PDA

View Full Version : Great News!! Now what do I do?

mrprostar
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
My wife and I just found out we are going to have a baby. It was planned so it is really really exciting. Now that my work is done I'm not really sure what to expect over the next few months. I'm not sure how I can help my wife through all of this and then really don't know what to do the first couple months. I know I will figure it out and it will be fine but I also know there are a lot of Dads on here that might be able to illiminate some of the pit falls of the first-time Dad. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

trickskier
05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Congratulations!!! Children are truly God's gift to us..........:D
My advice is to be there and support her in anyway you can.............It's a wonderful experience!!!

TMCNo1
05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Turn the boat into a baby crib!

#47of100TeamMC
05-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Congrats!

My wife and I are about 29weeks along. Due August 6th. From what I've experienced, you don't have to worry about not knowing what to do... she will tell you exactly when to rub her back, when to get her a glass of water, when to stay home with her instead of going out with your friends...etc.

In all seriousness, It's a fun journey that gets better as time progresses.The end of the 1st trimester is a relief for both you and her. As I'm sure you have been told that is when she will most likely feel the worst. But the later stages of pregnancy trade in the nausea for back pain and more frequent urinatioin. The 20week ultrasound is a fun milestone. Oh and how can i forget the birth classes. I've learned we really take breathing for granted!

peason
05-20-2008, 12:02 PM
If your wife is anything like mine, she wants to know exactly what to expect for every appointment and week. I would get her the book "What to expect when you are Expecting' - or a very similar name to this. This book breaks down each trimester and gives great explinations on what is going on.
I guess patience and understanding are two of the most important things you can do for now. Enjoy and congrats!

wakeX2wake
05-20-2008, 12:06 PM
one of my best friends had a girl about 5 months ago... just gave his wife whatever she wanted for about 11 months... she was a trooper though and never got too crazy... keep the wife happy and learn a lot as you go... you'll probably know about as much about your first child as you did your first MC... that was his comparison... he laughed and said he's learned more in the past 14 months than he learned in 4.5 years of school or 1.5 yrs of selling real-estate

Ms Raley yesterday before we went to the water

funk
05-20-2008, 12:33 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child this Friday, May 23. She's hanging in there. A true product of Labor Day at Havasu Springs, should come very close to Memorial Day. I'm anxious as all right now with the due date fastly approaching. We also didn't find out the sex so that's adding to the fire. Books are good. It's good to be able to relax the mom with why they are feeling the way they do by week due to developement, etc. Gives hope and makes them look on the bright side even though they may be miserable. I'm lucky though, last weekend it was almost 100 here in socal and I'm sure that would weigh on her hard if she had to go through the summer. Don't know if I was any help but as you may guess, I'm running on all cylinders right now waiting for the phone to ring!!

Good luck..

BradD
05-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Congrats. We have 5 kids, but I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert. What did make my wife happy was foot rubs, back rubs, and air conditioning.

mrprostar
05-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Thank you everybody for the advice. "What to Expect When Your Expecting" doesnt leave her hand except to run to bathroom. She bought me four other books about being a Dad and fifteen others for herself. I still say there is no substitute for experience, though. God creates us all with some parenting instincts.

damaged442
05-20-2008, 02:20 PM
I have two kids, a girl who just turned 4 and a boy, 19 months. My wife's pregnancies were different for both. She was really sick for the first up until 28 weeks. Not much you can do to make her happy there!! With the second, she was sick up until 20 weeks, but it was due to different things. Food she used to love...not anymore!! That part of it makes it difficult. You want to be supportive, of course, but there really isn't much you can do. Just tell her how much you love her and how beautiful she is. It's going to be one heck of a ride. You will be shocked how fast the time will go by.
Granted, everyone has their own opinions about how they want to do things when they find out they are going to be parents. For example, finding out the sex of the baby. Some people want the surprise. My wife told me she was pregnant, and I decided that was MORE THAN ENOUGH surprise for me. :D I wanted to know the sex asap. I thought it helped me to plan ahead with room painting, reorganization, planning, etc. There are many trials and tribulations you will soon face. Don't sweat it. You will hear about them...often. Some ideas on how to deal with them are great, others not. You will find out what works best for you. I found out that I can function successfully on two hours of sleep a night for a year. One thing is certain, your life will change, you might not think it will always be for the better, but you won't change it for the world. I wish you the best of luck dad-to-be. Don't worry about it. You'll do fine.

jenglin
05-20-2008, 02:20 PM
My wife and I have a 17 month old and one due in July. I quickly learned how to "roll with the punches" when learning how to be a parent. When I play with my son it is so hard to image life without them and what we did with all of our free time. They are truely a gift from God and are so precious. As I'm sure a lot of people have told you to get as much sleep as possible now, they are not joking! Sleep every chance you get! Just as my wife and I started to enjoy our sleep she got pregant again and the tossing and turning and snoring started all over again. Like our first one, my wife was sick from day one till the day she had our son. Some women are only sick for the first trimest, some aren't sick at all, and there are those (my wife) that are sick all nine months. Hope this didn't scare you, but Congratulations and Good Luck!

Jesus_Freak
05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
My wife and I just found out we are going to have a baby. It was planned so it is really really exciting. Now that my work is done I'm not really sure what to expect over the next few months. I'm not sure how I can help my wife through all of this and then really don't know what to do the first couple months. I know I will figure it out and it will be fine but I also know there are a lot of Dads on here that might be able to illiminate some of the pit falls of the first-time Dad. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations bro!

Knox's_Better_half
05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Ok, so you were not really asking for a moms opinion, but here goes. The hubby and I have 4 kids. together we have 3 and I can tell you this. You will read all of the books and you rminds will race with all the questions and what if scenarios, but each day will bring something new. Relax, enjoy, listen...not just to her, but each of you to each other. Realize that if she is in pain, you can try to ease the pain, but you can not fix her! Congratulations to you both...children are truly Gods greatest blessing! Our blessings are 11, 9, 7 and 7 months...2 girls and 2 boys.

stuartmcnair
05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Congratulations!!!

First thing you should do is change your direct deposit to Babies 'R Us.

Jorski
05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
You don't have to do anything but relax and enjoy the experience. Honestly, the most fun I have is playing with my kids, and watching them play sports, or try new things and so on.

It'll be cool, just make sure that you don't worry too much...it's been done for thousands of years. Nothing a little thought and common sense can't take care of!

H20BOY
05-20-2008, 11:57 PM
My wife is 7 1/2 months pregnant, and I have to say she has been wonderful. My advice so far would be enjoy the time it is just the two of you and do what ever she wants to do. Take care of her when she is sick and show her she is #1.