PDA

View Full Version : Making progress on the new stringers

Bellinghamster
05-19-2008, 01:23 AM
I got two solid days of work in on the boat - unseasonably hot weather made for quick cure times on each step of the way. I'm sure glad I got the bulk of the grinding done when it was cool!

New stringers got glass wrapped prior to installation, then set in swiss glass (thickened resin) to bed them to the hull. The tops are all parallel and in plane within 1/16 inch. The original stringers weren't centered and the pylon upper support must have been "made to fit", since the center of the hole is about 3/4 inch off center of the bracket. I made a new bottom support for the pylon that will share the thru-bolts with the forward skeg rather than the stock glassed-in lower support. Engine mounts and pylon support will all be thru-bolted rather than lags.

Next step the overlay glass to hull with 17oz biaxial, doubled up in the center 6ft. It's gonna be tricky working around all the limber holes (drain holes), but (hopefully) worth the trouble in the long run.

Gotta get it done... gotta get it done... gotta get it done. I want to ski!

SunCoast 83
05-19-2008, 01:32 AM
wow what a project, looks solid. what year?

chico
05-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Good job,looks great

Bellinghamster
05-19-2008, 10:26 AM
wow what a project, looks solid. what year?

1978. I bought it about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully I'll eventually complete a full restoration, but right now summer is just around the corner so paint and polish will have to wait until next winter.

Bellinghamster
06-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Spent the weekend glassing in the stringers, then tonight doubled up where the engine mounts go. Hopefully will gelcoat it all tomorrow and start fitting the new floor later this week. I've got a goal of skiing by the end of June. A bit ambitious, but I think I can make it.

I ended up wrapping the bottom half with 1.5oz CSM prior to installing, then wrapping the top with the same half just prior to laying the 9 inch "L" of biaxial on each side. This made it a lot easier to do than my original plan of wrapping completely with 1.5oz prior to installation, then overlaying the entire thing with the biaxial... there's just too much sticky at one time to be able to do a decent job. I'm definitly learning - each layup gets progressivly cleaner and easier. I've gone thru a whole box of 100 latex gloves!

GuitsBoy
06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Wow, looks great. Cant wait to see the gelcoat process. Thanks for documenting the steps with pics.

Bruce Carr
06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Great Job!

While your at it, see if you can open up the bow area for storage like the later model (circa 81 and newer) S&S boat have. You will appreciate the extra storage.

Bruce

87MCProstar
06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
wow, thats awesome you have the time and definately the skill for this project!

Bellinghamster
06-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Yay! All the grinding is done! The last section was to level and prep where the floor glasses to the hull. I can't wait to hose everything out with water and be done with the ichies!

I decided to add some additional floor supports for the rear hatch, so had to notch those into the top of the stringers and glass wrap them prior to gelcoat. Saturday I applied the gelcoat to the stringers and hull, with only one (major?) mishap. I must have been breathing too many fumes, as when I mixed up the last batch of gelcoat I was focused on getting the coloring right (it was a smaller batch, so had to adjust the amount of blue and black color additives), and in the excitement of it looking so good and being nearly done, must have forgotten to add the catalyist... I brushed it on, then took a break for lunch. Went out after lunch to show my wife the progress and found the last section I did was still sticky... hmm that ain't right. Oh, no. I couldn't have. I must have! Arrrg. 2/3 a gallon of acetone, a roll of paper towels and over an hour later I was back to where I'd been a few hours before. Removing uncured gelcoat has got to be right up there with grinding fiberglass on my list of things I don't like. Ah well, my wife got some satisfaction from my screw-up and pointed out it's good to see that I'm not perfect (either).:o

I got the (this time) catalized gelcoat re-applied, then glassed the bottom of all the floor sections, so it's now ready for final assembly! Top side of the floor will get glassed over in-place. I sure hope I got all the cutouts in the right place!

WTRSK1R
06-08-2008, 10:01 AM
That is just amazing to see the progress. I am way impressed.

Keep up the photo updates.

Steve

barefoot
06-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Wow!

Awesome pictures! Great detailed explanations! You'll certainly be very proud of the boat when you're finished! Keep the progress coming!

Bellinghamster
06-14-2008, 12:23 AM
So my wife "volunteered" the boat (and me/driver) for a ski party for our church youth group in 2 weeks... thankfully, therefore, there has been little resistance lately when I've asked if it was OK to work on the boat AGAIN this evening or weekend.

The glaswork is DONE! Gelcoat went on the floor this evening, fuel tank supports are built, glassed and gelcoated, too. The only gelcoating left is one side of the aft hatch.

I bought the carpet today, and should be able to get the engine and fuel tank in this weekend, plus carpet and seats... and that's pretty much it. I think it should be on the water within a week!

Bellinghamster
06-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Some more pictures. I fab'd up some muffler supports to keep 'em from flopping and rattling around.

uawaterskier
06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
wow dude impressive

flipper
06-14-2008, 01:21 AM
It's been said over and over but it's all I can say.....WOW!!!! Great job, I'm impressed. Thanks for all the updates. This is a neat one to watch.

