PDA

View Full Version : New Truck Fever, need a lil help!

SkiDog
05-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I've got new truck fever bad, but I can't decide what color. It's either gonna be dark blue or white. My last 4 trucks have been white so I was kinda wanting a change. But I think the dark blue is too dark and doesn't match the boat very well. Tell me what you think. Thanks34975

This blue looks almost black!

6ballsisall
05-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Well I'll beat UMP to the punch, make sure it's a Diesel ok?

JohnE
05-17-2008, 10:42 AM
I've got new truck fever bad, but I can't decide what color. It's either gonna be dark blue or white. My last 4 trucks have been white so I was kinda wanting a change. But I think the dark blue is too dark and doesn't match the boat very well. Tell me what you think. Thanks34975

This blue looks almost black!

I like the white better. But if you are tired of it, you could go with the blue and then get a new bote to match.;)

I know someone looking for an X2.:D

Sodar
05-17-2008, 10:46 AM
White .

bigmac
05-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I just ordered a new truck myself - after 10 years of black trucks, I went with white this time.

Sadly, I couldn't get the 3.54 rear end, I had to go with the 3.73. I hope performance doesn't suffer too much ;).

If you want to match the boat :confused: then white would look better IMHO.

Cloaked
05-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I just ordered a new truck myself - after 10 years of black trucks, I went with white this time.

Sadly, I couldn't get the 3.54 rear end, I had to go with the 3.73. I hope performance doesn't suffer too much ;).WHat performance are you hoping dosen't suffer... :D?

bigmac, how's things in your neck of the woods?

SkiDog
05-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Well I'll beat UMP to the punch, make sure it's a Diesel ok?

Now Jeff, you know it WILL be a diesel! Wonder if I can find a 1500HD diesel?!:D Yea, after towing the boat to CSM this year, the question as to diesel or gas was definitely answered. No gas for ME!

Cloaked
05-17-2008, 10:54 AM
...Wonder if I can find a 1500HD diesel?!:D http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/4-5lduramax.htm

GM...2009

bigmac
05-17-2008, 10:58 AM
WHat performance are you hoping dosen't suffer... :D?

bigmac, how's things in your neck of the woods?Things are fine up here. Air temp actually hit 70+ for the third time since October. Dock/lifts are in, boats aren't (although the Whaler is de-winterized and runs great in the driveway).

As Ric well knows, the 3.54 rear end gear ratio provides superior performance on the GM 1/2 ton trucks, especially relative to acceleration and towing. I only hope I'm not too dissatisfied with the higher gear ratio. :D

Monte
05-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Dark colors are hard as hell to keep clean... Just sayin..

Cloaked
05-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Things are fine up here. Air temp actually hit 70+ for the third time since October. Dock/lifts are in, boats aren't (although the Whaler is de-winterized and runs great in the driveway).

As Ric well knows, the 3.54 rear end gear ratio provides superior performance on the GM 1/2 ton trucks, especially relative to acceleration and towing. I only hope I'm not too dissatisfied with the higher gear ratio. :D
You'll like the 3.73. Glad all is well on your side of the creek.

Footin
05-17-2008, 11:10 AM
We have a black and white boat, sooooooooo we have a black tow vehicle and a white tow vehicle. They gotta match!

Chevy has a lighter blue that looks pretty good, and would still kinda match the boat.

trickskier
05-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Go with the dark blue. Just bought my son a Z71 that color. It looks awesome!!! :D

bigmac
05-17-2008, 11:22 AM
You'll like the 3.73. Glad all is well on your side of the creek.I've had the 3.73 on every truck I've owned since the first year of the Chevy Tahoe, until the truck I currently have. Overall, I like the 3.54 better.

ShamrockIV
05-17-2008, 11:33 AM
white!!!!!! change is for suckers!!!!!!!!

Ric
05-17-2008, 11:40 AM
The only cure is more cowbell

Ric
05-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I've had the 3.73 on every truck I've owned since the first year of the Chevy Tahoe, until the truck I currently have. Overall, I like the 3.54 better.
FISH ON. You had a 3.42:1 mac :noface:

bigmac
05-17-2008, 11:58 AM
FISH ON. You had a 3.42:1 mac :noface:

Oops. You're correct. 3.42 it is :o.

Wish that big bass under my dock was as easy to hook..:D

Ric
05-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Oops. You're correct. 3.42 it is :o.

Wish that big bass under my dock was as easy to hook..:D

WALTER !

D3skier
05-17-2008, 12:43 PM
go with white and add the same color blue stripe to the truck as the boat.... it would match perfectly...

Ric
05-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I'd like to see that D3. Please do that Dog
go with white and add the same color blue stripe to the truck as the boat.... it would match perfectly...

SkiDog
05-18-2008, 01:30 PM
I'd like to see that D3. Please do that Dog

I don't think anybody makes a metalflake blue pinstriping tape. But if they did................ oh boy! Looks like its gonna be a white one.:(

dapicatti
05-18-2008, 01:54 PM
If you are looking to have it match, keep it white. If you are looking for change, go blue. I bought my Avy in white because our boat was mostly white, now our boat is all black and it just doesn't look as good together, imo.

SkiDog
05-18-2008, 08:30 PM
If you are looking to have it match, keep it white. If you are looking for change, go blue. I bought my Avy in white because our boat was mostly white, now our boat is all black and it just doesn't look as good together, imo.

Thanks, I'm thinking white too. happy Sodar?!:D

alletric
05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
You didn't suggest it but what about silver to match the accents on the boat. It sure is easy to keep clean and doesn't show scratchs. Just a thought.

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't think anybody makes a metalflake blue pinstriping tape. But if they did................ oh boy! Looks like its gonna be a white one.:(

Yes, go to your local vinyl decal shop and ask to see their color charts, I get catalogues all the time with color charts with heavy metallic and metalflake vinyl samples on a sheet. They replicate about any finish there is in vinyl these days!

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 09:37 PM

A green Honda Ridgeline would go perfect, :rolleyes::uglyhammeso you can drive it in the woods too!

If you get white, just go ahead and glue down some green Astroturf on the front porch, ya old fart!

TMCNo1
05-18-2008, 09:41 PM
That's right Skidog, post and run when we start getting serious!8p:D

Willski
05-18-2008, 10:09 PM
I have a blue, but white looks good on a truck.

JR34
05-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Blue looks really hard to match. White would look good too but you said you were looking for a change so I would look into grey/silver with that boat. I think that would be a great combo.

Doug G
05-18-2008, 11:58 PM
CAMO! You don't need those overrated big arse trucks. Just pick up this puppy and your good to go. will look great on you!

TMCNo1
05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
CAMO! You don't need those overrated big arse trucks. Just pick up this puppy and your good to go. will look great on you!

Is that suppose to be a pic of a truck? I can't see what it is!:rolleyes:

wakeX2wake
05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Is that suppose to be a pic of a truck? I can't see what it is!:rolleyes:

all i see is concrete and a NHRA sign hanging on a tree

TMCNo1
05-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Anybody that sets 4 wheels and tires in the driveway, could at least ArmorAll the tires and polish the wheels!

ShamrockIV
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
that wouls lookd good dog!!
u could do ur boat to match!!!
the chics would never see u coming!!!! lol

Sodar
05-19-2008, 11:41 AM

Heck Yeah! White is the only color vehicle I will ever own. The color is classy and never looks outdated, plus you do not see the swirl marks that you do on darker vehicles. White is right! :D

ShamrockIV
05-19-2008, 11:46 AM
white is the best!!!!!

we had a black car and it was gorgeous for the 5 min it stayed clean!!

wakeX2wake
05-19-2008, 11:49 AM
not a better looking color when clean than black but I will NEVER own another black vehicle as long as i live... unless of course i win one on the price is right... i'm partial to my silver truck but i had a white z71 before the tundra and its just a great color w/ good looks and low maintenance... i was waxing my black 350z every 2 weeks

Ric
05-19-2008, 12:18 PM
ya dog, a nice scwhing stripe of metal flake blue on your new white truck. I say do it Dog.

:rolleyes:

MIMC
05-19-2008, 02:27 PM
1st choice would be white and get blue & silver pin stripes. 2nd choice would be a silver/gray truck with blue and white pin stripes? The blue is to dark - nice color - but just doesn't match up - just my two cents.

MIMC

bigmac
05-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I've owned 5 black trucks since 1999. I'm in the process of negotiating for a new one right now (pick it up Wednesday) and this one is white - first time for everything- I just got tired of black.

There is apparently a strike by the company that makes axles for GM so there is a relative shortage of GM trucks in the pipeline. My dealer, pretty big dealer, had to go to Wahpeton, North Dakota to get it.

1500 Sierra SLT with 3.73 rear end. The 3.42 is no longer available (neither is the 3.54), but mileage apparently increased to 20+ mpg because of the Active Fuel Management thing where half the engine shuts down at random intervals, or something like that, so I'm OK with the unnecessarily high gearing.

I was interested to note that this 2008 has a lot more doodads on it for about the same price as my old 2006. Things like remote starter, heated (170 degree) windshield washer fluid, some kind of back-up warning system (that apparently won't help to keep me from backing over cats), Stabilitrak (gauranteed to keep me out of accidents, I'm told). It has a built in electonic trailer brake controller, which is kind of nice, and a bunch of other weird toys that I can't remember. I was interested to note that they now have an aux input in the front of the stereo for an MP3 player, as well as a $160 dealer option for a specific iPod interface (Personal Audio Link). Anybody have experience with this PAL thing for iPods? I note that Chrysler and Ford have both also signed onto that deal.

On the downside, the bed dimensions have apparently changed and the bed liner I've had since 1999 won't work - likewise my like-new Access Roll-Up cover won't fit. What a racket.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
the bed dimensions have apparently changed and the bed liner I've had since 1999 won't work - likewise my like-new Access Roll-Up cover won't fit. What a racket.
Oh, If only I had your problems....:rolleyes: LOL

bigmac
05-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Oh, If only I had your problems....:rolleyes: LOL

It's horrible.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh, and back on topic.....White IMO.

bigmac- Heated washer fluid? Cool.
Engine block heater??

Ric
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
mac wouldn't that 3.73 be an unnecessarily lower gear in your opinion?

we froze the washer fluid in the minivan headed to the mountains for new years. That's a bigger problem than a flatlander would imagine til he's lived it.

I've owned 5 black trucks since 1999. I'm in the process of negotiating for a new one right now (pick it up Wednesday) and this one is white - first time for everything- I just got tired of black.

There is apparently a strike by the company that makes axles for GM so there is a relative shortage of GM trucks in the pipeline. My dealer, pretty big dealer, had to go to Wahpeton, North Dakota to get it.

1500 Sierra SLT with 3.73 rear end. The 3.42 is no longer available (neither is the 3.54), but mileage apparently increased to 20+ mpg because of the Active Fuel Management thing where half the engine shuts down at random intervals, or something like that, so I'm OK with the unnecessarily high gearing.

I was interested to note that this 2008 has a lot more doodads on it for about the same price as my old 2006. Things like remote starter, heated (170 degree) windshield washer fluid, some kind of back-up warning system (that apparently won't help to keep me from backing over cats), Stabilitrak (gauranteed to keep me out of accidents, I'm told). It has a built in electonic trailer brake controller, which is kind of nice, and a bunch of other weird toys that I can't remember. I was interested to note that they now have an aux input in the front of the stereo for an MP3 player, as well as a $160 dealer option for a specific iPod interface (Personal Audio Link). Anybody have experience with this PAL thing for iPods? I note that Chrysler and Ford have both also signed onto that deal.

On the downside, the bed dimensions have apparently changed and the bed liner I've had since 1999 won't work - likewise my like-new Access Roll-Up cover won't fit. What a racket.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2008, 10:20 AM
The 3.73 would be perfect while running on 4 cylinders.

bigmac
05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
mac wouldn't that 3.73 be an unnecessarily lower gear in your opinion?

we froze the washer fluid in the minivan headed to the mountains for new years. That's a bigger problem than a flatlander would imagine til he's lived it.

Higher, lower....tomato, tomahto.

The way it was explained to me, the washer reservoir isn't heated. Instead, washer fluid is "instantly" heated to 170 degrees as it's pumped out on its way to the windshield. Apparently it defrosts the windshield better, and does a better job of getting bugs off (in their respective seasons, of course).

Ric
05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
yes .

bigmac
05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
I'll let you know...picking the vehicle up tomorrow. I need to drive down to the Twin Cities on Thursday and my wife is pulling the horses to someplace in Iowa over the weekend.

Ric
05-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Higher, lower....tomato, tomahto.

The way it was explained to me, the washer reservoir isn't heated. Instead, washer fluid is "instantly" heated to 170 degrees as it's pumped out on its way to the windshield. Apparently it defrosts the windshield better, and does a better job of getting bugs off (in their respective seasons, of course).
apparantly our particluar washer fluid was not freeze proof.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2008, 10:36 AM
"Our" windshield washer fluid bottles state it's good to -20. I can't remember it every freezing in any of my vehicles at those temps.

Ironically, I believe the stuff is "flammable".

RexDog1
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
"Our" windshield washer fluid bottles state it's good to -20. I can't remember it every freezing in any of my vehicles at those temps.

I like the White looks good with boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And what is this freezing you talk about? :confused:........:)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
I like the White looks good with boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And what is this freezing you talk about? :confused:........:)

Put a can of beer in your freezer tonight.....On saturday...Remove the can and try to drink it.:D When nothing comes out, don't worry, all you have to do is cut the can off, and put this chunk of ice beer on an ice cream cone and enjoy...:rolleyes: Thank me later...

trickskier
05-20-2008, 11:00 AM
I've had 3 white vehicles: A Z-28, Chevy Minivan, and a Tahoe..........They were the hardest vehicles to keep clean because they show everything............Drive over a newly paved road and try getting that tar off................8p

Bigmac............All of my Tahoes have had the 3.73 gear ratio. I get 20 MPG on the highway @ 75 MPH turning about 2200 RPM's. My wife's Suburban as a 4.10 and it get's around 17.5 MPG at 75 MPH turning 2350 RPM's.

RexDog1
05-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Put a can of beer in your freezer tonight.....On saturday...Remove the can and try to drink it.:D When nothing comes out, don't worry, all you have to do is cut the can off, and put this chunk of ice beer on an ice cream cone and enjoy...:rolleyes: Thank me later...

Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

trickskier
05-20-2008, 11:05 AM

Which do you prefer??? Waffle or Sugar Cone???

RexDog1
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Waffle Cones ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Opps, forgot to add....:o
The frozen beer will look similar to the washer bottle under the hood of said vehicle...With the exception of it being blue in color. And it would very hard to pump it through an 1/8" rubber tube and squirt in onto said windshield.

trickskier....On your note about the tar...Would it be easier to clean tar off a black vehicle...Or just less noticable if you left it on??8p
White is tough to keep clean...But I feel it is easier than dark/black...Silver/gray has been my happy medium the last few times...

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
That depends..
Miller Lite?
or
Bud light?

trickskier
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
trickskier....On your note about the tar...Would it be easier to clean tar off a black vehicle...Or just less noticable if you left it on??8p
White is tough to keep clean...But I feel it is easier than dark/black...Silver/gray has been my happy medium the last few times...

Definitely LESS noticable...............Just as hard to get off............On average I would spend 10 to 15 minutes more washing my white vehicles........;)

6ballsisall
05-20-2008, 11:28 AM

Tru Dat. It burned quite well in my Cummins with Water/Methanol Injection. :cool:

bigmac
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes. I have visions of flame shooting out of my windshield wipers. That would be cool. For awhile. As long as someone was there to take pictures.

Ric
05-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I've had 3 white vehicles: A Z-28, Chevy Minivan, and a Tahoe..........They were the hardest vehicles to keep clean because they show everything............Drive over a newly paved road and try getting that tar off................8p

Bigmac............All of my Tahoes have had the 3.73 gear ratio. I get 20 MPG on the highway @ 75 MPH turning about 2200 RPM's. My wife's Suburban as a 4.10 and it get's around 17.5 MPG at 75 MPH turning 2350 RPM's. oooh I dont get that kinda mileage with my 3.73's but you were one cool customer with that z28 huh?

Ric
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Opps, forgot to add....:o
The frozen beer will look similar to the washer bottle under the hood of said vehicle...With the exception of it being blue in color. And it would very hard to pump it through an 1/8" rubber tube and squirt in onto said windshield.
... tell me about it :rolleyes:

Silver/gray has been my happy medium the last few times...
silver looks great if you keep it waxed. Me can't stands a dull grey car.

trickskier
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
oooh I dont get that kinda mileage with my 3.73's but you were one cool customer with that z28 huh?

I bought it for my wife. It was an 82' with CrossFire Fuel Injection......A factory fiberglass hood & functional ramair.............Loved that Z-28!

Ric
05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
trick you might have bought that car the same year that I bought a 73 camper special chevy half ton long bed 454 from an old fella who "just didn't go camping anymore" .

trickskier
05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
trick you might have bought that car the same year that I bought a 73 camper special chevy half ton long bed 454 from an old fella who "just didn't go camping anymore" .
454.................Now there's a GAS GUZZLER!!! :D

Ric
05-20-2008, 12:25 PM
ooooooohhhhhhh ya :woohoo:

trickskier
05-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Dog, I've been giving this a lot of consideration and my suggestion is to buy a PINK truck..................;)
It will fit you like a glove..............8p