PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle - Honda Ridgeline or Pilot??

h2oskiluvr
05-16-2008, 07:40 PM
I am looking for a new tow vehicle. I have a 2005 PS 197 and I was wondering if either the Ridgeline or the Pilot were good tow vehicles for a boat of this size. They appear to have adequate towing capacity on paper but I was interested in some perspectives from people who have used these vehicles to tow their boats. Thanks a lot!

Jerseydave
05-16-2008, 11:29 PM
I can't comment on either of those, but for me the choices would be more like AVALANCHE VS. TAHOE. (then again I am a Chevy man) :D

JohnE
05-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I can't comment on either of those, but for me the choices would be more like AVALANCHE VS. TAHOE. (then again I am a Chevy man) :D

I vote Avalanche.:D

JohnE
05-16-2008, 11:57 PM
I am looking for a new tow vehicle. I have a 2005 PS 197 and I was wondering if either the Ridgeline or the Pilot were good tow vehicles for a boat of this size. They appear to have adequate towing capacity on paper but I was interested in some perspectives from people who have used these vehicles to tow their boats. Thanks a lot!

How far and often do you tow. What do you tow with now?

h2oskiluvr
05-17-2008, 12:26 AM
I take the boat out roughly 2 times per week and the trip to the lake is 12 miles. I never go on long trips with the boat in tow. There are no steep grades or hills for me to go up (or down) on the trip. I have a steep driveway that I back the boat up which is pretty hard on the vehicle.

I am currently driving a 2004 Explorer Limited with a v8. I hate it, sorry, it is the last Ford I will ever own. It has clunked and clanked since the day I brought it home.

markdranda
05-17-2008, 09:36 AM
We've got a '05 Pilot that is used to tow our Prostar 190. We travel about 5miles to our lake,, and it does alright, you can sure feel the boat back there. When pulling it our of the water, she gets it out, but is a bit short on power. We like our pilot, but may get something a bit bigger the next time around.

VirtualWi
05-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey...I am both a Chevy AND Honda guy :) I have the Ridgeline and have had it for about 2 years now (48,000 miles) and it's flawless - tight as can be. We have a Prostar 190 and only tow a few times a year (to and from storage, and a rare trip here or there) but the Ridgeline is great. I think anything will be fine...but for the few times you'll tow, you'll be happier with the Ridgeline - lots of room inside, doesn't ride like a truck, and I average almost 22 MPG on our highway trips up North. I have also towed other things like a loaded dump trailer (close to max weight) and it worked great for that as well.

http://www.virtualwi.com/DSC_1594.JPG

YooperScott
05-17-2008, 09:48 AM
There was just a topic earlier this week in the Off Topic section about Ridgelines. I have one and have towed my 190 on a 400 mile trip at 65+ mph no problems. Got somewhere around 13 mpg doing so if I remember correctly. It tows fine and has more power than probably any of the 1/2 domestic trucks did 15 years ago, but nothing like the Tundra's of today. Yes it's a sissy truck and not the best looking of all time, but it's a Honda (RELIABLE) and does great in around town day to day life. Also drives WAY better than any other truck I have ever been in. The Pilot is basically the same vehicle in SUV form so I would imagine it would be about the same towing wise. Just how you want to ultilize the space. Personally I checked out Pilot's and found the backseat of the Ridgeline more comfortable for some reason (of course that is the only time I have ever been in the backseat, in the showroom). Also checked out Chevy 1/2 tons but cost (same equipment was several thousand more out the door price) and not fitting in my garage along with Honda reliability made the decision.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

kev88
05-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Towed my 18ft Sea Ray with my 2004 Pilot - not a very heavy boat and the Pilot's tranny and engine didn't seem to like it.......

SchuyHigh
05-18-2008, 08:34 PM

I have one thought.....TRUCK. Go get a GMC/Chevy/Ford crew cab w/bed cover, leather & dressed out for $35K & 0%/60. You will never ask yourself if you have enough ride. The best thing about owning a boat is you get to own an AMERICAN truck.

bigmac
05-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I vote GMC 1/2 ton with 3.43 or 3.54 rear end. Extended cab...definitely not crew cab. And no diesels.