T-Rager
06-14-2008, 02:33 AM
My hat is definitely off to you. You've accomplished a huge amount of work in a short amount of time. Nice going.

2RLAKE
06-14-2008, 08:13 AM
fantastic job ... reminds me of how my dad rebuilt a '28 chevy years ago .. piece by piece ... you might even give Harold a run for best boat!

Bellinghamster
06-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the kind words! It's driving my wife nuts that I can't just put it all together quickly and get it done... but I just can't bring myself to put rusty metal bits back in, so I spend the time to wirewheel and paint them. With two young kids, I see her point, but it's looking so nice thus far, I just can't shortcut. The tranny and engine are all cleaned up and painted including the flywheel and damper plate. The engine mounts are cleaned up, painted and well lubed so they'll be easy to adjust. Getting the mounts in the right location to drill the holes was a bit nerve wracking since the shaft log (fiberglass tube where the shaft goes thru the hull) wasn't quite in the center of the boat, causing the whole engine to end up shoved to the port side in order to align the shaft. I ended up pulling the strut off and shimming it a bit which got things in reasonable center-ness. Put the engine in... marked the mounting hole locations, pulled the engine back out to drill 'em. While it was out I installed the new carpet, then put the engine back in and bolted it all down. I'm glad that's finished, and that I'm starting to "get my shop back" as all the stuff goes back into the boat! The end is near... Should be running by next weekend.

87MCProstar
06-16-2008, 07:09 AM
that looks great

kjohnson
06-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Impressive. Very skilled with tools etc...

rhsprostar
06-16-2008, 08:01 AM
To be able to do that in the first place.......!!!!!
In the amount of time you have done it???!!!!
Sure you weren't a boat builder in a different life?
Absolutely fantastic.

Bellinghamster
06-16-2008, 10:56 AM
It's been quite a project, mosly made challenging 'cause I'm also trying my best to be a good dad, husband and employee at the same time as getting the boat on the water... I didn't keep track of the hours, but estimate 3 full weekends (~10hr days) and another 6 or so after work sessions of 3-5 hours each. I also should have kept better track of costs, but all the materials to do the stringers and floor; roughly $40 for fir planks, $150 in resin and gelcoat, $80 in plywood, $100 in glass (I already had a roll of choped strand, so add in another $50 if you don't), probably another $75 in misc. supplies and $80 for carpet and glue. That doesn't count the new plumbing, exhaust hose and bits for the engine, but that was really a seperate project that just happened to be done at the same time.

flipper
06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Lookin' good. You're really going to have something to be proud of when you're done.

ShamrockIV
06-16-2008, 11:04 AM
man that is one awesome job that u are doing!!!!

keep up the good work!!!

Slinkyredfoot
06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Absolute fantastic job.........:cool:

Bellinghamster
06-22-2008, 01:42 AM
I finished up the exhaust, mounted the fuel tank and ran fuel line, mounted the hinges for the engine box and installed the seats today and got it running. The exhaust took longer than it should have since it didn't quite fit between the stringers and the cutout in the floor. I had to pull up some carpet, cut out a bit more floor and re-glass the edge, then gelcoat. Fired it up and after running on the hose for half an hour and everything with everything perfect I shut it down and took a break for lunch. A friend came over and I wanted to show him how nice it ran, but it wouldn't coperate - seemed to be missing but not on any particular cylinder consistantly. Eventually I figured it out that it was running much too rich - sooty oily slick on the water coming out the exhaust and rich exhaust smell, plus turning in the idle jets all the way wouldn't cause it to lean misfire. Exhaust water was perfectly clean on the previous run. I figured the carb float was stuck so hauled off the carb, disassembled and resassembled and put it back on. Much better! Had some dinner and proposed to the family we go for a boat ride.

It was a scramble to pack up, and grabbed ski just in case, plus a tube for the kids and we headed for the lake. We had a great 45 minutes on the water before the sun went down. Despite cold water and not warm air, I had a great ski, and talked the kids into a ride on the tube. Sucess! They liked it, I liked it, my wife like it! I love owning a (running and solid) Mastercraft!

Still lots of project to do for a complete restoration - rub out the entire boat and find the correct "Master Craft" font in new decals, blast and paint the trailer, fix the broken fenders, glue on carpet on the aft hatch... but it's working and certainly usable for the summer. Whoo Hoo!

thijs
06-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Wow dude, Holy $h!t

bigmac
06-22-2008, 07:40 AM
That is one of the most amazing and inspiring threads I've ever read here.

Very nice.

ttu
06-22-2008, 07:47 AM
great job. love the old one's.

i saw a 81 for sale sitting along the highway yesterday on the way to the lake. needs a new windshield and some tlc. floors felt solid except on spot.

called owner to see what he wanted for it. $3750 but would be motivated by cash$$$. he said boat runs great with a new transmission.

87MCProstar
06-22-2008, 10:44 AM
i'm jealous wish i had your skill and patience!

dog paw
06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
i'm jealous wish i had your skill and patience!

Ditto that!!

Thats "hero work" for sure! (thats a term that get thrown out occasionally in our shop when someone pulls off doing a job first rate)

Hopefully my 84 will never see that stage but its really good to know your out there! ;)

Awesome job!