PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions -- engine shuts down under load

drucrew
05-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I have an 82 Stars and Stripes with a 351 Windsor and am having a weird thing going on -- boat purrs like a kitten until under load -- have rebuilt carb, have replaced fuel lines, water seperator, cleaned tnak and everything except replace the fuel pump -- doesn't make any difference on rpm -- it just quits like it is running out of fuel -- at 1500 rpm it takes about 5 minutes before it quits and at 3500 rpm it takes 1 - 2 minutes -- any suggestions?? Thanks

SunCoast 83
05-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Maybe the fuel pump??....having the same issues with my friend's 1985 Ski Nautique, but we thinks its a carb issue on his.

rholmes
05-19-2008, 08:33 AM
If it runs then bogs down, that almost sounds like it can be vapor lock. I know that "winter" and early spring fuel blends tend to vaporize at lower temperatures. It could also be that the engine is too hot for the fuel, and that is why it does it quicker at higher rpm because the engine heat soaks quicker at higher rpms.

Another possibility could be that the gas tank isn't venting properly and allowing air in. Try unscrewing the gas cap halfway to let the pressure equalize. It could potentially be something stuck against the screen in the fuel pump partially blocking fuel flow, like trying to put out a fire with a water hose, just not enough flow going to keep up.

bigmac
05-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Bogging while bogging under load/higher RPM sounds like bad fuel flow.

I doubt vapor lock, but I like the possibility of a blocked or otherwise kinked air fuel tank vent. If not, I'd be focusing on the fuel filter and or fuel pump.

drucrew
05-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys -- I am going to check out the fuel pump screen and the vent and line tonight -- will let you know -- sure appreciate the feedback

Gamble
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
hey for what it's worth...... I have an 83 with the 351, and my fuel pump took the big one.......did the same thing as you're describing. Went to auto parts and picked up another one, problem fixed.

drucrew
05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
That is what I am afraid of

gigem75
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
do the automotive fuel pumps have the overflow out that goes to the carb so if the diaphram fails the fuel goes to the carb and not the bildge? It's my understanding that is what makes a marine fuel pump different from an automotive application.

93Prostar190
05-19-2008, 02:32 PM
fuel pump is my vote .... I would also recommend the marine one from somewhere like skidim.com or equiv. Good luck!

drucrew
05-19-2008, 02:35 PM
definately going to get a fuel pump and see what happens -- the wife just gave me a real hard time about being too hard headed to replace it -- didn't know about skidim.com --thanks for the info

drucrew
05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
definately going to get a fuel pump and see what happens -- the wife just gave me a real hard time about being too hard headed to replace it -- didn't know about skidim.com --thanks for the info

Gamble
05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Yep, the pump I replaced did have the nipple to attach the overflow tube. Most parts are obtainable from an auto parts store, and are a lot cheaper......but carbs, starters aren't. I've had great luck with aftermarket parts-mallory ignition, solenoids, etc. Fuel pump r/r wasn't too bad. Holler if I can help. Good luck.

Todd Alberta Canada
08-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree, had the same problem with my 85

Willski
08-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Was it the fuel pump drucrew?? Easy replacement and not that expensive actually. I replaced mine a few years ago, but later found out it was not the culprit. I did one of those things where I replaced to many things, and never did figure out what the problem was, but it was fixed!