PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Trans. in a 84'

mastercraft1984
05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Just got a new Borg Warner for my 84' S&S. Now that i'm looking at it I think it may have been a mistake to try it myself. Just wondering if anyone knows if I I can pull this transmission without any additional support for the engine. Or if I need to get a hoist to support the engine when I pull the trans? Any advice is appreciated since this is something I have never done before.

JLeuck64
05-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I've heard it said you can lift just the rear of the Trans/Engine combo by placing bottle jacks under each exhaust manifold. Leaving the front engine mounts secure, remove the bolt/lag screws that hold the rear mounts to the stringers. You could use the bottle jacks to lift and support the trans. Then unbolt it from the engine.

Maybe some other TTer knows of some pictures to better illustrate what I speak of...

Bruce Carr
05-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I have done this once or twice. Take the lag bolts out of the rear mounts (trans mounts) leaving the two forward mounts secure. Lift the trans up a couple inches using jacks, hoist, 2X4 pry bar (etc). Put some wood blocks under the rear of the engine for support while you unbolt the trans. You will probably have to disconnnect the exhaust at the manifold. Also, when you put everything back together, make sure the muffler/thru hull fitting connection is completely engaged and tight. When the exhaust is diconnected at the engine, it is easy for the mufflers to be pulled forward and disconnect from the thru hull fittings which is just a friction fit with hose clamps to keep it tight (the hose clamps are up against the transom and buried underneath the tank;hard to see). If the mufflers are disconnected/loose, you will have 3" holes at the transom for water to rush in. This is experience talkin' here.