PDA

View Full Version : getting my sea legs

wakeX2wake
05-22-2008, 09:39 AM
ok this weekend i'm going to the gulf for a fishing trip for a college buddy's bachelor party weekend... i've never been deep sea fishing (unbelieveably).... i've heard more horror stories about getting sea sick and... well you know "calling the dinosaurs" for a few hrs of the trip... here's the thing... i HATE getting sick and was looking for some tips to try to avoid this happening... thanks for the help

BrianM
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
ok this weekend i'm going to the gulf for a fishing trip for a college buddy's bachelor party weekend... i've never been deep sea fishing (unbelieveably).... i've heard more horror stories about getting sea sick and... well you know "calling the dinosaurs" for a few hrs of the trip... here's the thing... i HATE getting sick and was looking for some tips to try to avoid this happening... thanks for the help

I don't get sea sick but reading in dive magazines and such they say that the ginger capsules give the best results preventing sea sickness.

Monte
05-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Dramamine (sp?) It will make you drowsy though

wakeX2wake
05-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't get sea sick but reading in dive magazines and such they say that the ginger capsules give the best results preventing sea sickness.

i've never had motion sickness so i wonder if i should even worry about it... i just don't think i can put into words how much i don't like getting sick

uawaterskier
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
a lot of it depends on the size of the boat. The bigger boats feel like they dont move as much

ShamrockIV
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
use drahmamine!!!! if u need it. i too have never been deep sea fishing but i want to and that is one of the probs with it!!

BrianM
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
If you have never been out before I say take the ginger or another motion sickness drug as a preventative. Nothing worse than having a trip ruined by being sick.

dog paw
05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
i've never had motion sickness so i wonder if i should even worry about it... i just don't think i can put into words how much i don't like getting sick

I can relate!

I don't know what it would take to get me back on the ocean LOL! We hit rough sea's on one of those big friggin cruise ships and out of all the rough treatment I have been subjected to combined it could not hold a candle to seasickness.. I guess its something you get hardened to but having a flat hallway inside the guts of a ship go 45deg under your feet sticks with ya (like the barf on your shirt8p )

Sodar
05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
This used to be the biggest problem with taking friends out on my family's boat. The best solution is dramamine taken a few hours before you wake up for the day. I can still remember my mom setting the alarm clock to wake my buddy up around 4am to take his for the day. Always worked very well.

I cannot speak about getting sea sick, as I have never been, but I do get car sick when I am in the back of my parent's suburban. It always helps me to have air blowing on my face and a little Sprite to settle my stomach.

Good Luck and I hope the fishies are bitin'...

funk
05-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I suggest heavy, heavy drinking!! You'll forget you're even on a boat!

On the serious side if there is one, I have never been sick but my parents used to always give me dramamine when I was young and it worked. I just try not to think about all the movement and enjoy the bait tank, especially squid!

djhuff
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
If you want to go without drugs, talk to the captain when you get there. Chances are he will let you ride up top with him if it get's rough. Being able to see all around you is key. Another trick is to look out the back at the horizon. The back of the boat does not move up and down as much, and the horizon doesn't move at all.

ncsone
05-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Dramamine and ginger will work great. There is also some other stuff called Bonine (I believe) that people have said works well. I think I saw it at West Marine. You can also get a prescription from a Dr. for a patch that is some really strong stuff. Landfall Navigation sells an organic liquid that works real well.

Just remember that you have to take any anti-seasickness med BEFORE you get sick. If you take it after you start to feel sick, it is too late - it won't help.

Keeping some food in your stomach seems to help people out a lot as well.

As suggested earlier, if you feel it starting get topsides quickly and keep your eye on the horizon.

LKNMC
05-22-2008, 12:43 PM
1) Take some ginger capsules or eat some ginger candy

2) keep a full stomach, as weird as it sounds it is the best thing for you

wakeX2wake
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
thanks for the tips everyone... the trip was awesome...

Funny story about this trip...

it's for a bachelor party so keep in mind... i leave here and tear out to the gulf about 6:00pm after i get off work and finish getting things done before i leave... ok so i am able to make the 5.5 hr trip on one tank of gas which i'm super pumped about btw... but i get there and i walk in the door and my buddy pitches me a beer and then he proceeds to tell me i'm not going to bed tonight... i'm thinking yea right these guys will at least go down for a couple of hours before we head out on a 8 hr fishing trip... WRONG... i'm then handed an magical elixir that kept everyone awake and going... a 1 gallon bottle of Crown Royal... which was coupled w/ the largest cooler i've ever seen filled with beer (pd for by the bride's dad who wasn't there but wanted to make sure we had a good time... what an awesome guy)... so as is customary w/ bachelor parties we got completely smashed and told ex-g/f jokes and ribbed the groom about his wife and then we all sang koom-ba-yah and went to the waffle house about 5:30 to get our pre-game breakfast on... 7 of us made it to the boat at 6:30 for our 7:00am departure w/o so much as a wink of sleep... great day fishing... i didn't get close to sick as i had dramamine as suggested here and the ginger capsules... two of the guys w/ us got sick and of the 13 people on the boat 5 didn't fish and we still caught our limit for the boat... i ended up bringing back about 11 lbs of fillets and i'm looking forward to grilling some of those this week... we caught mostly b-liners, white snapper, a few trigger fish, and a few red snapper... we didn't see a grouper and we couldn't find an amber jack big enough to keep... i'll tell you those guys are mighty feisty though... thought i'd report on the trip and thanks again for the advice

ps another trick i found out helps if you get to feeling even a little woozy or sick just focus on the horizion for a min or two

bigmac
05-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't get sea sick but reading in dive magazines and such they say that the ginger capsules give the best results preventing sea sickness.I agree, ginger root capsules are reported to work. My Surgical Fellow and I were discussing that this very morning - he related a fishing trip on Lake Michigan where they all took prophylactic Ginger Root and nobody got sick. The boat captain was amazed.

causewayskiier
05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Try Bonine, it doesn't make you as drowsy as Dramamine. There are other things that help like getting enough sleep the night before, not too much drinking, staying towards the rear of the boat and not in the cabin. Don't read or focus on any tasks too intently. But mostly try not to think about it too much, part of seasickness is physiological and the other part psychological. Avoid the person that only wants to talk about seasickness.

coz
05-27-2008, 01:33 PM
http://www.seaproducts.biz/MotionEaze/MotionEazeBoxGif1x4.gif