PDA

View Full Version : For all you plane aficionados...

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I had mentioned in a different thread about having the Tri-State Warbird Museum (http://www.tri-statewarbirdmuseum.org/index.shtml) located at the Clermont County Airport just a couple miles away from our house. We get the warbirds flying over sometimes...including yesterday. I missed the best photo opportunity when they were flying low (few hundred feet?), in formation, right over our house, but caught them on another pass. The engine noise from these things are nothing like you typically hear from a prop plane. AWESOME!

Can anyone identify the type of aircraft flying in formation (Sorry for picture quality...digital zoom)? I have also seen this Mustang (see below) in flight...once.

Carbon Dreams
05-18-2008, 04:56 PM
The Highest airplane is a T-28 Trojan built between the '50's and the '80's. The other two are T-6 Texans built between 1935 and 1950. The T-6's also had some Canadian variants. Probably one of the loudest and not very fast propeller airplanes in history. The T-6 was basically the primary trainer for all the cadets training for WWII fighters.

dsoby
05-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Bottom picture is obviously a P-51 Mustang.

learjet2230
05-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Cincinnati Miss........reminds me of Tom Cruise's P-51. His was called "Montana Miss" and has since been renamed "Kiss Me Kate"
.....And Carbon Dreams is correct on the other aircraft.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Cool...thanks for the replies. If you want to test your knowledge, here are some more that flew for Matt Maupin's (local soldier captured/killed in Iraq) funeral.
Both pictures are the same set of planes, just different angles.
Again...sorry for the quality.

jakethebt
05-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Cool. I had no idea that was down there. I am up in Dayton and will have to make the trip sometime.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Cool. I had no idea that was down there. I am up in Dayton and will have to make the trip sometime.
Call before you go because it doesn't seem like their site has been updated lately. I'm not sure what's all down there.

dsoby
05-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Mike might correct me, but I believe thta those are zeros.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I did some searching and I think the 2 with the straight wings and 'stinger' tail drag wheels are "Yakovlev Yak-52, a Soviet trainer from the 1970s".

Carbon Dreams
05-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Two Yak 18's and one 18A or CJ6. The one on the left of the first pic and right in the second pic is a nanchang CJ-6 most likely. It is sometimes difficult to tell yak over nanchang from afar. Nanchang's were built under license in China. They are very popular among those warbird guys on a budget.:)

MYMC
05-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Mike might correct me, but I believe thta those are zeros.

Carbon is correct...CJ6

I dont know if there are any Zeros still flying...kinda like P-38s.

YooperScott
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I believe there is one true Zero flying (with original engine) belonging to a museum in California (but still flown sometimes). There are others flying with different engines. I saw one in an airshow a few years ago.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Whether it was a 'true' Zero or not, we did have one fly by a year or so ago. It was flying in tendem with some type of US fighter, trainer, bomber.

I'm pretty fortunate to live b/w Clermont County Airport and Lunken Airport. A lot of (smaller) air traffic makes for some interesting viewing from the yard/deck.

learjet2230
05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Yep those are Yak's. I have time in a YAK 52. Total hoot to fly and built like a frickin tank! Got Pics somewhere.

Ric
05-19-2008, 06:26 PM
It's been alotta years but I thought there was a P38 in harlingen? In fact IIRC I watched him do a low inverted pass in Galveston in the 90's like a madman!

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-01-2008, 08:24 PM
We get the warbirds flying over sometimes...

Happened again today! They are selling rides out of Lunken Airport on this bomber. I'm glad I was able to see it fly over the house and snap a few pictures!

Carbon Dreams
06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Too bad a seat on the B17 is not as cheap as a seat on the Dash 8 in the background.

Hrkdrivr
06-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Carbon is correct...CJ6

I dont know if there are any Zeros still flying...kinda like P-38s.

Somebody's restoring a P-38 at Kissimmee where you got your Mustang ride...one or two hangars down from the mustang stable. I hope they plan to fly it. :cool:

thijs
06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I thought that B17 was dropping the little baby dash eight;)

I have seen and been through a restored to war specs fire bomber B17. Cool as heck. I am still the biggest fan of the Lancaster. There are only a few of them left. Two static displays here in Alberta (Calgary and Nanton). There was a little brother to the Lancaster- the Halifax. This is a cool story, I saw it on History Channel I believe.

http://www.airforcemuseum.ca/reconstructing337.htm

alletric
06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Somebody's restoring a P-38 at Kissimmee where you got your Mustang ride...one or two hangars down from the mustang stable. I hope they plan to fly it. :cool:

I went on a tour at I think was War Bird Museum while we were at Disney World in 1991. Is this the Kissimmee you speak of? They were giving rides in a T-6 and restoring a P-51 the best I remember.

Hrkdrivr
06-02-2008, 11:35 PM
I went on a tour at I think was War Bird Museum while we were at Disney World in 1991. Is this the Kissimmee you speak of? They were giving rides in a T-6 and restoring a P-51 the best I remember.

The place I mentioned is at the Kissimmee airport right near WDW, which could very well be the place you visited.

MYMC got a Mustang ride there from thes guys: http://www.stallion51.com/.

There are several businesses in the hangars at the airport; I'm not sure who is restoring and who is just storing/flying their acft, but there are numerous airplanes being restored. It's really cool.