PDA

View Full Version : Carb Renew Problems

MSager007
05-21-2008, 06:12 PM
I have a Holley 4160 (list #80551-1) on my 89 Tristar. Last season I had a problem with the secondary units opening at idle so this winter I installed a renew kit. I contacted SkiDIM, who contacted Holley, and was told to use the 703-47 renew kit. After installing this renew kit my engine is running way too rich and the mixture screws have no effect on it. I have tried adjusting the float level and installed my old power valve, but neither had any effect. Thereís lots of black smoke out the exhaust and it wonít idle unless I open the throttle about half way. I contacted Holley about this problem and they said that I should have used the 703-1 renew kit for this carb. I have looked at some pictures of the 703-1 kit, and while it does say it is for list #80551, many of the parts in the kit look nothing like what my carb had; in particular, the needle and seat. For those of you who have used the renew kit with the 4160, which kit did you use, and do you have any suggestions on what I should try next?

rholmes
05-21-2008, 07:30 PM
I used the 703-47 for my recent rebuild. Is the pump discharge needle/screw set correctly?

If i remember correctly, I thought the difference as it was explained to me was the difference between the needles and jets (come in different sizes with the various kits).

Anyone else?

viabill
05-22-2008, 02:28 PM
One thing that will cause that symptom is if you forget to put the small gasket in place between the primary metering block and the carb main body. It is located about in the center of the metering block and connects a vacuum source to the power valve (I believe) so if it's missing it will pull fuel directly into the manifold.

MSager007
05-22-2008, 10:02 PM
One thing that will cause that symptom is if you forget to put the small gasket in place between the primary metering block and the carb main body. It is located about in the center of the metering block and connects a vacuum source to the power valve (I believe) so if it's missing it will pull fuel directly into the manifold.

I'm not quite sure which gasket you're talking about, but you might be on to something. I don't remember any gasket between the primary metering block and the main body other than the primary metering gasket. Any chance you can point out the gasket you're talking about on this diagram? The only one I see is the balance tube o-ring but it doesn't quite sound like the one you're talking about.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/4150-4160%20Exploded%20View.pdf

JLeuck64
05-22-2008, 10:13 PM
I believe viabill is talking about the power valve gasket(s). Those would be part #'s 122 and 148.

MSager007
05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I thought he was referring to a different gasket since he said "small gasket". I definitely have the one on the power valve. There are two styles of power valve gaskets. The fully round style and the style like the one in the diagram. I used the fully round one which I believe is the correct one. Maybe Iíll double check that itís right.

slushpup
05-23-2008, 06:44 PM
703-47 is the kit I use. never had a problem