flight as $450 when they actually charge you $586 for it?

IMO, carry-on baggage limits should be strictly enforced, at security. Then we wouldn't have people like in M-Funf's example -- people who delay the boarding of the plane while they spend 5 minutes or more trying to figure out to do with their suitcases. :mad: American Airlines' policy is just going to encourage more of that behavior.

bigmac
05-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh no? Why else would they advertise a flight as $450 when they actually charge you $586 for it?
.Why would MasterCraft advertise a boat for $48,000 when by the time you get out the dealer's door you've paid $54,000? Why, MasterCraft is as misleading as the airline industry.

M-Funf
05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
American Airlines' policy is just going to encourage more of that behavior.

Agreed. That is exactly what I witnessed yesterday :mad:

NU-skier
05-23-2008, 03:07 PM
International carriers are 'testing' bag size at the ramp again now. If it doesn't fit, they tag it and toss it below. Overstuffers and cheaters on size limits are all getting caught with the policy.

American was big on testing the bags, bet they bring that back for domestic flights too.

cbryan70
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I wish they would bring the airline industry back to what it was 15 years ago. Must dress up, pay for good service with decent food. My dad has been in the airline industry for 30 some odd years and i have been able to watch the change for the worse. I still have to dress up...not nearly as nice as 15 years ago when i fly standbye. Wish they would just bring that back.

shepherd
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I wish they would bring the airline industry back to what it was 15 years ago. Must dress up, pay for good service with decent food. My dad has been in the airline industry for 30 some odd years and i have been able to watch the change for the worse. I still have to dress up...not nearly as nice as 15 years ago when i fly standbye. Wish they would just bring that back.

I think you need to go back more than 15 years... I've never had to dress up. But, things were better (==>easier) before 9/11.

suedv
05-23-2008, 03:23 PM
I need a sherpa at the airport. :o

I carry two pieces of durable medical equipment and I jam my laptop and camera stuff in another bag. After that I have one bag with my normal luggage (I check my normal luggage).

quincyfirefighter
05-24-2008, 03:01 AM
I agree what is going on with the airline business is scary. That's what prompted me to buy our tickets for a trip for march 2009 now. Just got two first class round trip tickets from Reno NV. to Fort Lauderdale Fl. for $ 1644.00 on Delta. Best deal I could get for a E-ticket. And go figure I got over 100,00 miles that I can't use on the dates that we are traveling because of black out dates. :mad: Still think I got a screaming deal though. Will keep stacking up the miles I guess even if I can't use them right now. :rolleyes:

coz
05-25-2008, 01:06 PM
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/WORLD/europe/05/25/belgium.aircrash.ap/art.jpg

Just something to ad to the thread, don't fly 747's :confused:

Boeing 747 splits in two on take off http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/05/25/belgium.aircrash.ap/index.html