PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Cutout on '93

TCrate
04-09-2005, 10:56 PM
I have a '93 190 with the 285 Ford HO motor. Took it to Florida for a week a few weeks ago and skied it today. One day in Florida I had an intermittent problem where the boat would shut down like someone turned off the power switch. Happened once during a ski and then a few times while idling around. Only happened one day. Skied at home today and it happened three or four times. Mostly while turning and at speed. I checked to make sure the kill switch was connected. I have a depth finder that beeps when it is energized. It beeps everytime this happens. Any thoughts? :worthy:

erkoehler
04-10-2005, 01:42 AM
Are all your battery connections tightened up? Sorry I can't provide more help, but this board should liven up alittle in the morning! ;)

Psheehy
04-10-2005, 06:39 PM
The fact that your depth finder beeped each time says something. The depth finder would be on its own aux. circuit compared to the engine, so I would think you have a loose connection at the battery, or the key switch, or the key switch could be going bad.

JimN
04-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Make sure your lanyard hasn't deformed over time to the point that it doesn't press the kill switch enough when you hit waves and wake. Wrap some tape around the tip and see if this cures the problem. If it does, get a new lanyard.

east tx skier
04-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Just for grins, the next time you're out, turn on the radio or something else that won't function without the battery. Take it into a turn or whatever happens to make it die like this. If the radio cuts out, too, it's electrical. If not, the kill switch could be the culprit.

lakes Rick
04-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Just for grins, the next time you're out, turn on the radio or something else that won't function without the battery. Take it into a turn or whatever happens to make it die like this. If the radio cuts out, too, it's electrical. If not, the kill switch could be the culprit.

Interesting way to diagnose this East tx... I will remember this one...

G-man
04-11-2005, 11:29 AM
I think the kill switch also. When mine went out the sun heated up the plastic clip and it just quit. We put cardboard from a juice box drink in between the clip and the button and that got us going again. If the kids weren't young at the time we wouldn't have the proper tool to fix this.

east tx skier
04-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Nice engineering, George.

I don't have a depth sounder, but what do you guys think is causing it to "alarm"? That was the only reason I was thinking battery connection instead of safety lanyard. Even with the safety lanyard pulled, you'll still have your battery (it will still crank).

G-man
04-11-2005, 02:20 PM
You can thank my daughter for the engineering. Depth finders have adjustable depth alarms, even one for deep water alarm if your afraid of going in deep water. If you want to mess with your friends change it to fathoms instead of feet. I have no idea why a sharp turn would set off an alarm unless enough air bubbles got under the transducer to set off the shallow alarm.

east tx skier
04-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Ah, maybe the little puck for the depth finder is in a weird location and in a hard turn, that part of the boat is getting up off the water a bit. Or maybe it's just lose. I got nuthin'.

jimmer2880
04-12-2005, 06:33 AM
My depth finder will beep when the ignition switch is switched from off to on. Same thing goes if the ignition is on, but the battery is disconnected, then re-connected.

I suspect a bad ground or some kind of battery connection. Could also be the ignition switch.

TCrate
04-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the input. I am going to double check the battery connections. Go to the kill switch and look at the ignition switch. When the key is turned on normally the depth finder will beep. This is normal. We tried pulling the lanyard off and quickly putting it back on and the depth finder did not beep. We killed the motor that way and had to turn the key to start again. This was of no use. I idled the boat in the lift at the dock(in the water of course) for probably 15 minutes. Of course it did not cut out. Thanks, for the input.

tah
07-11-2005, 07:55 PM
just had same issue..kill switch flakey..getting new one..has caused starting problems, and recently began cutting out on bumps or even at speradic times...anyone know where to get a MC switch online?...or will generic do?