MCDriven
05-19-2008, 07:12 PM
You have a MasterCraft, so you have your man card, so buy the Ridgeline if you like, but if you want real truck credentials, go domestic 1/2 ton - I think Dodge Ram is the best looking of the bunch - or at least a Titan or Tundra. I wanted to get the Ridgeline for the lockable in-bed trunk (that doubles as a cooler - even has a drain), but my WIFE wants me to buy a Dodge. My brother has a Nissan Titan and loves it.

icewake
05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
our titan pulls the heck out of the boat. it pulls it better than my buddies 5.4 f-250 imho

Kevin Hickey
05-20-2008, 01:58 PM
I own a Pilot and a Ridgeline. I have a '05 PS 197 and have towed it with the Pilot several times without a problem. I have not towed the boat with the Ridgeline yet. I will have to say, though, that the Ridgeline is a bigger and stronger vehicle, and I would recommend it over the Pilot if the choice is between the two. Besides, the Ridgeline comes with the extra towing add ons, while they are optional equipment on the Pilot.

fatladysingin
05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Benz GL 550

ShamrockIV
05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
neither!!!!!!!!!!
go bigger!!!!! yukon or tahoe

SchuyHigh
05-21-2008, 01:37 AM
neither!!!!!!!!!!
go bigger!!!!! yukon or tahoe

THANK YOU!!

alp
05-22-2008, 08:07 PM
We've used a 05 Pilot for towing a 92 PS 190 for 3 seasons. Works great! Tow about 10 trips of 50 miles, 20 trip of 8 miles, and a 400 mile trip for vacation. No problems. Pilot is tight as a drum. Just replaced the original brakes and tires at 70k, and the trailer brakes don't work.

JDK
05-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I also have a Pilot and it pulls my 205PS on a tandem on short trips easily.
I pull in 3rd@ 65. Only difference between a Pilot and Ridgeline's drive train is the axle gearing and the Ridgeline can transfer a little more torque to the rear axle through the VTM4.

Ben
05-23-2008, 08:23 AM
I have neither, but can confirm I have seen both of them loaded down (squatting pretty well) at the durability test track on both rough road as well as highway. No trailers, but I'd be fairly confident in honda's ratings....

Side note, also have seen the porshe SUV pulling small full height campers at the track too. Only time I've ever seen anything behind one of those - caught my eye.

wakeX2wake
05-23-2008, 08:49 AM
i've said it once on here if i've said it a dozen... TUNDRA

Willski
05-23-2008, 08:56 AM
I have a '99 chevy 1/2 ton extended cab and an '06 Pilot. I almost always tow with the truck. Definitely more suited. But having said that, the Pilot will tow your boat fine. You will know it is back there. I have an '84 MC, so your boat is a little bigger and heavier than mine too.

MariStar-Man
10-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I am looking for a new tow vehicle. I wondering if either the Ridgeline or the Pilot. Thanks a lot!

So which one did you wind up getting? I'm thinking about a Ridgeline.
Either I buy a truck or date a woman who owns one...:D

ROB
10-04-2009, 10:04 PM
The Ridgeline has a slightly higher towing capacity. I'm assuming you have no interest in buying an American truck. There are lots of great deals out there and the extra 3000# of towing capacity will be kinder to your tranny and engine. Just my .02.

carracer
10-04-2009, 10:10 PM
buy a toyota !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double D
10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Avalanche ALL THE WAY! I'm on my Second one! Love them. (Or American Made!)
I used to pull this boat (no brakes) with a 1995 Chevy S-Series Blazer and even through it had plenty of towing capacity, I had to add a transmission cooler, and if I wasn't careful on stopping, I would get pushed through intersections. You need V8 for torgue and big brakes for stopping.

My 2 cents.:)

TX.X-30 fan
10-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Buy a vehicle that is meant to tow. Not a Jap-mobile. 2 centavos

Finnsdad
10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I have a Ridgeline, it tows just fine. My MPG goise from 19 to 11 when towing. The Ridgeline comes with a tranny cooler which is important to have. Tow in overdrive (as manual states)and let the computer decide which gear it needs. Look for a one that came with the tow package, the hitches are nicer as well as the Honda harness.

99xstar
10-04-2009, 10:50 PM
My wife's 06 Pilot won't pull the 99 x-star up the (very steep) driveway at our lakehouse, even with the VTM4. I only tried it once and once it got to a certain point, it just stopped. No matter how much gas I gave it, it would not budge. My Dakota 4.7L pulls it with no problem.

Finnsdad
10-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Oh, and the Honda (Pilot and Ridgeline) is made in Alabama. The Avalanche is made in Mexico.

