PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump burn out

sizzler
05-19-2008, 10:53 AM
chaps...gonna thow this in .......

long story short....ex-wife borrowed the boat to take the kids out over the weekend and the fuel pump burned out...now this will be my 3rd fuel pump due to burn out and the price over here is about 370($750)...its becoming expensive.......this is not un-common(2 other fellow m/c rs on my lake have burnt theirs out in the last 3 weeks)

has anyone ever by-passed the in-tank pump and put an external in-line pump in their boats....???

awaiting response......

Cap'n Walsh
05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Mine is one of the boats that this has happened too, apparently it's common if you run the fuel tank below 1/4. My boat is a month old X14 and has never had less than 1/4 tank and I've had one new one.

One of the other M/Cs on our lake (a Prostar) had the same and the guy has blanked the tank and fitted an external pump as Sizzler has suggested, what would the pump model be, anybody know a supplier as I won't be putting an M/C one back the next time it goes, forget the warranty...it's the hassle.

wiltok
05-19-2008, 11:41 PM
I've been through 2 pumps. I do not run under 1/2 tank anymore - haven't had a problem. Knock on wood....

sizzler
05-20-2008, 03:34 AM
bump:o:o:o

bigmac
05-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Somewhere along the line, I was under the impression you'd converted to propane?

MasterCraft's in-tank fuel pumps are definitely problematic. They only filter the last 1/2 - 1/4 tank of fuel, depending on where the baffle is set. That means any crud in the tank clogs the filter when below that level. Filter clogs = no fuel flow to cool the pump/impeller and it burns out = new fuel pump. My pump went the first time I let it get to 1/4 tank, at about 4 hours on the tach. Reportedly, there were a lot of plastic shavings in it from the install. I've been diligent about fueling before it once it gets to 1/2 tank and no problem since. Sucks that my 60 gallon tank really only represents 30 usable gallons.

My guess would be that you have an unusual amount of debris in your fuel tank settled toward the bottom. With your next fuel pump change, I'd focus on cleaning the fuel tank.

There is a way to just replace the pump in the canister, from what I read. The pump itself is made by Carter and a search here will reveal the part number, somewhere do a search on "Carter" . I don't know if that replacement is feasible for you, but it sounds like it works according to other posters here. Not MC-sanctioned, I'm sure. I know a lot of MasterCraft owners that keep and extra $450 fuel pump in their garage. On our lake three of us chipped in to keep a spare around.

sizzler
05-20-2008, 01:02 PM
big mac....cheers....i have dual fuel.....i have propane and petrol.....it idles on petrol and flicks over to propane at about 1100 revs.....

Ric
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Somewhere along the line, I was under the impression you'd converted to propane?

I thought the same

Ric
05-20-2008, 02:19 PM
big mac....cheers....i have dual fuel.....i have propane and petrol.....it idles on petrol and flicks over to propane at about 1100 revs.....
The real question is... you loaned your boat to your ex wife?..... WHAT were you thinking?

sizzler
05-21-2008, 07:00 AM
she used the kids as leverage,..........very nasty,.....

sizzler
05-27-2008, 12:44 PM
fitted a new fuel pump on the weekend..ran like a dream..........

note to self.........dont let ex-wife use it again....

MYMC,jim@baws......how much is a new fuel pump for my 2004 X9 with the MCX engine please.....??

rgds

redx10
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I have an 04' X10 and this weekend it would start,get up on plane and die?? I thought it might be the kill switch but I bypassed it and it kept doing the same thing. Now it won't even start at all. Does this sound like a fuel pump problem?

bigmac
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I have an 04' X10 and this weekend it would start,get up on plane and die?? I thought it might be the kill switch but I bypassed it and it kept doing the same thing. Now it won't even start at all. Does this sound like a fuel pump problem?Yup.

If you want to check it, get a fuel pressure tester with a Schrader valve adapter - check the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, but I'd start pricing fuel pump assemblies.

I assume that you've listened at key-on for the fuel pump to actually spin up...? Not a circuit breaker or something keeping the fuel pump from working...?

dmayer84
05-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Sounds like the the filter might could be clogged. As far as I know the fuel will bypass the filter until it reaches a certain level at which point everything is filtered.

redx10
05-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Where is the filter? ,inside the tank? I've heard the pump should put out 58lbs?

redx10
05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
also, it's the MCX350 engine

dmayer84
05-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Where is the filter? ,inside the tank? I've heard the pump should put out 58lbs?

Filter is at the bottom of the pump.

bigmac
05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Filter is at the bottom of the pump.

The pump and impeller are cooled by the fuel that is pumped by the pump. The fuel filter being clogged = pump overheat = new pump.

sizzler
05-28-2008, 03:03 AM
mine burnt out due to low level of fuel.......at 'key-on' stage it was still 'whirring' but not getting enough pressure to pump the fuel....i tested the schraeder valve at the fuel rail and nothing was coming out..
it effectively means that you have only 75% of capacity of your fuel tank ....:confused:

dmayer84
05-28-2008, 07:32 AM
mine burnt out due to low level of fuel.......at 'key-on' stage it was still 'whirring' but not getting enough pressure to pump the fuel....i tested the schraeder valve at the fuel rail and nothing was coming out..
it effectively means that you have only 75% of capacity of your fuel tank ....:confused:

Oh I learned about the 75% the hard way, first day out stuck in the middle of lake champlain = not fun.

redx10
05-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I think I may have found my problem (redx10), there was a loose fitting and corroded wire clip directly on top of the fuel pump, i cleaned it up and tightened the connection and it fires up every time (in the driveway) now. I'm headed to the lake for a rough water test run now...I was sooo close to buying a new fuel pump.

jrhollow
05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Great news! That saved you over 400 bones