PDA

View Full Version : Starter keeps turning over

amber 6
05-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Help please tried to start the boat but once the key was returned from start position the starter continued to try to engage the only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery.

ricky
05-17-2008, 08:15 PM
sounds like the switch is sticking.try spraying a little wd40 in the key switch.or replacing it.or try cranking it when it keeps spinning tap on the starter with hammer if it stops then the abeendix(spelled wrong) is bad.this is the small round thing mounted on the top of the starter.the thing the little wires are hooked to on starter.

ryfly161
05-17-2008, 10:18 PM
i had the same exact problem last year and it was the starter solinoid. Also when it happened it burnt the contacts in the switch so check the resistance of your switch.

mrprostar
05-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Check for bare wires around the selonoid first that could be getting crossed. Next change the selonoid. They are cheap...then go to to the switch. Those first two are easy and cheap.

93Prostar190
05-17-2008, 10:56 PM
my bet is the solenoid.

Chaser_rct
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
i had the same problem on my 81 s&s if i am pretty sure it was as well the solenoid sticking open because i would bang on it when the starter would stick and it would release. I would suggest buying a good one such as a Borge-Warner because i bought 3 from Advance Auto Parts that were bad.

Hunterb
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
You almost certainly need a new solenoid. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged and high enough amps. For some reason which I don't understand this happens more often with a low amperage battery.

Bruce

JLeuck64
05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
It's an interesting thingy....

As a DC motor turns slower, it allows MORE current to flow. There are much more technical explanations, of course.

So, with a weak battery the starter motor will spin slowly which allows more amps to flow through the circuit.

amber 6
05-25-2008, 08:09 AM
thanks I bought a new solenoid cause the old one stuck I thought put the new one in and the engine kept starting. took it out and put the old one back in and things fine again. so will buy the proper solenoid from Mastercraft on my next visit to United States.
Ta

ski_king
05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I had the same problem with my 82 once.
The starter relay was stuck. I was able to get a new one at the local Ford dealer parts department.

I guess you don't have may Ford dealers in Ireland that would stock this part. YOu can always try here. (http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130001)

http://skidim.com/images/R130001.jpg