TMCNo1
10-04-2009, 11:30 PM

If you keep using them Julio wurds, does that mean we are going to have to start pressing the 2 key to understand Spanish?:rolleyes:

carracer
10-04-2009, 11:31 PM
and a bankrupt company

TX.X-30 fan
10-05-2009, 01:07 AM
If you keep using them Julio wurds, does that mean we are going to have to start pressing the 2 key to understand Spanish?:rolleyes:

Yes # uno. :D

ROB
10-05-2009, 01:11 AM
I have a Ridgeline, it tows just fine. My MPG goise from 19 to 11 when towing. The Ridgeline comes with a tranny cooler which is important to have. Tow in overdrive (as manual states)and let the computer decide which gear it needs. Look for a one that came with the tow package, the hitches are nicer as well as the Honda harness.

Couldn't find your boat model under your profile. What exactly are you towing with your Ridgeline. Dropping 8 mpg's while towing, would seem to indicate that the engine and tranny are working pretty hard. One man's "it tows just fine," is another man's "oops, I should have had a V8."

TX.X-30 fan
10-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Couldn't find your boat model under your profile. What exactly are you towing with your Ridgeline. Dropping 8 mpg's while towing, would seem to indicate that the engine and tranny are working pretty hard. One man's "it tows just fine," is another man's "oops, I should have had a V8."

:D Nice...............

TX.X-30 fan
10-05-2009, 01:15 AM
UMP loves big a&& diesels!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For towing

bbymgr
10-05-2009, 02:40 AM

My 2008 Dodge Hemi V8 drops about 8 mpg when towing, and my brothers 2005 Ford V8 drops 9 mpg when towing.

ROB
10-05-2009, 03:01 AM
My 2008 Dodge Hemi V8 drops about 8 mpg when towing, and my brothers 2005 Ford V8 drops 9 mpg when towing.

That's a big number. Hope your getting about 18mpg normally. Because if you're dropping 8 mpg on a 2008 Dodge Hemi V8 which should average about 15 mpg, you're only getting 7 mpg's while towing. Must all be up hill.

MariStar-Man
10-05-2009, 05:02 AM
My wife's 06 Pilot won't pull the 99 x-star up the (very steep) driveway at our lakehouse, even with the VTM4.

Curious as to how much your 99 x-star weighs?

A New X-Star weighs:
4250 boat
1240 Trailer
318 = 53 gallons of gas x 6lbs
400 Stuff
500 =people still in boat going up ramp

Total 6708

On MY 99 Maristar:

2900 Boat
1050 Tandem Trailer
270 =45 Gal x6 lbs
400 Stuff
200 X-10 Tower Added
500= people still in boat going up ramp

Total 5320

I will only find out if the Ridgeline can make it is by taking one and hooking it up to the Maristar and taking it up a steep hill...

I haven't got to the part where I get half way up the Hill and, and the salesman is saying, "Were not going to make it!" as he's grabbing on to the handrail and telling the cars behind us to get out of the way...:rolleyes::D

bbymgr
10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
That's a big number. Hope your getting about 18mpg normally. Because if you're dropping 8 mpg on a 2008 Dodge Hemi V8 which should average about 15 mpg, you're only getting 7 mpg's while towing. Must all be up hill.

My Dodge gets 17-18 mpg on the interstate. The only long tow trip i have done is from northern Indiana to Douglas Lake in Tennessee. Went through mountains in Kentucky to the Lake. MPG was around 10. My brother pulls his Torino Talladega to car shows in a covered trailer. Granted he has more weight, 5700 lbs to my 4500 lbs, but he normally drops from 17 to 8 mpg.

YooperScott
10-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I've towed my 190 400 miles a couple of times with my Ridgeline NO problem. Normally it only goes 1.5 miles to the ramp and back or the big 6 mile round trip to the gas station. I do drop around 8-9 mpg too (driving 65-75) to ~12 on the trips it has gone on. It has to downshift out of overdrive with any sort of uphill slope at all. I would be willing to bet your average 1/2 ton Chevy/Ford/Dodge would not be quite as quick on the downshift, but it would probably be having to downshift too. Also the ramp and following hill to the road from the boat ramp on our lake is pretty darn steep and it's not a problem in the least.

Bottom line I think the Ridgeline tows just fine, stops just fine too and has been a wonderful vehicle so far. If I was towing a long distance often I would have bought a diesel.

Otherwise it is 2.5 years old, ~35,000 miles completely trouble free. No rattles, no sweaks, NOTHING. Well sorry, I did just replace the windshield wipers because of the coming season as they weren't wiping the best anymore on one side. A big advantage of the Ridgeline over a 'real' truck is day to day driving. You can drive it around a parking lot basically the same as a sedan. Since it's only sort of a truck it also does not drive like one. The bed lacks in space somewhat over the domestics however the inbed trunk more than makes up for it if you ask me. Mine has carried a 153" track mountain sled (snowmobile for you southern guys) hundreds of miles, just not the prettiest look with several feet hanging off the back of the tailgate. The automatic all time 4wd and active handling works very nice and likely the reason why the Ridgeline is THE BEST vehicle I have driven on snowy roads.

Finnsdad
10-05-2009, 10:23 AM

It is similar in size and weight to a PS190.

Finnsdad
10-05-2009, 10:26 AM
The automatic all time 4wd and active handling works very nice and likely the reason why the Ridgeline is THE BEST vehicle I have driven on snowy roads.

I second that. I drive a lot on country roads for my job so a good 4wd system is a must, and the Honda is the best I have ever driven.

MariStar-Man
10-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I've towed my 190 400 miles a couple of times with my Ridgeline NO problem.

Also the ramp and following hill to the road from the boat ramp on our lake is pretty darn steep and it's not a problem in the least.

Yooper, Could you estimate how much your Boat weighs considering the example I used above?

mccobmd
10-05-2009, 01:16 PM

I have a Nissan Armada and trust me, It's meant to tow.

YooperScott
10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Yooper, Could you estimate how much your Boat weighs considering the example I used above?

I believe my boat/trailer weigh around 3500 pounds plus gas/junk. My uncle also has a Ridgeline and a Maristar 200 and he just towed it ~400 miles roundtrip and when I asked him about it he just said "fine". I would imagine he is much closer to your weight. How far do you have to tow and how often do you do it? If your towing is mostly local non-interstate stuff I would not hesitate. Now if you trailer 100+ miles each direction every weekend on the interstate and want to be going 80, then get a 3/4 ton turbo diesel and skip all of the 1/2 ton gassers. My mission includes infrequent distance towing (though I have done it a few times as indicated) and mostly all short stuff. For that I would not think twice about hooking up any MC back there except the new cabin cruiser. I've jammed the thing full of wood several times, hauled a mountain sled a couple times, etc.... I'd dare say that my Ridgeline has done more 'truck' stuff in 2.5 years than lots of trucks ever do and it's done it all with no complaints.

In all seriousness if I towed on the interstate much I would want bigger. Realize though that most of that also lies in the fact that I am a speed limit plus 10 or more driver and if i'm going on a several hour trip is pains me to do 70. If you're up over 70 in the Ridgeline and towing a boat it will be out of overdrive more than in overdrive.

bturner2
10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
At one time I towed a 4500 lb. Sea Ray with a Bronco II and a 2.8L V6, it towed fine. I upgraded the truck to a 4.0L Explorer and couldn't believe the differencee.

I later switched boats to a 200 VRS MariStar and the old Explorer pulled fine. I then upgraded to a V8 Explorer and couldn't believe the difference.

I now own a 07 X2 and the V8 Explorer pulled fine. I sold the V8 Expllorer this fall and borrowed a F150 Super Cab with the 5,4L V8 to take the boat to storage, what an incredible difference. Wish I would have just bought the right truck for the job in the first place instead of trying to get by with a dual purpose vechicle.

From my experience it's always best to buy the right tool for the job. In this case if you plan to tow a lot buy something that's made to do the job correctly. If not plan to just get by and live with it. I plan to purchase a used 07-08 F150 super crew or super cab next year. You can get these turcks with pretty low mileage for under $18K here.

It would be nice if you could get examples of each and take the Pepsi challange between the almost truck and a real truck to see the difference. I believe if I would have done this years ago I just would have bought a real truck and been done with it.

YooperScott
10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
bturner2,

Being a devils advocate on you a bit, why have you still not gotten the right tool yet? Powerstroke (since you appear to be a Ford guy) because it WILL BE that much better. :D

To me this all comes down to how much and how far do you tow. For me as long as the vehicle is capable if needed (it has proven to be) that is good enough. My boat got used the most this summer since i've gotten it and probably only got trailered a total of less than 20 miles. If I needed to go 1000 miles tomorrow I could and would. That said if I towed often and over a distance I would have gotten something much more substantial (turbo diesel).

bturner2
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
It's hard not to be an American (Ford) truck guy when you live in Michigan and see your friends and family suffering from this economy.

Just can't do the diesel thing, hate the smell and messing with diesel fuel. I do hear what you're saying about "good enough" believe me if you look at the list I made I've lived with "good enough" for years but always wished I'd had something real good.

My boat sits on a lift in front of the house 90% of the time. We go to Norris Lake in TN once a year and Northern Michigan once or twice a summer. Next year I'm finally going to have something to tow with that exceeds the trailer weight of the boat for a change but it's taken a long time to be able to afford to have a truck that sits most of the time. An F150 with a 7900 lb tow package should be plenty for my 5000 lb rig.

At the beginning of the season I talked to a guy at our ramp that had an old Aero Star that he used to pull a 19' Four Winns. I asked him how it pulled the boat as I was somewhat shocked to see the old van pulling such a large boat. He told me it did the job. Don't think I'd want to be pulling with it but hey if that's what he can afford and he's happy with it then I'm happy for him. If you're happy with your rig and it's doing the job for you I'm happy for you also.....:)

Double D
10-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Well Said! Because I was the "oops" guy! LOL

mdskier
10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Maristar-Man,

I have the same boat (1999) you have with the tandem axle trailer. I also have a 2008 Ridgeline. I tow my Maristar just a few miles with no problem. However, there is a decent hill on the way to the boat ramp and the Ridgeline struggles pulling the Maristar on that hill.

I love my Ridgeline, but it is not made for towing. It is rated at only 5000 lbs towing capacity and as your numbers show, the Maristar is over that or at best right at it. I would rather not be that close to the towing capacity if I were towing it more than a couple of miles.

I would say get a bigger truck. I had a V8 Mountaineer prior to the Ridgeline and it did no better in towing the Maristar (although it had over 100K miles on it).

mccobmd
10-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I tow 45 miles every time I go to the lake. That's why I have the Armada. My X1 is 3500-3800 fully loaded. Armada rated at 9200. I get 14mpg towing at 65MPH, 18mph at 65 not towing. It pulls about 2200rpm at 65mph with the boat on back.

ejg333
10-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I have a 01 Dakota quadcab 4.7 V8... I tow my 02 PS 197 Tandem trailer everywhere it's ok on the flats with mild temps but when it comes to the hills and the triple digits temps it runs hot nd struggles on the inclines I wish I had a bigger truck looking at a upgrade for next season. ( yes it has the tow package nd well maintained)

99xstar
10-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Curious as to how much your 99 x-star weighs?

I am usually pulling out of the basement with half tank of gas (~20 gals, 120 lbs) and that is it. I wait until I get that boat back around to the house before loading gear. I would estimate ~4500 lbs max.

MariStar-Man
10-06-2009, 12:36 AM
buy a toyota !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you talking as an owner or a something starter...lol...?:)

I'm also loolking at the Toyota Tacoma. Here's some spec's...

Maximum towing capacity (lb.) 6500

Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) (lb.) (with Towing Package) 8100 (11,100)

or something like this should work...

http://www.carl-kia.com/XfVBcGOp/1bd6bcf3-03b8-f62c-fe92-5a067255a4c6.jpg

cdawake
10-06-2009, 03:45 AM
either will work- the truck will preform better because of its rear suspension. but a real truck will most definitely be more satisfying- tundras included

kjohnson
10-06-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree with all of the Tundra guys. I can barely feel my boat behind my Tundra. Plus you get Toyota's incredible reliabilty and high resale value. Can't beat it. Best truck I have ever owned. The only bad thing is it is too damned long (I have the extended cab). I have a hell of a time in my parking garage at work sometimes.

jrhollow
10-06-2009, 11:09 AM
I tow 45 miles every time I go to the lake. That's why I have the Armada. My X1 is 3500-3800 fully loaded. Armada rated at 9200. I get 14mpg towing at 65MPH, 18mph at 65 not towing. It pulls about 2200rpm at 65mph with the boat on back.

I have a Qx56 (same as an Armada) and it does a great job pulling. You don't notice the boat on the back. No complaints so far!

I had a 2001 Yukon with 120k miles on it. It was great for the first 100k and then the steering loosened up and it was an accident waiting to happen.

carracer
10-06-2009, 11:17 AM
as a six time owner started with SR5's before the tacoma's came out then had three of them and now a I-FORCE Tundra 4x4 best truck out there, I don't care what everyone else is saying just try before you buy

capnkirk52
10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Ford all the way. Don't limit yourself to a V6 in the smaller vehicles. Get a V8 and be done with it. I would have to say Ford over Toyota and both over Dodge, Chevy because they took the bailout money hahah. I think that is BS.

Have you thought about a Ford V10? That baby is super reliable and you can pick a used one up for cheap right now. You will get the same MPG or better than a Tundra while towing and you would have the benefit of a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. Bigger TQ, Brakes, Towing capacity will really be a great tow vehicle.!!

YooperScott
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Don't limit yourself to a V6 in the smaller vehicles. Get a V8 and be done with it.

I can't resist.....

Don't limit yourself to a little toy 1/2 ton V8 gas truck. Get at least a 3/4 ton turbo diesel and be done with it. I mean if you don't have 2 to 3 times the tow rating of what you want to tow then surely it cannot work. :D

Let's not forget the topic of the thread is Ridgeline OR Pilot. Nothing about Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, etc......The question was asked how they tow from people that own them. Answer is, mine has towed my 190 fine. My uncle's tows his Maristar 200 fine. Neither of us tow them much but can and have. Others have answered that they tow with them too. One guy said he cannot pull a '99 X-Star up a big hill with a Pilot (won't even go) yet a 4.7L Dodge has no trouble. I wonder if the Pilot was accidentally in second gear or the parking brake was set or something? Just find it odd that a small V8 has "no problem" and the Pilot was not even capable of moving it.

Finnsdad
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I wonder if the Pilot was accidentally in second gear or the parking brake was set or something?

That is a great point. People get in these and do not understand how they work. "I always used to tow in 2nd with my old Chevy". Well, with the Honda if you put it in 2nd it will only be in 2nd, not 1st into 2nd. They say this is useful if stuck or on slippery surfaces, I have never had to use it. Also, the VTM4 lockout should only be used if you are stuck, and not over 15mph. It will tear up the clutches in the transfer case if used for extended driving.

A great source of Ridgeline info is the www.ridgelineownersclub.com forums, lots of knowledgable folks, just like here!

Hollywood
10-06-2009, 02:57 PM
OK, so what makes a difference for towing...

Wheelbase:
Ridgeline: 122"
Pilot: 109.2"

Weight Distribution F/B:
Ridgeline: 58/42
Pilot: 56/44 (2WD) 55/45 (4WD)

Curb Weight:
Ridgeline: 4504 lb
Pilot: 4319-4608 lb
WASH (all sorts of weights in beween for Pilot)

Towing Capacity:
Ridgeline: 5,000 lb
Pilot: 3,500-4,500 lb

The Ridgeline is the clearly the better hauler.

capnkirk52
10-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I can't resist.....

Don't limit yourself to a little toy 1/2 ton V8 gas truck. Get at least a 3/4 ton turbo diesel and be done with it. I mean if you don't have 2 to 3 times the tow rating of what you want to tow then surely it cannot work. :D

Sure the Honda can work. But are there better options for what he wants? We all know the answer is yes.

As far as the topic? This thread is over a year old so they guy has already got what he wanted and I don't want Maristar Man to post a million threads about his new pickup that won't tow properly hahahaha. j/k MM.

YooperScott
10-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Sure the Honda can work. But are there better options for what he wants? We all know the answer is yes.

If what he wants is a vehicle with the primary purpose of towing then yes, I agree. But Then again if that's the case then the best option is not a gas V8 either now is it? 8p

OhioX14
10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Yukon XL, Suburban, or Escalade XL. Once you own one you realize there is no better boat hauling, people hauling, cargo hauling, vehicle out there. So strong it's easy to forget the boat's back there and you have total flexibility over a bunch of people, gear, or both. Yukon and Tahoe are good (used to own a Tahoe) but when you go that far why not get the rest of the truck when it's not much more. You'll be glad you did and never go back.

bbymgr
10-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Yukon XL, Suburban, or Escalade XL. Once you own one you realize there is no better boat hauling, people hauling, cargo hauling, vehicle out there. So strong it's easy to forget the boat's back there and you have total flexibility over a bunch of people, gear, or both. Yukon and Tahoe are good (used to own a Tahoe) but when you go that far why not get the rest of the truck when it's not much more. You'll be glad you did and never go back.

Why not get a real truck? International CXT.........it's a diesel and can tow 20 tons. It might do the job.:rolleyes::rolleyes: