PDA

View Full Version : Way off topic: John Deere Question

Monte
05-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I am trying to replace the blades on my John Deere GT 242. Does anybody know which way the blade bolts turn? I'm going to pick up a breaker bar in a few minutes, I don't want to turn it the wrong way.

Sodar
05-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Most lawn mower blades are reverse threaded... I have nothing more to add. :)

Monte
05-17-2008, 10:10 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking, The blades turn clockwise..

bigmac
05-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I am trying to replace the blades on my John Deere GT 242. Does anybody know which way the blade bolts turn? I'm going to pick up a breaker bar in a few minutes, I don't want to turn it the wrong way.

On my John Deere yard tractor with 48 inch deck, the bolts on the three blades turn the usual way. I always use an impact wrench, loosen to the left (counter-clockwise).

My blades turn counter clockwise (when viewed from the underside).

Monte
05-17-2008, 10:33 AM
On my John Deere yard tractor with 48 inch deck, the bolts on the three blades turn the usual way. I always use an impact wrench, loosen to the left (counter-clockwise).

Thanks. It is counter clockwise when you look up at it. Counter clockwise it is then.

bigmac
05-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks. It is counter clockwise when you look up at it. Counter clockwise it is then.

Yeh, my perspective is always from the underside because every year I change the blades with the deck off and upright, when I detach the snowblower and attach the mower deck. From that perspective, loosening the blade bolt means turning it counter-clockwise. On my deck, it's not reverse-threaded.

jimmer2880
05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
My JD318, was Lefty-Loosy (with the deck flipped upside-down)

Bruce
05-18-2008, 06:31 PM
My John Deere is righty tighty, lefty loosey! By the way most take a 15mm socket. Stick that on a breaker bar and you are in biz.

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I keep 303 on my JD blades, so they never need sharpening, besides, they are munching blades on a munching deck and all you do is brush with Colgate!:rolleyes::D

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2008, 07:05 PM

Dude buff up a little, Arnold needs no breaka bah!!

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2008, 07:11 PM

That's a bigggggggg deck. I trimmed the shrubs around my deck to make it seem bigger. :D

Would the blades turn the same no matter your perspective?? :confused:

brat
05-18-2008, 07:22 PM
[/B]

That's a bigggggggg deck. I trimmed the shrubs around my deck to make it seem bigger. :D

I've heard about people with small decks trimming around them to make them seem bigger, but the fact is a small deck is a small deck.;)

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
[/b]

My wife has always thought my deck was big, must be a optical conclusion, since I've always told her _____________________ is 6"!

SkiDog
05-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Monte, i was gonna suggest you call Harold and ask him, But I guess thats out of the question now after reading that dumb-a$$ response he posted!:D Always the clown! Always the clown!:D

brat
05-18-2008, 07:27 PM
My wife has always thought my deck was big, must be a optical conclusion, since I've always told her _____________________ is 6"!

Wive's generally tell their husband he has a big deck just an ego saver.:D

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Different kind of deck, same idea, http://video.yahoo.com/watch/113266

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm glad Monte didn't ask something about the stars!:rolleyes::D

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I've heard about people with small decks trimming around them to make them seem bigger, but the fact is a small deck is a small deck.;)

Even though my deck is not enormous I seem to have enough interest that my deck gets used quite often. :D

brat
05-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Even though my deck is not enormous I seem to have enough interest that my deck gets used quite often. :D

Hey, big or small theres no point in having a deck if your not going to use it !!!!!!!!!!:D:D

JohnnyB
05-18-2008, 07:45 PM

Ditto here on the thread direction and the use of the impact wrench. When I put them back on, I also put some anti-seize lube on the threads and check them with a Torque wrench. The torque spec is 50 lb-ft.

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Does your wife trim the bushes when she's on your deck or when she's off?

ski_king
05-18-2008, 07:48 PM
My deck was so big, it wont fit in the shed.

My wife made me take it back and get a smaller deck.

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey, big or small theres no point in having a deck if your not going to use it !!!!!!!!!!:D:D

I think I will experiment with deck lighting to create a more inviting atmosphere.

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Ditto here on the thread direction and the use of the impact wrench. When I put them back on, I also put some anti-seize lube on the threads and check them with a Torque wrench. The torque spec is 50 lb-ft.

I also use anti seize lube on my deck, then if the wife and I get hung up when she's on my deck, nobody will throw water on us!~:rolleyes::D

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I think I will experiment with deck lighting to create a more inviting atmosphere.

Just use those tropical color deck protectors and you won't have to worry about all the wiring!

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2008, 07:54 PM
My deck was so big, it wont fit in the shed.

My wife made me take it back and get a smaller deck.

I never knew you could have a deck that was too big. :confused:

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I also use anti seize lube on my deck, then if the wife and I get hung up when she's on my deck, nobody will throw water on us!~:rolleyes::D

Does it make your deck slippery??

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Does it make your deck slippery??

Not if you use the right lube, Starbrite Teak Oil, Sealer/Preserver, in the white bottle,http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=492700&postcount=10 !:rolleyes:
You don't want it too slippery, your wife might fall off your deck or hurt your deck!

wakolman
05-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I am not sure I should tell you guys that I was on a friend's deck today. It sure was dry and needed lube. He is thinking about tearing off the deck and replacing with synthetic!

TX.X-30 fan
05-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I am not sure I should tell you guys that I was on a friend's deck today. It sure was dry and needed lube. He is thinking about tearing off the deck and replacing with synthetic!

I have heard that a synthetic deck can be very pleasurable. :D

bigmac
05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I use an impact wrench to tighten the nuts on the deck because a breaker bar just isn't strong enough. If the nuts aren't tight, you might get excessive vibration. It can spoil the whole lawn-mowing experience.

coz
05-18-2008, 10:23 PM
It amazes me the s-load of knowledge I gain from this site :banana: :D :banana:

Monte
05-19-2008, 08:42 AM
I use an impact wrench to tighten the nuts on the deck because a breaker bar just isn't strong enough. If the nuts aren't tight, you might get excessive vibration. It can spoil the whole lawn-mowing experience.

Yup.... Needed an impact wrench:o I rounded the head of the Bolt with the breaker bar:o. John Deere dealer is coming to pick it up today.. Darn Darn Darn.. Oh well.. Note to self: never change the blades on the JD without the proper equipment ie.. impact wrench. At least I got my grass cut one last time before It goes to the shop.. When I called them even the guy at the dealership said "you really HAVE to use an impact wrench" Happens all the time:(

TMCNo1
05-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Yup.... Needed an impact wrench:o I rounded the head of the Bolt with the breaker bar:o. John Deere dealer is coming to pick it up today.. Darn Darn Darn.. Oh well.. Note to self: never change the blades on the JD without the proper equipment ie.. impact wrench. At least I got my grass cut one last time before It goes to the shop.. When I called them even the guy at the dealership said "you really HAVE to use an impact wrench" Happens all the time:(

Next thing you know, the wife will be buying a battery operated impact wrench to use instead of you doing it for her! Liberated women, pffffffffff!

Slinkyredfoot
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM

Years ago I finally got smart after experiencing your trials and tribulations on your blade removals.

My JD deck has three blades, the one that was always the biatch was the center one. I placed a lock washer under each blade bolt. If the bolt is tough to get off, I blow the lock washer out with a hammer and chisel and then you can remove the bolt with your fingers...

I have done this ever since and works great.
One last thing, do not tighten with an impact, just snug them up and do not over torque, they seem to get tighter as you use it.......:D

gigem75
05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
impact or a piece of wood to keep blade from turning.

RexDog1
05-19-2008, 02:35 PM
... I have nothing to add. :):confused::confused:

LOL LOL I love TT :wavey:

stuartmcnair
05-19-2008, 02:35 PM
trying to stay on topic here...

I just changed the blades on my mower (cordless impact wrench :D ) and I started to mow...kept hearing a thumping noise. Checked the blades again and everything was OK. Inspected the belt and there was a chunk out of it. You might want to have them change that out as well.

I found a great way to change my blades though. I hook a chain to the bumper of the mower and attach it to the hooks on my tractor's loader. Lift it up and it is very easy to work on.

TX.X-30 fan
05-19-2008, 03:26 PM

I just changed the blades on my mower (cordless impact wrench :D ) and I started to mow...kept hearing a thumping noise. Checked the blades again and everything was OK. Inspected the belt and there was a chunk out of it. You might want to have them change that out as well.

I found a great way to change my blades though. I hook a chain to the bumper of the mower and attach it to the hooks on my tractor's loader. Lift it up and it is very easy to work on.

Got any pics?? :D

TMCNo1
05-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Big eye bolt screwed deep into a floor joist in the basement and a come-a-long from it to the towing hole in the mover frame, wallllla!

stuartmcnair
05-19-2008, 10:55 PM
I probably should get a pic of it just for the laughs of the JD lifting up a Husqvarna. Kind of looked like a mother lifting a kid up by the scruff of the neck.

Jonathan94
05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
RE: "Way off topic: John Deere question"

It is not that much of a stretch... our local MC dealer also sells John Deere products!

http://www.martineq.com/

Monte
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM

It is not that much of a stretch... our local MC dealer also sells John Deere products!

Now that is odd... But hey I feel better:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
05-20-2008, 12:51 PM

Now that should get some conversations going on around here!

Knox's_Better_half
05-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Wow!!! Never have seen that before!

Bruce
05-20-2008, 01:04 PM
IMHO impact is over-kill. That is why you have rounded off head setc.. Breaker bar is PLENTY! Again mine takes 15mm socket. For some reason 15 is not standard in a lot of sets.

Monte
05-20-2008, 01:06 PM
IMHO impact is over-kill. That is why you have rounded off head setc.. Breaker bar is PLENTY! Again mine takes 15mm socket. For some reason 15 is not standard in a lot of sets.

I rounded them off with the breaker bar:o It is all ok now. The professionals have it at this point;)

Bruce
05-20-2008, 01:18 PM
That's what I mean. If they had not been put on with an impact the breaker bar would have worked just fine. Sorry you had the problem. Glad you're squared away. It reminds me of folks who put their tires on with an impact to tight and can't get them off with tire wrench on the side of the road!

Monte
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I suspect I'll have the same problem next time. They are going to use an impact wrench to put them on I feel sure of it..

chudson
05-20-2008, 01:42 PM

MC, JD, & SkiDoo hey I like this place!!! And lefty loose and righty tight on the mower blades is right (north of the equator) and hand tight with a rachet wrench will keep them on and you don't have to put the "Gorilla Pull" to it!!!
Good Luck!!!

bigmac
05-20-2008, 01:52 PM
It's pretty clear to me, ever since automotive shop class, that rounding off of bolts is due to a socket or wrench that doesn't fit properly, not the use of a breaker bar vs an impact wrench.

I completely agree that it's not necessary to use an impact wrench to tighten a lawnmower blade bolt because they do self-tighten. But BECAUSE of that, and because of the corrosion and crud, it is by FAR the most efficient method of getting them off. AND, as long as you have the impact wrench out, AND as long as you have the sense not to hold the trigger down for 10 seconds on full power, it will work out just fine.

stuartmcnair
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
That's what I mean. If they had not been put on with an impact the breaker bar would have worked just fine. Sorry you had the problem. Glad you're squared away. It reminds me of folks who put their tires on with an impact to tight and can't get them off with tire wrench on the side of the road!

what? you don't carry your impact driver with you in the car?

tolls are no good if you don't have them with you....

Jonathan94
05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
what? you don't carry your impact driver with you in the car?

tolls are no good if you don't have them with you....

then you need one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92349

stuartmcnair
05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
nope, I have this...

http://www.ridgid.com/assets/thumbnail.asp?path=/ASSETS/1300BCC59CFC435A8AB1746F37704586/R82320_1_Final_3C.jpg&key={651B9E09-1069-4268-BB3C-D0C2DB0AB001}

M-Funf
05-25-2008, 09:55 PM
nope, I have this...

http://www.ridgid.com/assets/thumbnail.asp?path=/ASSETS/1300BCC59CFC435A8AB1746F37704586/R82320_1_Final_3C.jpg&key={651B9E09-1069-4268-BB3C-D0C2DB0AB001}

Those things ROCK! My contractor had one and I "borrowed" it for a day. Pretty cool. He had the 18V Makita...much better than my Ryobi drill...

88 PS190
05-25-2008, 10:40 PM
It's pretty clear to me, ever since automotive shop class, that rounding off of bolts is due to a socket or wrench that doesn't fit properly, not the use of a breaker bar vs an impact wrench.

I mostly agree, proper fitting sockets/wrenches are key, but I have still caused damage with the correct socket on an impact (using snap on impacts none the less)

Mostly because there is not alot of feedback and on rusty hardware often its best to move the fastener back and forth to loosen the threads before driving the nut half off the thing and getting it locked onto rust then rounding/snapping things off.

So most of the time I only reach for an impact after PB and a breaker bar don't work, or I cannot secure the item from rotation. Mower deck blades would most likely get the impact for the rotation aspect, but who knows, I don't like having the aircompressor on in the garage, leads to having to go out in the middle of the night when I accidently leave it on and it turns on at 330 am woompa woompa woompa

TX.X-30 fan
05-26-2008, 02:02 AM
I mostly agree, proper fitting sockets/wrenches are key, but I have still caused damage with the correct socket on an impact (using snap on impacts none the less)

Mostly because there is not alot of feedback and on rusty hardware often its best to move the fastener back and forth to loosen the threads before driving the nut half off the thing and getting it locked onto rust then rounding/snapping things off.

So most of the time I only reach for an impact after PB and a breaker bar don't work, or I cannot secure the item from rotation. Mower deck blades would most likely get the impact for the rotation aspect, but who knows, I don't like having the aircompressor on in the garage, leads to having to go out in the middle of the night when I accidently leave it on and it turns on at 330 am woompa woompa woompa

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU JUST SAID??? :(:confused:

TMCNo1
05-26-2008, 06:21 AM
I just love hearing stoned people talk!

JohnnyB
05-26-2008, 07:49 AM

Wayyyy.....too cool!!! :headbang: