PDA

View Full Version : Applying Rubrail

drbesvold1
05-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Whats The Easist Way To Put Back On Rub Rail Without Taking Off The Track?

TMCNo1
05-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Put plastic rubrail in a big pot/tub of boiling water to soften it up, start in the center of the transom and using a plastic/nylon tool like this, slide in the lower lip as you insert the upper lip in the aluminum track. Go completely around the boat quickly before it cools or use a rubber hammer to drive it in. I made this tool after getting a piece of plastic @ MC and the assembly line worker instructed me on how to make it and use it.

drbesvold1
05-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Ok Thanks Harold Ill Try That Tommrow

bigmac
05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeh, getting that sucker in can be a problem and Harold's advice is good. Only problem I have is...what kind of pot of boiling water are we talking about here? I mean...those rub rail sections come in 10 foot lengths (IIRC) and they are pretty stiff. I'm trying to envision folding one of those sections into my chili pot and I just don't think that's going to happen. I think we're talking more along the lines of a cauldron here.

I've done this rub rail thing a couple of times. I'm sure having the stuff soft would help, but it's doable without the boiling water. I can see how that plastic tool would be helpful, and I certainly do agree that a rubber mallet is a key component of the installation process.

vogelm1
05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
How about a heat gun set on a low setting and working a section at a time.:confused:

bigmac
05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
How about a heat gun set on a low setting and working a section at a time.:confused:Takes two people. It's hard to manipulate a long section of poly that's precurved while inserting it and running a heat gun.

TMCNo1
05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeh, getting that sucker in can be a problem and Harold's advice is good. Only problem I have is...what kind of pot of boiling water are we talking about here? I mean...those rub rail sections come in 10 foot lengths (IIRC) and they are pretty stiff. I'm trying to envision folding one of those sections into my chili pot and I just don't think that's going to happen. I think we're talking more along the lines of a cauldron here.

I've done this rub rail thing a couple of times. I'm sure having the stuff soft would help, but it's doable without the boiling water. I can see how that plastic tool would be helpful, and I certainly do agree that a rubber mallet is a key component of the installation process.

I've got a replacement rub rail in the box, that came from MC that is one piece 52' long and the one on my boat is one piece and would actually require a wash tub or even put it in the washing machine and fill with hot water setting!
Conveniently our washing machine is right behind the boat!

damaged442
05-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Where are you guys getting the rubrail and how much? Mine's pretty jacked up and I'd like to get some new stuff in there. Thanks in advance!

bigmac
05-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Where are you guys getting the rubrail and how much? Mine's pretty jacked up and I'd like to get some new stuff in there. Thanks in advance!Dealer. It's pretty cheap.

robin
05-21-2008, 12:30 AM
replaced my rubrail last year....definite 2 person job. one used a hair dryer on it to soften it and the other to push it in....hair dryer worked good and it took about an hour w/ 2 people....bought the 50 some feet role from my mastercraft dealer...think it was 30 to $40 or so

JohnnyB
05-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Put plastic rubrail in a big pot/tub of boiling water to soften it up, start in the center of the transom and using a plastic/nylon tool like this, slide in the lower lip as you insert the upper lip in the aluminum track. Go completely around the boat quickly before it cools or use a rubber hammer to drive it in. I made this tool after getting a piece of plastic @ MC and the assembly line worker instructed me on how to make it and use it.

So, is the "business end" of your home made tool the part in the upper left of the picture or the lower right? Can you explain in a little more detail how you install the rubrail with this tool....I'm not quite following you.

TMCNo1
05-22-2008, 09:43 PM
So, is the "business end" of your home made tool the part in the upper left of the picture or the lower right? Can you explain in a little more detail how you install the rubrail with this tool....I'm not quite following you.

You hold the thick end and the thin end slides between the alum. rail and the lower or upper flap ( which ever you chose to do) of the plastic rub rail insert and it slides it in as you insert the other side and slide the tool against the insert along the rail. It takes the two assembly line workers at the factory about 4 minutes to install the insert on a PS190, one person unrolls and positions the hot water heated insert and the other guy slips the insert in with the tool. IIRC, the tool last about 6 weeks before they have to make a new one from a piece of scrap.

cbryan70
05-22-2008, 09:47 PM
i like the bay area water sports thing in your garage

JLeuck64
05-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh, good for a second I thought you said the assembly line worker slips it in with HIS tool!

(That was bad, shame on me for thinking that!)

TMCNo1
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
i like the bay area water sports thing in your garage

Thanks, it's been there since Jim gave it to me on a visit to L-O-L in 2004 after going to Disney World.:D

shepherd
05-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Where are you guys getting the rubrail and how much? Mine's pretty jacked up and I'd like to get some new stuff in there. Thanks in advance!

I didn't have a local dealer, so I had a local boat parts store order one from this supplier: http://www.tacomarine.com/cat--Rub-Rail--rubrail.html

As for installation, the heat gun method worked fine for me. I just blew it on a 2' to 3' section of the rubrail as I went along, pushed it into the rail, heated up another 2' to 3' section, inserted it, etc.... I used a flat blade screwdriver to push it into the slot. Did it by myself, easy, no problem, didn't need a helper. (I had a hot tub I could have put the rail in as suggested, but it wasn't necessary since the heat gun worked fine).

wsrobert
05-30-2008, 01:20 PM
I did mine this past winter. I had my boat completely re-painted. I bought a complete kit from West Marine. It had 75' of endless rail and insert. Cost about $150, but it came with everything (screws, caps, etc...).
Wasn't that hard to install. I filled the bath tub up with hot water and let the rail and insert soak and get soft for about an hour. Then I grabbed the rail and begin screwing it in. I started in the back and had someone else pull it tight and screwed it about every 4-6 feet. Then came back with screw every 3-4 inches. The insert was tedious but not hard b/c it was still warm and soft. Took us about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

O_D_Y_S_S_E_Y
05-30-2008, 01:30 PM

I found this the other day.... I dont know if it would fit but heres the link....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rub-Rail-for-Mastercraft-Prostar-190-91yr-model_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50443QQihZ001QQit emZ110257077777QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW